2015 Mondavi To Kalon Reserve - $95

Belmont Wine Exchange has this again, this time at $95 (was $90), but 96 bottles from the email.

Seems like a lot of discounting (winery price of $175) on this wine as of late.

K&L has sold this for $99.99 for the past few weeks (at least). Not as low as Belmont’s current price, but it still makes me hesitant. Seems like aged Mondavi is the way to go?

I paid $90 a few weeks ago from JJ Buckley

You guys got good buys…

Internet Wines had it for $89.99 a few weeks ago.

I bought a few from K&L to fill out a 6 pack for shipping. I’ve bought the last 7 vintages at below release. Once a year or so Wine on the Way will have a good sale price as well and their free shipping can make for a good deal.

Available for $95 or $99, and the winery sells it for $175. That’s simply ridiculous.

There is no worse deal in the world of wine than large Napa producers like Mondavi and BV at their list prices. They routinely sell their wines at 20-40% above retail, and more than that above discounted pricing in the market. Even their wine club members, after getting what nominally seem like large percentage discounts, are usually paying more than smart retail shoppers.

I’m not sure what the point is – maybe to capture the price-insensitive buyer in the tasting room and the impulse wine club joiner, maybe to set a price that creates the impression of prestige in their wines, maybe just the old shopping mall jewelry store deal where you create a phony high price so that you appear to be giving a big discount off of it to your wine club.

I get that they can’t undercut retail, but I don’t really get being consistently way above retail.

BV club discount at least get close to smart retail but the problem is you get lots of their “other” stuff like Maestro Collections, etc, which aren’t worth it. I joined a few years ago to get their GdL tasting on a visit for free but quickly dropped after realizing the GdL price was only 10% better than just being on their mailing list and choosing what you want.

Shafer is similar. I bought some wines off their club only to see them significantly cheaper at Total Wine. Pretty annoying.