Friday lunch with some serious classics

Today was a special Friday lunch where we asked everybody to dig deep into their cellars and bring a really special bottle. We lost a couple of people, and our gmax ialthough it has been promised in the near future. This meant all the wines were red, and as usual we went from young to old.

Flight 1
Chave 1990 and Rousseau Clos Saint Jacques 1996
The Chave was a late import, and far and away the best bottle of this I have had. Still young, it showed that wonderful Chave perfume of leather, red fruit and cedar. Brilliant, but great bottles of the ‘90 like this need a minimum of another decade.98

The Rousseau began as disjointed, showing acid and some fruit. After some minutes in the glass, it had a wonderful floral sweetness to it, and although the acidity was still slightly high, the fruit and mid to end palate lift made this a lovely wine. Showing the telltale 1996 acidity, it was a wine that I would still seek out. 94+

Flight 2
Mouton 1982, Mouton 1986 and Latour 1990
Again a really strong flight, the 1986 just pipped the 1982. In fact, although the ‘86 could use a few extra years, it was much purer than previous examples, showing none of the funky overlay of previous bottles. The 1982 was fully mature, and surprisingly seamless. An exotic nose of spices, fruit, cedar and pencil shavings.
The Latour was opulent, rich, and yet less open. It certainly belied it’s reputation for being early maturing. Lots of good things but not really wanting to show much on the day.

Mouton 1982 97 1986 98 and Latour 1990 97+

Flight 3
La Romanée Bouchard 1970 and Gros Renaudot Clos Vougeot 1962

An enigmatic flight
The Bouchard was strange and almost impossible to pin down. A moving target if you like, the nose never settled, and it could not stop changing in the glass. On the palate pleasant enough, although slightly pruny but the finish was long and interesting. Will give it a 92? and remain puzzled.
I assume the Renaudot was part of the Gros family, but a new one on me. Pleasant wine that kept improving in the glass, and when I went back to it a couple of hours later, it was really rather special 94

Flight 4
Vega Sicilia 1962 and Vogue Musigny 1962

The Vega sembed incredibly young, and blind would have guessed it to be no more than ten years old. Dark cherry fruit, spices, pipe tobacco and cedar. Excellent finish in easy layers. A lovely wine. 97

The Musigny was extraordinary, perfect and the best wine I have had this year. This is why Burgundy can be so addictive, light, perfumed showing cherry, violets, anise and cinnamon. Great length and precise flavors, a totally sensual wine. Yes, perfect 100 points.

MARK,

FABULOUS!

Can you project a future lifespan for the 1990 Chave, of course, stored in ideal cellar conditions?

Thanks

Wow, great tasting, Mark,
I wasn’t expecting the Musigny would sneak in there at the end and steal the show. Interesting, I assume you organized based on age without regard to variety of grape? Cool!

I hate to say it Donn, but if I buy older Chave, they are from Europe. They seem fresher and display greater depth than those American imports. Not sure why, Kermit was anal about shipping the wines, but… I compared the 1983 from British importer, Yapp, and a Kermit bottle, and the Kermit was on the verge of collapse, while the Yapp was at its apogee.
This 1990 needed a decade to be at its best, or if you want it now, at least a two to three hour decant.

Wow, that’s a few steps up from your “luncheon clarets.” The BWE group had the 1982 and 1986 Mouton a year ago, with identical results. The 1986/was preferred by the majority. I picked the 1982 for its exotic, seamless, complex maturity over the 1986’s power, but on any given Sunday…

I’ve had one of those Chaves in the cellar since release and was thinking the time had come to open it. I’ll put it back on hold and hope it’s one of the good ones.

Nice lunch!

1970 was not a really good vintage in Burgundy, and the 70 LR is no exception. 1969 and 1971 are far better. Moreover the wine-making then - vinification by Jean Forey, father of Regis - was not on the highest level, although in my comprehensive LR-tasting vintages like 1973 and 1975 showed astonishing well (for these vintages). I´ve tasted the 1970 twice, and it was no better than yours, I gave it 91 points.

Gros-Renaudot was the old name of the Gros-Domaine, run by the four children of Jules Gros (Jean, Gustave, François and Colette).
They split up the domaine (I think in 1963 or 1964) into Gros Frere et Soeur, François Gros (later Anne et François, now Anne) - and Jean Gros (now Michel).
So 1962 might have been the last, or 2nd last vintage of Gros-Renaudot.

Thanks Gerhard

Mark, thank you for your kind invitation to this event. I greatly enjoyed meeting so many serious wine connoisseurs who were generous with their knowledge, and I appreciate the wonderful meal, beautiful setting and generous hospitality extended by you, Nancy and even Oliver once we got to know each other. It was a splendid afternoon.

Following are my own notes.

1996 Armand Rousseau Gevrey Chambertin 1er cru Clos St. Jacques

light cherry red color just starting to brick, on the nose unexpectedly serene, cherries, the barest hints of wet animal fur, on the palate quite young still and very tightly coiled, firm tannin and structure, mid to full weight fruit still in hiding to some degree, fine finish with a lengthy fragrant aftertaste, game, cherries, chalk tones, continues to build in scale with air but remains deft, at a point where a few very storied 1996s are starting to get a bit dusty on the tail end- this remains balanced and evolving at a glacial pace, exceptional potential here and I think this wine’s best days will be upon us soon.

(*****), 2026-2046

1990 J.L. Chave Hermitage rouge

purple-red color just starting to brick, marvelously rich nose, cherries and dark fruits, saddle leather, bacon, and yet regal in tone despite its decadent elements, on the palate all the promise on the nose delivered, fully ripe fruit- plums, cherries, berry, playful gamey notes, despite all of the development this still feels very young to me, certainly ready for indulging now- but it seems to have decades left to go and potentially more glories to reveal.

*****, now to 2040

1982 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild

deep red purple color with some bricking, aggressive roasted cassis on the nose, on the palate monolithic and somewhat muted, fiercely structured with tight fruit, with time in glass it unwinds to some degree to show intense fruitcake notes, a chocolate like sweetness and loads of rich cassis fruit, I personally think it needs more time but despite its reluctance today there is a decadence here which is quite evident and in contrast to the more pure and massive feel of the 1986 tasted alongside, I should also note that given how old this wine already is- I think there is a risk it may never fully blossom in the way I would hope.

***(), 2028-2075

1986 Chateau Mouton-Rothschild

young dark purple color, massive nose, cassis, fruitcake, dark plums, pepper notes, on the palate a voluptuous and piercingly pure core of ripe fruit on a scale rarely seen in a wine that is also properly balanced and fully showing its breed, the palate a near-mirror of the nose with cassis, fruitcake and cherry notes, white mineral streaks with time, still incredibly tannic but with time in glass these softened to a sufficient degree to reveal an excellent balances that convinces me at long last that this wine will go the distance and unfurl as may of us had dreamed it might, a glorious wine with a purity the 1982 will never have, and at this point my personal favorite of the two great titans of Bordeaux’s Golden Decade.

*(), 2031-2075

1990 Chateau Latour

deepish garnet color with slight bricking at the rim, classic cedar and cassis nose, on the palate a fine depth of ripe cassis fruit, soft tannins resolving, fine length, still a bit of oak sticking out on the palate, surprisingly relaxed and friendly but this bottle also seems to be a somewhat reserved, following on the heels of 82 and 86 Mouton might impact that impression, an elegant Latour and most enjoyable- but this bottle was somewhat reluctant to show its full glory, possibly a passing phase.

**** for this bottle, now to 2035.

1962 Gros-Renaudot Clos Vougeot

color almost completely bricked, beetroot and aged Pinot on the nose, a bit medicinal with gravel notes, ripe cherries with time, on the palate surprisingly good with a great depth and freshness of fruit than originally suggested by the nose, plums, soft and subtle developed spices, good length, exceptional persistence and perfume, past its best but still attractive.

***, drink soon

1970 Bouchard La Romanee

pale red color with heavy bricking, dark spice and cloves on the nose, dried cherries, savory herbs, on the palate plummy and most of all- spicy, velvety and alluring on the middle but ever so slightly hard around the edges, I have had a number of 1970s over the years and this is surely the finest one I have yet tried, and to answer the inevitable question that arises when one tastes La Romanee- this bottle has the volume and almost the relative proportion of spice that one might expect of a Romanee-Conti of similar age and vintage quality, but not anywhere near the spherical presentation or digitally defined detail, that said- this remains a very successful 1970 and even in the presence of some legendary wines I very much enjoyed it.

****, now to 2025, time in hand but I would drink fairly soon unless you want to save one for a particular milestone occasion or vertical tasting

1962 Comte de Vogue Musigny

pale orange red color, a ravishing and decadent nose of dark cherries, rose petal, baking spices, on the palate a wine of impressive scale and yet deft as a ballerina, layered, luscious, cherry and floral notes throughout on the palate interspersed with an infinitesimally complex and delicate web of spice notes, with time a blueberry note emerged, length to burn with an intensely fragrant aftertaste, as with the handful of great Musignys I have tried- this is truly thrilling, no other word says it better, so delicate and yet persistent, fresh and yet savory, even days later the spine tingles at the memory of the sheer passion of this wine, possibly the finest mature Musigny I have ever tasted. In a good place still, but at the very tail end of the finish this is starting to show signs that a long and very slow decline is imminent. Time in hand, but I would enjoy this sooner rather than later.

*****, now to 2027

1962 Vega Sicilia Unico

bright red young color, chocolate, dark fruits and polished earth on the nose, on the palate find depth with a smooth and seamless fruit leading into a long and fragrant finish, on the palate cherry and intense blueberry notes, chiseled grey stone edges, there is a lot going on here but the wine is still very primary and will need more time to fully reveal itself, drinking beautifully today but worth saving a few to see what comes in time. I have not had many vintages of Vega Sicilia Unico, but this strikes me as a particularly elegant example.

*****, now to 2040+

Great notes Tom! I shall have to put off the drink date for my lone bottle of 1986 Mouton :slight_smile: