Jackson Family Wines CEO calls for protections against imports

“If we were to continue selling wine from other nations, we would be teaching the next generation to drink imported wine," he said. "… There are 125,000 wine SKUs in the U.S. with more imported SKUs arriving all the time from some of the 150,000 wineries on our planet.”

1 Like

He likely researched all this with an American-made computer.

The next generation should be so lucky.

We need a better, higher pricing structure and tariff protection to compete with rising imports," he said at a Santa Rosa meeting of local business and community leaders. "So how do we get a tax on wine imports to achieve a fair playing field around the globe?”

We already have a higher pricing structure and tariff protection. It’s called the three tier system. It’s not better, but he should be happy with two out of three.

He makes and imports wine from other countries, I bet he will want some sort of protection for those as a US based company.
I say let the price (without excessive taxes) and quality be the judge of what we should be drinking. I love both US and European wines and will continue to buy both. But I do not plan to buy any KJ wines.

He’s an idiot.

Tigner said imports were once a smaller part of the total wine business. In 1990 imports were about 25% of wine sales across the country, and now imports are closer to 40% of the business.

In 1960 what percent of the total business was imports? In 1970? In 1980?

In 1960, how many bottles did America produce vs France and Italy? In 1970? In 1980?

So the US ramped up production and took market share from France and Italy. And KJ announced a number of years ago that they wanted to push into foreign markets. They created a label called Collage for export. Maybe they should try to compete on quality/price, rather than look for tarrifs.

KJ seems to be doing well as one of the largest producers in the US:

WBMTop30.jpg

Protectionist nonsense. Not much of a capitalist, is he?

F*ck him. One more reason not to buy his stuff.

Don’t chaptalize your opinion there, amigo!
That’s a twofer joke! KJ, sugar…eh?

Other countries should impose a tariff against US raw lumber. Hit KJ where it hurts.

I’d be fine to pay more not to drink most of JFW wines.

The imposition of tariffs is inherently political.

I wont be drinking his stuff for a while…

Maybe he thinks he’s Stonewall Jackson?!

Obviously we need a wall along the Eastern seaboard to prevent those Euro wines from getting in.

He would have been fine if he had stopped here: “We should have fair wine trade which means getting other wine producing countries to lower their tariffs, taxes and duties [to match ours]”

If you can’t beat em, don’t let them play.

Maybe if we lowered sugar tariffs?

wow, what an a**hole.

They have some good juice in their “Spire Collection”. Some of the best is imported.

https://www.spirecollection.com/