Grapes as an alternate agricultural crop.

From the Onion today:

Might drive down prices as supply increases.

Ha! Love the Onion…

Every time I watch/read the Onion, I cry .

I was laughing at this until I saw the following comment on Reddit, and it made me a bit sad people truly believe the rest of the country makes sh!t wine…

“With so many options available from regions known to produce good stuff, why would I want to drink some random wine from some region that has no history of creating wine let alone good wine?”

There are wineries in all 50 U.S. states. And let’s face it, in more than 40 of those, they make mostly shitty wine, but the wineries over there are destinations. They are often event venues, booked for weddings and corporate retreats, and the wine is a side income. Some wealthy types see it also as a vanity retirement project, and maybe they’ll even import some grapes from California or Washington State to make semi-decent wine if they have someone vaguely competent to make it.

The rest of that wine is indeed often very shitty, because made with native grapes which you can only make sweet stuff with that will be barely acceptable for cooler drinks or as a sangria base.

That’s all there is to it. It’s not so much about the wine, it’s about the venue.

Reddit is wrong again, unless there was a recent approval of a license for a winery in Alaska. As of the last time I checked, it was only 49 states. :slight_smile: I have had good wine from CA, WA, OR, ID, NM, NY, CT, MI, VA and almost (mediocre but not shitty) from PA. That’s a good thread by itself. I will start it.

There are several wineries in Alaska. Mostly fruit wine and grapes from other states from the looks of it.

https://www.gotastewine.com/ak-wineries.php

You showed that there Onion who’s the boss!

champagne.gif

According to Jancis Robinson in her book “American Wine” there are 5 wineries in Alaska. Denali Winery in Anchorage and Alaska Wilderness Winery on Kodiak Island are both specifically mentioned. (Never had wine from either)

Stupid facts.

The rest of that wine is indeed often very shitty, because made with native grapes which you can only make sweet stuff with that will be barely acceptable for cooler drinks or as a sangria base.

Great doofy mansplanation. Of course he’s wrong.

Are you calling into question the temerity of The Onion?

That quote isn’t from The Onion.

Thanks everyone, I do feel a bit better now :smiley:

The strange part of this is I was recently with a medium size grape grower and winemaker at an industry event that was talking about the wine glut in Northern CA and OR. He talked about how a couple of the US negioants had been cutting prices for grapes they were already contracted for.

According to him, more grapes is the last thing the industry needs. Which way is it, or both. High demand and high prices for high quality fruit like Beckenstoffer to Talon and a gut of low quality grapes?