2018 Rose

I searched but didn’t find a thread for the new vintage. My usual roses are (high quantity in bold):

Triennes
Pomponette
Gobelsburg Cistercien
Bedrock Lulu
Fonstainte de gris
Pibarnon
Bastide Blanche
Matthiasson

Haven’t had any 18’s yet besides Triennes, but wanted to open a thread for people to share notes…Triennes was excellent quality as usual.

Opened a Tercero. Been one of my go-to roses the last 2-3 years, and this one did not disappoint.

Tercero is the best Rose in the market place IMO

I’ve only bought Tercero and Bedrock for 2018, but have only tried Tercero so far. Fantastic.

My surprise Rose of the year has been 2017 Toads Hollow Eye of the Toad Pinot Noir Rose. Nice complexity and structure with a finish that lingers what seems like forever. And an awesome QPR to boot!!

I’m thinking 2018 may be a light year for my rose buying due to the heat of the vintage. For the past two or three years I’ve bought a lot of both Gobelsburg Cistercien and Clos Cibonne Tentations. The 2017 Cistercien is drinking incredibly well right now so I bought a bunch more of that at a great price. The 2018 Tentations showed very ripe compared to the last two years. It may be that the 2018 Gobelsburg will be good as well but haven’t tried it yet. That wine usually has a lot of acid and energy so it might hold up well to a riper vintage. I also don’t really know if 2018 was hot in Austria.

Best rose in the world? Or a really good value ?

We’ve been crushing the 2018 Eric Kent. A reliable buy every year, but really nice this year.

2018 Tercero for me. I used to buy Commanderie de Peyrassol, but haven’t liked their recent releases.

The latter, but it will hold its own against many from elsewhere, if that’s the style you like. It has sufficient acidity and even a bit of tannin sometimes. And unlike so many rosés from Garnacha, it doesn’t have those bubblegum and melon notes that make so many a turn-off. In fact, over the past few years, we’ve found that rosé from Garnacha is usually a very easy pass, no matter where it’s from in the world. That includes most from Provence, which is an area I avoid when looking for rosé.

Domestically, a few recent ones were Cline - they also makes a rosé from Mourvedre/Monastrell, which is pretty good with a lot of grapefruit notes. There are also many nice ones made from Pinot Noir - in fact, if I see one, I’m usually willing to give it a shot as that seems to be the best use of that grape. Red Car comes to mind, again no bubblegum, lean and crisp and Dowsett Family Becklin Vineyards “Georgia Rosé”, also from PN with no melon or sweetness. Then there was Uvaggio from Lodi which was mostly Cinsault with a bit of Grenache and Vermentino

Not as good were Caddis from Mendocino was a bit over the hill when we tried it, but it was Garnacha, and Paetra Eola-Amity Hills, which was a bit dark and too ripe for my taste. Very small producers so I wanted to see what they were doing. Some of their other wines are pretty good, so it’s not a judgement of their entire production.

From elsewhere, a few recent ones we had would be Ameztoi Txakolina Rubentis Rosé - really good stuff, tart and citrusy; Prieler Rosé, from PN with just enough fruit to balance out the acidity; Gobelsburg Cistercien Rosé which was just exactly what we wanted - Austria is a good place to look for good rosé IMO. THen there was Saladini Pilastri Consenso Rosato which might have been a Garagiste mistake and tasted every bit like a cheap rosato even though made from Sangiovese, and we’ve had some wonderful ones from that grape.

But those were not all 2018, just consumed within the past few months.

Dehlinger Rose of Pinot Noir. Annual buy and my favorite domestic rose

Tercero 2018 was very nice.

Anyone checked in on a 2017 Tercero recently? PA State stores seem to have a decent amount of it at $30 (quicker than having it shipped at least)

I’ve had both 2016 and 17 Tercero lately. Plan on drinking my last 16 this summer while holding my last 17 for next summer. The 16 is tasting just fine as of 3-4 weeks ago

I used to drink a lot of Commanderie de Peyrassol but I haven’t liked at least the last five vintages and the price has gone way up.

I just finished one over a couple of days this week. Aromatically it is spectacular and is drinking really well. I think it drinks best some where between cellar temp and regular refrigerator temp. I would definitely suggest buying some.

Thanks for all of the kind words, my friend. My 2017 is truly drinking wonderfully right now - and it’s last call as I’ll be ‘switching over’ to the 18 within the next two weeks. Reach out if you’re interested in getting any.

Glad to hear the comments about the 2018. I’ve only had it a few times over the past month, and to me, it’s still a ‘tenacious teenager’, vibrant as can be but a bit ‘rough around the edges’ for sure. To me, it drinks best on day 2 or 3.

And I agree with Bryan - I think the wine shows best around cellar temperature and too cold. It’s a more ‘textural’ rose, not one that’s acid driven.

And if you want to try something a bit ‘different’, search out my 2018 aberration - a stainless steel aged blend of 100% whole cluster fermented cinsault, grenache and carignane . . .

Cheers!

Agreed. I had my last one about a month ago. In a nice spot.

And I’m sold

for me it is
Baudry Chinon Rose
Triennes
Lucien Crochet Sancerre Rose (pinot rose)
Fonstainte Gris de Gris Corbieres Rose
Tempier current vintage is the 2017 the 2018 should release in June or later
added a few Lopez de Heridia Viña Tondonia Rose 2009 current vintage to the cellar today.