Best Wine Consignors and Auction Houses

Who in your opinion are the best places to consigne wine to? I have had great experiences with:

WineBid.com (lots of eyeballs!)

I would be interested to hear who was good in your opinion and why for larger collection moves.

I considered sending a shipment to Winebid recently. They quoted me prices below what last transactions were (I know because I had bought one), and then insulted the quality of the wine collection saying there were no blue chips and I should be happy to get what I can. And then when I said I would go elsewhere, they implied they would threaten me with legal action because I was legally obliged to go through a middleman such as them. It was mind boggling. I know others have had positive experiences, but this experience was comically offensive.

I have used Flickinger many times and always got good pricing and great service.

I really like K&L - good hammer prices, lower commissions (no commission if you take as store credit), quick payment.

wow. That’s impressive. So did you go with them? lol

Nope, it made me re-revaluate using them in the future as well. And then I logged into their website and bought 3 more bottles.

[rofl.gif]

Seriously, that’s insane. I’ve had good experiences with WineBid on small collections of decent but by no means blue-chip stuff.

Whats the sellers premium on winebid?

And how do I see the prices realized?

I agree, I had good experiences with WineBid.com but was curious where anyone else has had good experiences with great hammer figures and cost rates.

The Winebid experience can vary dramatically depending on whether you are buying or consigning. I’ve never had problems as a buyer. My experience consigning was almost as offensive as Shan’s. (I suspect we dealt with the same point person.) I did end up consigning twice and had no problems once the wines went up for auction, but the attitude was so hostile, I never will never consign with them again.

I would absolutely agree - Flickinger is a first rate operation. I have used them over the last 10+ years to sell (and also bought from them as well) and have always had good experiences with them. Sometimes I have used them to sell a small amount (dozens of bottles) and sometimes a large amount (over 1,000 bottles) and they have done a good job pricing the wines and being effective at selling a large proportion of them reasonably quickly. A great option, particularly if what you want to sell isn’t solid cases of premier wines that could go to auction.

Have used K&L three times and overall would rate high on service and results, though the most recent time (within the last month) a couple bottles went for lower than their anticipated range.

Any experiences with Benchmark? I am talking to them currently based on their partnership with CT.

I think it really depends on the type of wines you are looking to sell. If it’s nothing but Grand Cru Burgundies, then I would probably go with Hart Davis, if I am a Bordeaux chateau looking to sell excess inventory, Sotheby’s seems like a good choice. I personally would avoid Acker, but Zachys would in the mix.

I am selling part of my collection, and chose Heritage, who I find are incredibly easy to work with, and with a largish collection, with a ton of one to four bottle lots are making sure that they are devoting enough time to do the lotting etc. nice people too.

Is there a seasonality to hammer prices that any of you have observed? I am wondering if there is a more optimal time to try to sell wine (e.g., spring or fall when buyers can get wine shipped etc.).

Curious on the comment of avoiding Acker. Is that due to the Rudy issue?

I recall reading on other WB threads they believe in there is seasonality. Eg summer months when can’t ship, less competition.

CT has an arrangement with Benchmark but I’ve never tried it.

I had this exact experience the last time I offered some wine to their east coast rep. Truly obnoxious. I don’t do business with them anymore (buying or selling)

Sounds like this is a pattern. I had the exact same experience last fall and my collection had a decent amount of desirable bottles. I ignored his extremely unprofessional response, considered forwarding his note to the senior management of Winebid, but ultimately did not and went someplace else. That’s the last time I try to sell anything on Winebid. I’m still tempted to forward that note, however…

Never bought or sold on Winebid.

I’ve auctioned wines with Acker (before Rudy), Heritage, and Hart Davis Hart. All were very easy to deal with, communicated well, did a good job of creating appropriate lots as I had almost no full cases, paid in a timely fashion, sold everything, and achieved an expected or higher net. Each time it was 20 cases or more. I would happily use Heritage or HDH again. I won’t use Acker again because of the Rudy history.