TN: 2013 Sky Vineyards Zinfandel

Finally tracked down a bottle of this. I was intrigued after Morgan at Bedrock made a Sky Vineyard designate.

Crimson in color. 13.4% ABV. Brilliant nose of brambly red fruits, pepper and a hint of peach. Medium body with mouth watering acidity. The embodiment of a Claret style, mountain grown Zinfandel. Strawberries, raspberry compote, cocoa and earth on the palate. Tremendous length on the finish. Just a delicious, albeit somewhat restrained, Zinfandel. Best over the next 3-5 years.

My rating: 93 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles.

Tom
IMG_1107-e1556653395474.jpg

Tom
Thanks for the note. I have always loved Sky Vineyards and will search out a Bedrock to try.

Yup, Tom…sounds pretty much like the Sky Zins I’ve had over the yrs. A rather rugged/rustic mtn Zin but w/ a sense of restraint…an old-timey Zin. Lore Olds is
a very good grower.
Tom

Lore Olds is an all-time great name.

Was the vineyard destroyed in the fires last year?

from the site:

A brief update from Sky, on October 3, 2018:

As you may have heard, we experienced significant losses in last year’s October Wine County fires. Our home burned down but our winery miraculously remained intact. The fire swept through all of our vineyards, and we have been assessing the loss over the past year, but fortunately there are still live vines fighting to survive. We harvested what we could in September 2018 and are happy to report that we are open for business, working on rebuilding, still have delicious wines to sell, and are still able to make Sky.

Nice Tom! I need to find a bottle of this as well - was damn impressed with a barrel sample of the Bedrock Sky Vineyard. Thanks for posting!

It wasn’t the easiest wine with shipping just to California and limited retail. Worth the search though.

Tom