A rather spiffy dinner

• 1995 Krug Champagne Vintage Brut - France, Champagne (27/04/2019)
    From magnum. Quite tight initially. Needed an hour to start to open up. Classic Krug profile for me, although less oxidative than is often the case. I would hold in this format for another decade at least.
  • 1995 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (27/04/2019)
    From magnum. Immediately, much more giving and open than the 95 krug and DP (also both from mags) served alongside it. Lovely notes of golden honey. The favourite of the crowd tonight.
  • 1995 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (27/04/2019)
    From magnum. As with previous mags, quite tight and austere. Nice balance but worth waiting a decade in this format.
  • 2007 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Corton-Charlemagne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru (27/04/2019)
    Simply perfect. Lovely balance and length. Classic yellow and white fruits wrapped around a steely spine.
  • 2002 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée St. Vivant - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Romanée St. Vivant Grand Cru (27/04/2019)
    Still so young but very approachable already. Effortless poise. Dark fruits with a lovely sweet perfume and palate. Obviously still quite compact but has everything to age beautifully for decades. Sadly, my last two bottles.
  • 2006 Château Le Pin - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (27/04/2019)
    Removed cork and left in the bottle to slow ox for 12 hours before a quick decant. Very classic Bordeaux with fair bit of graphite/lead pencil and darker fruits. A nice balance to the wine which presented in a very elegant fashion. Will obviously improve from here for a decade or so. Perhaps, a little overshadowed by the sweetness and energy of the 02 DRC RSV served with the previous course.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Dan - sounds like a terrific evening. I’ve managed to miss ever tasting '95 Cristal over the years. Sounds like I should change that!

First time I’ve tried it and it was from a mag so no idea if it’s representative of bottles but it clearly stole the show vs the krug and dp.

Yes, Cristal can be sneaky good! I don’t think I’m seeing any of those reds in my lifetime, so it’s good to hear someone is genuinely enjoying them.

I have some DRC RSV and had tried it recently. It has that signature DRC nose and taste. Definite treat to be had. Glad you enjoyed yours as well.