Mystery champagne - Leclere-Minard

I found this on a shelf in the Savoie right next to the Vouette et Sorbee. Anyone know anything about this?

I’ve been unable to find any info on web or CellarTracker. Maybe a one-off?

819C0920-C831-4525-BF08-2581E1D27DC0.jpeg

Can’t help but stopped by to say that I love the shop. Was pretty sad to hear about the recent threat that forces them (or their online business rather) to change their name.

I am changing my name to Vinograf in protest. 8^>

[cheers.gif]

Joe,

I know nothing about this wine except that it is made by the cooperative in Coulommes-la-Montagne. I don’t know whether or not all the grapes come from Coulommes-la-Montagne or not, but, if not, they are likely from the close by villages; the cooperative is also closely tied in with the village of Vrigny. With it being made by the cooperative, it is hard to know if this a large scale cooperative blend bottled under numerous labels for numerous growers or something done with a little more focus and direction from a grower or smaller group.

Thanks Brad. Will open next weekend and post a note.

I finally opened this at the start of a casual evening with friends so only had a glass. It was probably the right setting for this. It’s an undemanding drink. A reserved nose with rich lemon curd and modest sparkle in the mouth. Enough sweetness to bring to mind a limonata which is not usually my jam but I still found this pleasing. Not much else going on but also nothing to distract. I’d be pleased if every other sub-$30 champagne I opened was this well-behaved.

Thanks for the TN, Joe. I would be surprised if you had actually found anything less than a solid wine given the shop’s track record. Then again this price point is not the treasure trove for grower Champagne it once was, especially when we are talking about a small retailer outside of the Champagne region. Outside a select few (Hebrart comes to mind first along with Chartogne’s Sainte-Anne) it’s become hard to find wines that are more than pleasant and well made in the sub-30 € range. That said the 30-40 € range still kicks ass so much that I cannot really complain.

It’s funny that you would mention the St Anne cuvée, because I happened to open one of these (dg 1/17, US purchase) side-by-side with the L-M.

I was actually surprised by the degree of similarity between the two. The Chartogne was not quite so rich and had more of the typical complex bitterness that marries well with food. Apart from style, though, not a large qualitative gap at this point. (There was no disgorgement day indicated on the L-M, but a recent release I would guess.)

I really like Sainte-Anne quite a bit but naturally it is also a stylistic thing. On the other hand I have also really, really enjoyed some other northern Chardonnays from the likes of Henri Giraud, Pouillon etc. Damn, I am really developing a craving for bubbles here!