TN: 2010 Rhys Syrah Horseshoe Vineyard

Wonderfully expressive and slightly high toned nose of violets, smoked meat, iodine black pepper, olives and wild berries.

The expressiveness carries through to the mid weight palate. Lovely balance of fruit (blackberries), acid, salinity and dried Italian herbs.

This is showing very well right now. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I had a 500ml of the 2013 last night that was delicious.

I think this is my 3rd try if this, but the first where it felt well and truely open.

I had a 2011 this past weekend and I thought it was lovely. While clearly new world, definitely made in style reminiscent of the northern rhone, which I like.

It was showing off the charts in 2015. The bottle I opened that summer was the most impressive Rhys wine I’ve consumed to date.

Had one of these a few weeks ago. It was all green things to start off, green olive, green tobacco, green peppercorn, cured meats, fruit hidden. Had a hunch and let it sit a day and oh my. Beautiful berry fruit, florals, cured meats, and all the green notes had integrated into the wine rather than on top of it resulting in a wine with an ethereally silky body and elegant presence. It totally caught me off guard. If you stop and think about it you can pick out all the notes, otherwise it is easy to be transfixed by the silky tannins and weightless body as it washes over you. Suzy can’t drink syrah anymore so shipped my last one off to Alfert. Perhaps someday he will be in this thread to educate the unwashed masses on the finer points of green syrah.

Professor Alfert here. Soon, grasshopper, soon…

These American-made syrahs, so quaint. :slight_smile: