Bordeaux for burgundy fans

A friend and I were discussing today that it would be fun to find wines that have some of the qualities of a burgundy but yet have power of some of the other wines we like. He likes Barolo and I like both Barolo and Cab Sauv.

So keen to hear what are some of the more elegant Bordeaux. Wines that have the freshness & minerality of burgundy and yet showcase the best of Bordeaux

85 Cheval Blanc

[cheers.gif] [rofl.gif]

Thanks Marcus.

It would be also great to get views on styles of different houses and more recent vintages to buy.

It is much easier to find a more powerful Burgundy than a Bordeaux with the elegance of Burgundy.

Producers I like that I think of as making more powerful wines include Rossignol-Trapet, Jadot, and Bouchard Pere.

You might also consider some more traditionally made wines from Rioja, Ribera del Duero or Brunello.

I drink mostly burgundy and very little Bordeaux these days, but I’d think Margaux and Ducru would have to be up there. One that surprised me last year was a 2006 tertre roteboeuf. I’ve had other vintages and not been as impressed, but the 06’ really shined after a short 1-2 hour decant. It wants food, but it’s not a necessity.

This might be entirely off the wall, but consider Domaine de Chevalier, particularly in the more classic vintages. Their 1989 and 1990 had some subtleties that I really appreciated.

1983 Ausone

1997 Margaux

Anything from the Margaux AOC.

Brane-Cantenac if you’re an upper-middle-class professional, Palmer if you’re safely a millionaire, and Chateau Margaux itself if you’re a billionaire.

But if you’re a peasant like the rest of us, then I suppose you trudge on down the path to Entre-Deux-Meres, and see what’s being poured.

Beychevelle.

The 1959 is far and away the best Burgundy ever made in Bordeaux. I have heard the 1929 was also a Burgundy look alike

1989 La Conseillante

I’ve never had the ‘29 Beychevelle; but I’ve had their ‘28. I don’t recall thinking of the latter as Burgundy-esque; but it was quite impressive indeed.

My notes from July 2012:

…Keiichi’s 1928 Beychevelle (in incredibly good shape for nearing 84 years old). Bottle-sweetened cassis, black currant, red cherry and raspberry essence, demure licorice, wet tea leaves, underlying old loam, hint of worn leather, violets, cedar. Silken. Harmonious. I had it by itself.
0992E0B1-B3A2-4F26-B78D-BA569580526F.jpeg

I don’t have experience but your question made me think of this estate, Chateau Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre

Here’s a write up from chambers:

I have no experience but have read from a couple places it is one of the most classic Bordeaux out there. A wine I’ve been wanting to try for sure, maybe someone who has can chime in if it might fit.

I’ve had it a few times (cannot recall the vintages offhand). Pleasant, charming, a bit on the casual side. Not bad at all at its price; but nothing really special.

That’s funny… I used to know this old fellow who stated something like,’…it’s an aged Bordeaux’s goal to become Burgundy like…’ I’m not sure I follow that tenet, but I have more than once said that an old Bordeaux had some Burgundy like qualities. I can maybe see a few old Barolo having something “in common” with aged Burgundy from a textural/weight aspect, maybe.

Here is my note on a 1953 Ausone:
Drank with the 1950. Where the 1950 was a little more classic in its perceptions, this wine was was loaded with more exotic, compelling qualities. It was light in color with some almost burgundy-like pink hues. It was airy and billowy -for 50+ year Bordeaux- with exotic spice and candy aromas. Spice-box, spice cake, perceptually bright red fruit, cardamom. Followed by lovely autumnal and earth perceptions.

Here is my note on 1964 Latour:
I brought this to Lung King Heen and it was handled very nicely by sommelier Bobby Wong. Wow, this is impressively young and in a perfect place right now. The clean and slightly bitter nose is fresh and earthy, with deep dark red fruits, earth, and just a hint of cedar. It smells like a great Bordeaux with some age. Goodness what a mouth feel. It is fresh and slightly tart in an almost Burgundian way. This savory beauty, like so many great old wines, just has a presence that is uncanny, and it seem a waste to throw out a few descriptors when hundreds won’t do the job.

And finally a 1964 Giacamo Conterno Barolo:
Beautiful hazy pale red color, with a healthy clear meniscus. The wine has a very strong fertilizer smell which transforms into bunches of light, red fruits like strawberries, cherries, red currants, and watermelon. There were also some flower petal, and a nice Burgundy-like tart iron cherry hints as well… but its all Barolo. In the mouth the incredible long finish envelops the mouth with cherry, sweet red cherry, brushed by a slight mineral floral component that sends the wine soaring. Excellent wine!

Well isn’t that what a Bordeaux for Burgundy fans might taste like? [berserker.gif]
But seriously thanks for the data point.

Cabernet and Merlot are different by nature from Pinot Noir. A young Bordeaux from a great vintage will never be like a Pinot but when the wines get old they can become lighter and more sublime so they may take on some Burgundy characteristics but will still not taste like Pinot.

Domaine de Galouchey’s Vin de Jardin fits this bill http://vindejardin.com/#/description

I can only think of La Louviere that would truly appeal to a BurgHead.

Palmer

I’d say this is mostly a Right Bank phenomenon. La Conseillante is/was consistently the most Burgundian Bordeaux I’ve tried. But I haven’t tried any post-1998, so who knows now?

Some older vintages of Figeac also can have a Burgundian vibe and Magdelaine can evoke the more earthy, structured side of Pinot.

Lighter, fully mature vintages of Cantemerle and Lagune are my nods on the Left Bank. Some people says Pichon Lalande can get Burgundian but I’ve not really experienced that. How about Branaire Ducru?

But I agree with Howard that several parts of Italy and old school Rioja are a much better bet to pull this off.