Formerly Known as Leo's Blind Tasting Group - April 2019

Cheryl hosted an amazing dinner at Left Bank in the West Village. As we enjoyed the excellent bistro style food several people commented on how familiar the restaurant seemed and we realized it was the same spot as the late, lamented Braeburn where I had hosted the second blind tasting 9 years earlier.

Gosset 15 ans de cave a minima brut - on the briochey side which is not my favorite style of Champagne, but very good for that style.
Selosse Substance - definitely flawed, I said TCA but got little support for my position. They were wrong. A tragic loss that diminishes us all.

94 Chave Hermitage Blanc
99 Chapoutier Ermitage Le Meal Blanc
04 Chave Hermitage Blanc

There was some debate as to whether the 94 or 04 Chave was the more wonderful wine. Most people gave the nod to the 2004, I preferred the 94 by a hair. Both needed time in the glass but were layered and complex and altogether gorgeous. On any other night both would have been contenders for WOTN. As is almost always the case Chapoutier made a wine that I found a little boring. At least they’re consistent.

1989 Jaboulet La Chapelle Hermitage
I’ve had the 1990 three times each of which it was completely shut down. This is my first time with the 1989 and it is singing in a pure beautiful tenor voice. In its prime where it should remain for quite a while. Would have been my WOTN if not for the
1985 Chateau de Fonsalette Syrah which displayed captivating garrigue notes on the nose and a subtle complexity that I found a trifle more charming than the lilting joy of the Jaboulet. Apparently it seemed completely dead on decanting (Cheryl wasn’t even going to serve it) but came to life with air.
1982 Penfolds Grange Hermitage - oak and vanilla, vanilla and oak. Does it ever integrate? I guessed Aussie Shiraz on this one. The people who like that sort of thing loved this wine.

1989 Leoville Las Cases
1989 Cos d’Estournel
1989 Lynch Bages

I guessed a flight of St.Julien and therefore my self back patting lasted 1/3 of the way through the reveal. The LLC was another strong contender for my WOTN but the Cos was also great. My first time having it and I greatly prefer it to the 1990. The famous Lynch Bages was a bit too ripe for me. Not bad but a step down from the other two.

2007 L’Ecole Estate Perigee Seven Hills Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
2009 L’Ecole Estate Perigee Seven Hills Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
2010 L’Ecole Estate Perigee Seven Hills Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

An homage to our founder. I guessed a CA Cabernet that picks late/ripe but doesn’t overoak but had no idea beyond that. And I found it a little confusing as the 2 usually go together. Again not my style but people who go for ripe wines enjoyed them very much.

2015 Guigal Condrieu La Luminescence Viognier
2008 Ken Forrester Noble Late Harvest Chenin Blanc

No notes but I remember both being very good.

Bravo, Jay, for continuing this group, and for the homage to Leo via the L’Ecole flight…

The '89 Bordeaux flight made me jealous.

I drank my last 1985 Fonsalette Syrah last year and greatly enjoyed it:

1985 Château Rayas Côtes du Rhône Château de Fonsalette Cuvée Syrah - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (12/1/2018)
Burgs, Rhones, Piedmont, and Krug: A brilliant aged Syrah more reminiscent of Cote Rotie than anything else. It keeps getting more youthful and complex with air. Fantastic.

There was about 20% of the bottle of the 1985 Fonsalette remaining after the tasting, which I threw in the fridge and tried again two nights later and it was still showing very well. I’m very disappointed that this was my last bottle, as it still has plenty of life left in it. (94 pts.)

What an awesome lineup. Love the Leo tribute flight, and that’s just an all-round awesome set of wines. Love that note on the old Fonsalette Syrah - I’ve put a few away in the cellar to see what happens with more time, and this has me very excited/optimistic.

I’d say yes. Adrian and I had this recently at a dinner and the bottle was absolutely incredible. Oak integrated, vanilla much less apparent and showing tons of bright fruit/herbs/eucalyptus. Both of us thought it was stellar (and one of the best Aussie wines we’ve both had), so yes, I’d remain hopeful. That said if we drink any Aussies soon, I’ll bring Wendouree for you instead of Grange (which is still out of my budget).

I’d rather drink Wendouree any day.

Nice Jay.

I liked Braeburn - had a few dinners there. Didn’t know it closed.

It’s been gone for 7-8? years now. Loved their banana pudding :slight_smile:

Braeburn was great. I think there was another restaurant in that space after it and before Left Bank, but I can’t remember what it was anymore.

It was probably only slightly corked, and since others didn’t perceive TCA, it wasn’t corked.

Joking aside, that’s a wine tragedy. That’s such a special champagne when on. My salivary glands start firing at the thought of it and I’ve not had one in a couple of years.

Ignore the complaint from the man behind the curtain about the Grange. It was FANTASTIC. AMAZING at 37 years old and still not at its peak. I did, however, agree with him on the Selosse. It was slightly corked and a real disappointment, since I had never had Selosse before. Here was the entire line up:
FKALBTG.jpg
I will write up notes for the anti-AFWE brigade tonight. Everything was outstanding except for the Selosse and the white Rhone flight, which was not bad, just not up to the level of the rest of the wines.

Yes it was amazing that after 37 years the Grange should still taste overwhelmingly of vanillin oak neener
The white Chaves were magnificent and in my top 5 of an amazing night.

Both the Rhones and the '89 Bordeaux have me salivating.
Nice lineup!

There is something seriously wrong with your palate. The Grange was expressive red fruit which had not yet fully emerged, but was the principal flavor component.

The white Chaves were good, just not up to the rest of the lineup.

Don’t forget it’s still May

My actual note from when the Grange was still blinded read
“Oak! Vanilla! Oak, oak, oak!”

Funny – a group of us recently had the 82 Grange at a dinner with a large lineup of heavy hitters (02 Selosse, 03 Clos de Mesnil, 78 Diamond Creek, 06 Truchot, 89 Unico, 98 Jacques Perrin, etc.) and the Grange was almost universal wine of the night. And we’re generally an AFWE group too…

Can’t disagree with the assessment of oak and vanilla though. Sometimes it’s done right. Most of the time, it’s a disaster.

1982 Grange was a major epiphany wine for me back when it was released. A local retailer snuck a few customers a taste in the back room. I bought a 6-pack, overcoming my guilt at spending the outrageous sum of ~$40/bottle. Based on the last one a few years back, I’d agree with Adrian on the oak and vanilla.