Are you buying white burg to cellar for 10+ yrs?

Curious what the current zeitgeist is re: cellaring white burg.

Asking for a friend.

Nope!

Buying to pop in 5.

Some, yes. Though not at the grand cru level.

No. And aged white Burgs used to be a top category for me.

Yes because I’m young, chasing the magic that comes with age, and optimistic about DIAM and other things that have been done to address the premox plague :slight_smile:

For a certain few and very limited producers, yes.

Absolutely nothing.

I’ve never cellared white burg, but a couple years ago was bitten by the bug with PYCM. Been buying lots of St. Aubin, and drinking them slowly. Not intentionally trying to age them but conserving them may cause me to test out aging some of them.

Seems that PYCM is on the lower premox risk side of things, but I’m curious if others feel it’s worth the risk. Also curious if people feel that aging as little as 5 years offers any material development.

Not intentionally, but I bet I’ll have a few unintentionally leftover to roll the dice on.

Two categories:

1. Young wines - No, although I may not drink every bottle as quickly as I hope to do.

2. Older wine - Occasionally buy some (generally a bottle or two at a time) based on a note from someone I trust (often Greg at Envoyer) saying the wine is good. For example, I have had good luck with older Ampeau wines and have recently gotten a couple of 2004 Chandon des Briailles wines from PV.

No, but I’ve rolled the dice on some older Corton Charly’s at auction this year. First 2 bottles of '06 J Prieur have been great. I just figure 1/4 will be pre-moxed, so I factor that into my buying/bidding calculations.

While I’ve loved the aged white Burgs I’ve had, the price times the risk has really held me back. So my strategy now is to buy 1ers and drink them at 5-10 years old, village slightly shorter and Bourgogne Blanc for near-term consumption. PYCM 2017 BB for example is absolutely delightful right now.

Only my Aligoté

j/k Not really but I did just open some 2005 Meursault that rocked my world so maybe?

Yes, like others selectively. Holding a bunch of '14, which I will check in on at about 8 years, and if all is well, I’ll keep holding. Like others, also backfilling from reputable dealers, where, if sent premoxed bottles, I can return. BTW, I think those Ampeau, of which I have also had a few are late releases, no?

Nope.
Still have a few I’m cellaring from pre 2005. It’s too late for those. If they’re good, they’ll be great, if not, they were pox’d years ago, so no difference.
I bought zero for years until the 2013 vintage was released and bought a few to try again. Buying limited quantities each vintage since. All of these bottles will be consumed well before 10 years, with the large majority consumed before 6 years from vintage. Have moved away from better Beaune 1er’s until there’s something other than speculation & theories about POX. I’ll be fine if that harder evidence never comes. I don’t need 3 figure white burg in my life.

Zero.

And that would be drastically different but for premox.

Yep, mostly from Chablis though.

Yuppers.

I’m planning to do so with a handful of 2014s. Will be interesting to see if I lose my resolve