Cotat & Snapper

My fellow BassetBrother (Dale) had given me a gift of an 05 Pascal Cotat ‘Les Monts Damnes’ [Sancerre] in a (futile!) quest to convince me of the glories of aged Loire. We had a friend visiting who likes Loire wines and doesn’t eat red meat, so I popped in to the fish monger to find something to pair with this serious white. (Most of the time, whites in our casita are quaffed, lasting no longer than 10 minutes…)
IMG_20190501_190044.jpg
I picked one of gigantic 4 lb pink snappers on the left, and had them trim the fins and gut the fish. I came home and popped the Sancerre while chopping some herbs, and making a mango salsa. The first splash of the wine in a glass gives a straw and oleander kind of nose. The label seems quite hardy to me, impervious to age/decay. 13.3% and a North Berkeley import.
IMG_20190503_192054.jpg
This doesn’t show the crisp, bright notes I would expect from Sancerre, but has mellowed with age, with a rounded mouth feel, and some mineral notes on the palate. We drink up the whole bottle sitting by the pool, and gobble up about half the fish. That iron skillet has been in our family for close to 100 years I think. After a couple glasses of wine, you don’t want to drop it on your foot.
IMG_20190503_193214.jpg
A very nice evening, and the bottle of wine was much appreciated. I would have been unlikely to try this otherwise. Still I like fresh, fruity, and crisp whites more. I’ve not had much luck with Sauvignon Blancs in the last few months other than an excellent bottle of young Cloudy Bay. I guess this vineyard is vinified by both the Cotat cousins?

That is some seriously iron! I love the wines either of the Cotat wines - both are working at a high level and can age very well.

Fish looks good!

I love Cotat wines. I used to buy quite a bit with intent to store and age, but instead drank them within months of purchase. I was not successful with the ones that I tried aging with premox hitting quite a few.

I think the best Loire Sauvignon Blancs tend to need a few years to open up, but having tried several aged examples, I’m not convinced that maturity leads to something better the way it can with some other grapes like Chenin and Chardonnay. Maybe I’ll find one that will change my mind, but at this point, it would surprise me.

WA has been using “cast iron pan” in recent notes, now we know the genesis!!

Fish looks beyond awesome.

We have had three dynamite SBs recently, and all of them could be had for well under $15:

• 2018 The Crossings Sauvignon Blanc [Marlborough, New Zealand]

• 2016 Villa Brici Sauvignon Blanc [“Vinska Klet Goriska Brda”, Slovenia]

• 2016 von Winning Trocken II Sauvignon Blanc [Pfalz, Germany]

Judging from Wine-Searcher, that “Crossings” has outstanding distribution throughout the USA.

On the other hand, the only white from the Loire which I consistently appreciate seems to be Melon [Muscadet].

That looks bleeping awesome! :+1:

Nice !!!

It’s not always about zingy, afwe-type, bracing, slate-licking whites for me, especially as I do have to entertain guests who don’t go for those.

For light, fresh, fruity types, my go to these days are Friuliano and other varietals from Fiuli-Venezia-Giulia, as I discovered quite a few with enough mineral complexity for my needs.

I have 11 bottles of Francois Cotat from vintages ranging from 2004-2007. Various vineyard designates. I probably should open one and see how they are doing. Thanks for the notes.

Both Pascal and Francois make Les Monts Damnes (and Grande Cote, think only Francois has Culs des Beaujeau)
You like fresh crisp whites more, Comrade Condrieu? :slight_smile:
I love both Cotats, but more in slightly leaner vintages like '04 and '07
But fish looks great and glad you enjoyed

Well Condrieu is special :slight_smile: And even then I still have it young! Just got some Christophe Blanc today!