3 Sunday Dinner Bdx.

Very quick notes from dinner last night (for the main of porcini-encrusted rib-eyes) with 3 wino buddies (nothing served blind):

1970 La Fleur-Pétrus - My bottle, quickly double decanted to remove sediment after being stood upright for 4 days. Breathing time was in our glasses. Eventually gained weight up to slightly over medium body. Good depth, respectable medium+ length, almost velvety. Slight ferrous/sanguine & loamy character to the fruits (which include a note of preserved tamarind). Old-school Pomerol. Still very enjoyable; but I won’t wait longer on my remaining bottles as I suspect this will start sliding at an increased rate. Time to drink.

1989 & 1990 La Mission Haut Brion - From Alex & Keiichi, respectively. Neither decanted; though the ‘89 Alex slow-oxed for a day. As there are copious WB notes on these two, I will forego descriptors. All I’ll say is, side by side, they are more similar than ever I recall. The ‘90, unsurprisingly, seemed marginally fuller in body than the ‘89 (the latter slightly more rigid in structure); and had more ripe-sweetness in bouquet and on the palate.

I imagine I’d have been able to tell them apart if served together half-blind; but, until that happens, I wouldn’t really know.
86B078E6-482D-4C61-A5EC-CA72C9B72490.jpeg
F02FAA0F-D743-4E80-B35D-391B1F8251B2.jpeg

Noel,

I had the 74 of the Lafleur-Petrus recently; even it was showing pretty nicely, which surprised me. Thanks for your always interesting posts.

I like your style! Always a pleasure to read about your dinners!

Clearly, when I call you Senior DC Counsel with respect to your balla status, even you are country compared to Noel, and I’m sub-country!

Now that is a mighty fine night!

Heck of a dinner! Looks like a great time. '89 and '90 La Mission… I would love to drink those side by side!

Interesting! I’ll pick one or two up if ever I come across any, thanks.

I’ve had very little experience with ‘74s from anywhere. All I recall offhand are: ‘74 Latour (served blind around 3-4 years ago which I couldn’t even identify as Bdx - much less Pauillac or Latour); ‘74 d’Angerville Volnay Champans (sometime in 2014; barely drinkable); and, ‘74 Contino Reserva (in March 2010, served over lunch by Jesus de Madrazo Mateo - the wine made by his father - actually pleasant enough; though clearly way, way past prime).
8324B19A-53AB-4492-A5B5-8F7A55DB8EDB.jpeg
B47C0759-786D-4AE1-AAE6-C50340D868D8.jpeg
CD1783A1-C4A9-43C1-A746-DDC720005094.jpeg

Thank you, Neal!

Hahaha…how do you say in American? It certainly didn’t suck? Did I get that correctly?

:clinking_glasses:

Yes, indeed fun, thanks! The subject side by side was the idea of those two who brought the bottles. I didn’t even know about it until late afternoon “pre-game bubblies” before the dinner itself.

These were the pre-game bubblies; and, the post-game whisky (with cigars). After such a Sunday night, I worked from home the next day.
3729B8C9-497A-4A9F-8AB3-BD81046C4D9A.jpeg
96E040F8-0EEB-4043-843D-5D42AE7A9AB7.jpeg

pitch perfect!

Great post Noel, I wanted to say kudos to the guy who brought (what appears to be) his daughter.

Haha good to know!

Hi, Craig. Thanks. The little girl is Keiichi’s daughter. Her mom is out of the country for a short while; and, it being Sunday (observed as family day here), Keiichi, dutiful dad, brought her along for dinner. She and her nanny went home early though.

You’re a better man than I. After a night like that ‘worked from home’ would have been more like ‘“worked” from home’.

To be clear, Noel, I’m not suggesting that you go long on these :slight_smile:. (I myself was surprised and can’t think of any other '74’s that I have or liked of late.)

Always love your dinner and wine notes Noel, stay well my friend.

Haha well, that too.

Should be ok just to try out. Just one or two bottles for curiosity’s sake, for so long as the price is reasonable - which I believe would likely be the case. Not much call for ‘74 Bdx.

Thank you, Mike!