From what states in the US have you had good or at least palatable wine?

I can’t do it as a poll because you can’t have 49 choices (no winery in Alaska last time I checked, so please make a list of any states that have not already been listed. I will start it off with my list, which I think covers all the obvious ones plus a few more.

I have had good wine from CA, WA, OR, ID, NM, NY, CT, MI, VA and almost (mediocre but not shitty) from PA.

PS - For the less-skilled, Canada or its lesser jurisdictions, Ontario and British Columbia, are not states. neener

California.

I’ve had “good” wine from CA, WA, OR, TX, and NY. I’ve had “palatable” wine from NC, NM, and VA. I’ve also had wine from the great commonwealth of PA, but none of the many wineries I’ve tried fall into the previous 2 categories! [snort.gif]

I am similar to Brian.

CA, WA, OR, NY, and add Colorado thanks to Kyle Schlachter!

Define “good”. Do you mean potable? I think many states make okay wine, some better, and a few better still, but it’s difficult to compete against the Left Coast as they have an abundance of nature on their side. What were the Pennsylvanian wines you had that you didn’t like? There are decent wineries there.

For me - the obvious - CA, OR and WA.
Also, NY. Most recently, Forge Cellars. They have a delicious late harvest but super dry Riesling and a Pinot Noir that are so different than most Finger Lakes wines. Worth looking for. I met the winemaker last year and he described how they let their Riesling grapes hang a bit longer but still can get them to be bone dry.
I have also enjoyed some of the Channing Daughters wines from Long Island.
I have had good white wines from Virginia - reds, not so much. (I’ll have to search my notes as to the name of the VA wines I liked).

And the surprise one: Vermont. (Vermont - it’s not just hazy IPAs).
La Garagista makes some interesting wines - the one that I think is quite good is their Ci Confonde petillant naturel. Deirdre Heekin is the winemaker. She makes a white and a rose pet nats. Very nice - like a fresh cider, with lovely floral elements and good acidity. She makes other wines using hybrid varieties as well.

California
Washington State
Oregon
New York

Haven’t tried much else domestically. I will try some CO wines later this year. I am also planning to buy Gruet (New Mexico) and sneak it into a blind bubbles tasting.

OR, CA, WA, IN, NY & NM & KY.

J

Jay - When you use the word wine - I assume that is any fermented beverage using fruit as the base and not just fermented grape juice.
So I will add Maine - for its blueberry wine. (Very different than the blueberry wine you served at one of your prior WB events).

Good wines from WA, OR, CA, AZ, VA, MI, OH, NY, MO, TX, CO, NM

Palatable from VT, PA, MT (though I think the gapes came from elsewhere), ID

Also had a great Blueberry wine from ME

Not many, but I did once have a Cynthiana from GA that was quite decent. Now I will admit to also being on a 70-mile bike ride through the mountain range and might have been a bit dehydrated, but, it was quite good.

California
Oregon
Washington
New Mexico

CA, WA, OR, NY, CO, NM, CT

CA, OR, WA, MI, NY, NM, TX, CO, MO, AZ, VA.

Add Georgia and Virginia to the usual suspects.

Norton/Cynthiana is a weird and wonderful grape. I’ve had good examples from Ohio and Missouri too. Ohio, has some good bedrock (barely glaciated marled limestone hilltops coming up from KY) for great wine, but the weather only seems cooperate about once a decade. The best winery in Ohio (Kinkead Ridge) sold, then froze, and is now soy beans. I’ve had some nice riesling from Michigan (but not better than Germany), some nice late harvest pinot gris along Lake Erie (but not better than Alsace) and suspect anywhere in the Niagara Escarpment can make good wine in good years: Niagara Escarpment - Wikipedia

I tried extensively in the Finger Lakes and didn’t find anything that was palatable–but it could have just been a bad year.

Gruet’s wines are much better than potable, so I think we have to include New Mexico on the list.

I’ve had a few excellent icewines from Vermont.

Good: CA, OR, WA, NM, TX, MI, VA, MD, NY, NC
Palatable: RI, IN, NJ, WV, PA

I have had good wine from California, Oregon and Washington plus in limited amounts from Virginia (the best one I have had is a Chardonnay from Linden) and Idaho (years ago, probably in the late 70s I had a pretty good Chardonnay from an Idaho winery (was it called Saint Chapelle) - have never seen it since). I have had palatable wines from New York, and Maryland. I have also had wines from Pennsylvania.

CA, CO, OR, WA