TN: 2013 Nicolas Joly Clos de la Coulée de Serrant

2013 Nicolas Joly Clos de la Coulée de Serrant - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Savennières-Coulée de Serrant (4/26/2019)

How special is this 7 hectare Chenin Blanc vineyard? It is one of only a handful of vineyards in France that is an appellation unto itself (the others include but are not limited to Romanee-Conti in Burgundy and Chateau-Grillet in the Rhone). Sections of the vines are 100 years old. The vineyard was planted by Cistercian monks in the year 1130. Joly refuses to use clones and takes cuttings from his oldest Chenin vines when he must replant to conserve the typicity of the vineyard which has been biodynamic since 1977. The grapes are picked by hand in up to 5 passes. 2013 is the 882nd consecutive vintage of this wine.

Vigorously decanted 7 hours before drinking and then returned to the bottle. Medium yellow color. Some ginger and honey on the nose. Rather spicy with an oxidative quality. Notes of peach pits, wet stones, apple cider and cinnamon. Very good depth. Solid acidity and a long finish. Full bodied wine. Give this time. 93 points.

VM

Thanks for the note. I have two bottles of the 2011, but have never had this wine before. The CT notes are generally not encouraging, with complaints of excessive sweetness, oxidation, alcoholic heat, and so forth.

I have no idea whether I should be drinking these now before they get worse, or if they need time to improve, or what. I realize your note is on the 2013, but if you or anyone has any big picture thoughts on what to do with these wines, I’d love to hear them.

I should start off by admitting my prejudice, a 2002 CdS about a decade ago supplied one of my most profound wine moments, perhaps the first fully dry Loire chenin blanc of my experience, it was delicious from first sip until 2 hours later, throughout a full dinner, changing and expanding the entire time.

That said, if you read the first 100 or so of the nearly 800 CT notes on this wine, I think you will observe that while some folks simply don’t like it, and obviously there is some bottle variation, by and large this is very much enjoyed and considered an exceptional wine.

Personally, I do think that most vintages if well-stored will last and mature for a very long time, again notwithstanding personal taste. I have 2002 and 2005, the former I last drank about 9 months ago and observed no undue aging, and the latter I drank our first bottle from a case 2 years ago, and while it was definitley botrytized and packed with “sweet fruit” flavors, it was also totally dry, and I thought more young than old.

As for the vintage, my impression is that while not as strong as the vintages I have tasted (2002, 2004, 2005) 2011 is at least average, and while 2013 seems less settled, neither is considered anywhere near too old.

Not sure how much help the above is, but best I can do at the moment.

cheers!

Steve, your comments sounded good to me!

It’s certainly a polarizing cuvee. Counselor, you’re often rolling the dice with the CdS, but if you get a good one, it’s all winning all the time. Some previous notes:

From June, 2014, the 2006:

"2006 Nicolas Joly Coulee de Serrant

At my instruction, Tran decanted this for 12 hours the night before. I’m glad we did. nose starts out speaking of kumquat and buttertart raisins. But some flowers and some other tropical fruits phase through the aromatics. And it’s so unique, so finely unique. Such a tactile wine. You’ll never claim elegance, but hard to not want to keep tasting through the night–which is what we did, tasting through edges of dragon fruit, apricot and fig, then switching briefly through sweet yellow raspberry, then back to some more dried fruit and settling on yellow plum. For pure pleasure, the dessert wines won. But for pure quality? This is the WOTN for me."

Same wine from April 2017

“2006 Nicholas Joly Coulee de Serrant Some beeswax inserts itself into plenty of yellow fruit, maybe a bit of sweet corn too. This has some go-gear to it on the palate the first night, but I am left unsure as to whether this bottle is at the edge of its maturity drinking window. The next day, the flavours have still held on but it’s gotten stricter. An interesting puzzle for sure.”

From April 2018, with a Chablis prelude needed for context:

"2012 Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Forets

My bring and, sadly, my last 12 Chablis. Last one was a good 'un. Lime and lemon aromas with slight touches of slate, limestone. This is a real beauty dans la bouche—it is clean yet with a gentle creaminess and a very pure lime note coming through. That purity is exalted by the arctic char tartare that they served this with–magical match. This is drinking superbly right now and is a delight and yummylicious exemplar of Forets.

2001 Nicholas Joly Coulee de Serrant

and it didn’t hold even the tiniest candle to this wine, which is bottled magic and easily the best Coulee I’ve ever had. Decanted for 2 hours or so and it was the perfect chimaera in the glass aromatically. We started with fresh maple sap, but then it led through a quince-and-melon stage and then, by the end of the night, balsam, walnut oil and fig had taken their place. The palate is a match for the nose, with “quiet authority”—the finish is sneakily long, really takes the back of your mouth and lasts forever. Tran and I had an exquisite duck dish which was very flavourful—but which only served to heighten the effect of the Coulee, which stood its ground wonderfully. I know Joly doesn’t always get it right, but this vintage and this bottle? He sure as chivalry got it right. Shudderlicious and a sure entrant in the WOTY listings for me. I think I could coax a 94 or 95 out for this wine."

April 2018 (later that week):

“2009 Nicholas Joly Coulee de Serrant
So this, on the heels of the incredible 01 we had on Wednesday, was a great study. It finds itself sitting in my mouth for a long time as I assess it. We do realize it’s quite younger so we let it slow-ox for a day and a half. That said, this is certainly on the idiosyncratic side of how he makes wine. Sort of a bitter buttered pear thread if that makes any sense, along with some lanolin, this just doesn’t knit together. Nick put it best, perhaps—recognizing the quality, he finds it hard to enjoy the wine. I would need to agree.”

Chris, I’ve only had the 2005 vintage 6-8 times over the last decade and a few from 2007 (the 07’s showed heat damage). I definitely can see why some people might not like this wine. It is unlike any other out there. I love it when it’s “on” for me that’s been every bottle of 2005 that i’ve had. I found I really enjoy them in their youth…and I’m hanging onto my last 2005 to drink with wine geeks once it’s at least 15 years old…maybe I’ll be able to wait until it’s 20; but I doubt it. If you have multiple bottles I would say it’s worth checking in on one you have this summer. I find this wine goes really well with simple savory foods like roast chicken, or Parmesan Risotto. I hope this helps. There is a dry, almost oxidative note that is present…but rarely do I find these flawed. More like Sauvignan from the Jura.

I had the 05 many years ago. Really liked one, the other bottle was so-so. Perfect example.

Chris, my hesitant advice, given the vintage, is to try one now but decant for at least 7 hours. But the 11 should be special if it’s on…

Don’t want to sound like a jerk, but that info is a little off. I believe you are talking about “Monopole” AOPs. There are many vineyards which have their own AOP. All of the Alsace Grand Cru and Burgundy Grand Cru technically have their own appellation, plus the two you named and a few others. The three you named are Monopole AOPs, which means they only have one owner and are their own AOP. La Tache, Clos De Tart, La Grande Rue and La Romanee all in Burgundy also qualify for that label. BUt this wine is one of only 2 Monopole AOPs outside of Burgundy.

Love this wine too, if you have anymore let it rest 15+ years…

Cheers,

I too don’t want to sound like a jerk, but that info you just typed is a little off. La Grande Rue & Clos De Tart are monopoles; but they are not their own AOC like Chateau-Grillet, Romanée Conti, & Coulée de Serrant. There is a difference…and maybe I’m wrong; with the recent shift from AOC to AOP. I’m open to other thoughts…but in the past thats how it’s been explained to me.

Currently all Burgundy Grand Cru have their own AOP. La Grande Rue was first established as it’s own appellation in 1992, it was most recently updated in 2011. The Clos de Tart AOC/AOP was created in 1939, but once again updated in 2011. Now if before 2011 some of the Burgundy ones were clumped I am not sure, I’ve never heard that, but it could very likely be accurate.

Alsace is a little more confusing because they used to have 1 over arching Alsace Grand Cru AOP that covered all of them. But since 2011 each of them is also their own AOP.

Here is a link from Guildsomm that mentions the The Grand Crus of Burgundy, it’s on page 5

Well…back to Coulee…
It’s my favorite white wine in the world.
BUT it is certainly polarizing and can exhibit lots of bottle variation.

At what age, or range of ages, do you tend to find these the best? Do you think these need long aeration?

Thanks.

Denying a correction that could’ve been easily googled actually makes you sound like a jerk, at least in my eyes. If you type “La Grande Rue” into google, literally the first result is “La Grande Rue is an Appellation d’origine contrôlée (AOC) and Grand Cru vineyard for red wine in the Côte de Nuits subregion of Burgundy”. Kasey was 100% correct with the info on appellations.

I’ve always thought that if in doubt, the best thing to do is always google first and not just try to remember what has been explained to you in the past. Quite often it keeps you from sounding like jerk for false claims.

I usually seem like a jerk for completely different reasons.

M. Joly recommends a 24 hour decant. While they age practically forever, I prefer them at 5-7 years. I do still have some 02, 04, and 05 though…

Otto,
You’re right…I think it was probably a knee jerk reaction to someone challenging a long held belief. It is clear as I do a little digging the information I had been told was not completely accurate.

Kasey, my apologies.

I’ve edited my post. Thanks for the clarification.

VM

Kirk, no apologies needed, but if you ever make it out to Utah let me know we can share a bottle on me!

As far as the Coulée de Serrant, it’s very difficult for me to pick an age to drink these. I’ve had them at 20 years and thought they were great and I’ve had them at 5 and loved them as well. I do feel like with 5+ years of age they start to show more, young they are great, but you could easily buy one of Joly’s lesser wines and get almost as much out of them at a young age for much less money.

I had the '96 in 2008 and it was spectacular with about 3-4 hours of air. The most recent vintage I’ve had was the '02 in maybe 2014…also a spectacular bottle. I clearly like these with a decade or so on them. Agree that these can have bottle variation and in any event, this isn’t a wine for everyone. But when they are in the zone, they are very good to incredible.

And what happens on that desert island when Google is not around? Perhaps we lose out intelligence?

Leave it alone for at least another 5-10 years. I opened a 2002 last year and it was spectacular, the 2009 - it was infanticide :frowning: [oops.gif]