TN: 2017 William Fevre Chablis “Champs Royaux" - SEA Limited Edition

This is sort of a “part deux” for William Fevre Chablis for me. We tasted the 2017 estate bottling a little while back and we were impressed. This wine is a négociant bottling I believe. My expectations were modest based on some previous comments, but I was pleasantly surprised by this wine. Bright, clean lemony fruit. Dry-dry and lively in a controlled way. Very nice herbal/mineral aftertaste. Well balanced and enjoyable. From memory I would say the estate bottling was perhaps a bit more multidimensional, but this is very satisfying to me. And the price makes it a good QPR ($17 at my local Costco).

Had this some time ago. Really liked it and for that price it is an absolute winner.

I wasn’t as enthralled with it. Found it a little bland and not more-ish. Seemed insipid and lacking. Where was the sea spray. Where was the Kimmeridgian lift? I prefer the Brocard Cuvee St. Claire VV for a few bucks more. YMMV

Mark, the “sea” and “Kimmeridgian” that you found missing are actually right on the label of the wine that I am tasting. It is apparently a “special” version of the "Champs Royaux called “SEA~Limited Edition” and even features an illustration of the oyster-rich Kimmeridgian on the label also. Who knew? I didn’t until I looked a little more! The two labels of the Champs Royeaux are shown below for comparison. Cheers -Jim
champ royeaux.jpg
SEA limited edition (2).jpg

I guess they left it out of the version I had!

I didn’t mean to imply that those were actually INSIDE the bottle. My guess is that the “Limited Edition” is different in label and marketing spin only.