TN: 2013 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard

2013 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/2/2019)
This has not evolved a whole lot in the last year, but it has become more open. It’s very drinkable, if you want young Syrah. The full force of black fruit, olive, meat & herbal nuances are all there on the nose and the palate, and the tannins, while still quite strong, are mostly confined to the finish. The balance appears to be correct for significant aging, and I would expect 3-5 years to reach a stage where it is more complex, and combined with the overall drinkability it will be quite irresistible.

Posted from CellarTracker

Update tonight:

• 2013 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (3/25/2020)
    Similar to a bottle last year, this is open, but not particularly evolved. Smoked meat, dark berry, violet, cinnamon spice, new leather and a hint of bourbon spice makes for a fascinating aromatic tableau. It’s dense and equally complex on the palate, with blueberry and earth supplemented by a red meat finish. Tannic structure is balanced with the stuffing. It’s progressing slowly, but in a delicious direction.

Posted from CellarTracker

If I could only drink one varietal wine from Rhys it would be their less lauded Syrah.

Shame they ripped up many of the vines…

Same here.

I do miss the Skyline Syrah.

I have a hard time with the many times overpowering white pepper note, especially with the Horseshoe.

Not something that strikes me with the wine.

I’ve never experienced too much pepper in a wine and that character is one of the elements that makes the Horseshoe truly world-class in my opinion.

My poster child for white pepper Syrah is Arnot-Roberts Clary Ramch.