Joseph Phelps...thoughts?

One may hear Joseph Phelps and think Napa Valley Insignia. Looking into their portfolio, it appears they have a couple other Cabs and a Syrah. Also vineyard designate Pinot’s and Chards from their property on the Sonoma Coast.

Has anyone had any of their wines of late? Are they are priced well considering the quality? Most of their 2016 wines across the board were 94-100 points. Thoughts?

They’re not what they used to be, in my opinion.

That is not to say that their wines are not good but they are not as good or special as they once were and they’re prices are significantly inflated. I used to buy at least some bottles of Insignia every year but I stopped at 2007. I’ve had most of the recent vintages at tastings and I’m not buying at those prices. Same goes for the Cab. Good but not for the $$. I haven’t had the Chardonnay.

They’ve moved to a bigger, slightly sweeter profile across the board, and their Cab and Syrah is probably not good QPR. Their pinot is a crowd pleaser, but larger in style than I typically prefer. I get some Insignia every year, but it’s pricing me out as current releases are getting right around what you can buy 1994 and 2002 for.

I had their 2015 Napa cab recently and thought it was good for the price, tho not profound. You could do a lot worse off a steakhouse wine list, imo.

Since the 2002 Insignia, I have not hunted for Phelps wine.

I no longer like their wines. They went to the bigger, sweeter Napa style that I don’t appreciate.

Great in the 70s/80s, especially the Eisele. Nowadays, not worth a thought.

Back in the 1990s the Mistral was a pretty good wine. I believe they’ve since sold off the label or the vineyard, not sure which, but I haven’t picked it up in many years.

Same here. 2002 was the end for me. They jacked the price up on the 2003 Insignia. I said no thanks.

Had an 07 Insignia at a tasting a couple weeks ago. Would eco what has been said above. Good wine but not something I would spend my money on at that price. For the heck of it I would say that at $125 I would buy a few bottles a year.

Moved away from that but cannot really remember why. I used to love their Napa cab when it was still a relative value. Bought Insignia every year for years but stopped at least in part because of cost. Been to the winery several times and have liked, though not loved, many of their wines.

Their Backus single vineyard is delicious. Its a small plot of land directly below Dalla Valle and next to Au Paradis and Weitz along the eastern hillside.

I recently had a 2012 out of magnum and with a two hour decant it was singing. I may be wrong, but I think you can only purchase this if you are in one of their wine clubs.

Ditto. Still made in the old style it seems. An aged bottle of this wine is absolutely spectacular. Had a 97 last year that was special.

My question to folks who stopped at 2002 Insignia. Was it the price increase after or the wine?

As for Backus, it’s a big, massively oaked Cab. I like it, but the oak load is intense. If you’re oak sensitive it may not be for you. If you can tolerate quite a bit, it’s stout stuff.

I have 36 bottles left in my cellar. 1/3 Insignia, 1/3 naps cab, and 1/3 mixed. Dropped off the list in an effort to diversify more and not feel pressured into buying wines just to get other wines. I really like their Napa cab bottling and it is a go to for steakhouse wine / work dinners. Insignia is opulent, but overpriced. The others I am bleeding off when we have company at the house.

I also don’t like the fact that their winery tasting room isn’t kid friendly. That fact alone gave me a sour taste and just upholds the stuffiness associated with wine culture. I get it, if I didn’t have kids I would probably be complaining about how snot nosed rascals are running around and keeping me from focusing on tasting.

iirc the 2002 Insignia was Wine Spectator wine of the year. The 01 and 02 had high Parker scores. Was buying the 01 for under $90 (again iirc the list was 120). After the publicity, list fairly quickly jumped to 180 and net sales prices jumped a lot.

I dunno? Picked up 3 of the 2014 Insignia for $160ish several months ago. Still like the wine as well as the regular cab

Sounds like they have joined the many in CA that have taken on a more “modern” approach to wine growing/making. Interested in trying their Chard’s and Pinot’s out of their Sonoma Coast properties.

My intrigue got the better of me. Purchased a 2015 Pastorale Vineyard Pinot Noir $70 . Not so typical Sonoma Coast that I’m more accustomed to. For those who aren’t big fans of Syrah like Pinot, (think Kosta Brown 5+ years ago), I think this may surprise people an established Napa Cab house is making true to varietal Pinot Noir. Closed at first but after a couple hours the wine was singing. Nose of cranberry, sour cherry, leafy and scorched cedar on the nose. Higher acid yet smooth mouthfeel, with pomegranate/berry fruit and an earthy slight woodsy finish. For new world, this actually is restrained and more elegant than I would have imagined. Would rather spend $70 or less on other Sonoma Coast Pinots, but was impressed nonetheless. 92 pts in my book.

My thoughts for sure. They’re more modern wines, especially the top bottles, and they seem to be made to get big scores, In my opinion!