TNs: Las Madres Winemakers Luncheon v20.19

As sure as Spring begins on March 20th a month later winemakers are meeting at Las Madres Vineyard, the home of John Painter and his Wife Jean Gadiot, for the annual Winemakers Luncheon. I was fortunate enough to receive another invitation and didn’t blink an eye. It’s been quite a rainy season this year and rain was falling on Monday before the event, Tuesday was cool a windy and lo and behold Mother Nature was out in full spleandor on Wednesday with sunny skies, temps in the mid-70s and a light breeze.

Las Madres strutted its stuff once again. Such an idyllic setting.

The vineyard is planted to two blocks named after Johns Grandmothers, Esther (Syrah clone 174) and Hulda (Syrah clone 300) with a smattering of Viognier.

Esther is planted on a hill. The vines are just breaking bud.

Hulda is planted on a gentle slope

The afternoon began with with everyone saying their hellos and chatting over an exceptional Rosé of Syrah from
Belharra.

2018 Belharra Rosé of Syrah Sonoma County, Carneros
2hrs after the 2018 early pick this fruit was being pressed at 20.7 brix. The resulting wine is light pale pink wth watermelon and citrus florals. Wonderfully tart berries glide over the tongue, a burst of sappy watermelon on the midpalate and lip smacking acidity to finish it off. This is a terrific Rosé with an edgy quality that makes it such an easy drink. Anne’s best Rosé to date. Loved it.

We then adjourned to the dining area for a barrel sample tasting of the 2018 Syrahs from all the winemakers/assts in attendance. John started us off with a review of the vintage from a farming aspect, 20th leaf - 17th vintage. As far as he was concerned every vintage can be a 2018. Plenty of rain no major prolonged heat spikes and a great crop picked October 11th.

Note: These were all barrel samples, most of which just finished malo and have some barrel time ahead of them.

The first wine tasted came from a new project by Camille Gaio, Anne Fogarty’s partner in crime and Belharra, called Purlieu - Black pepper and black fruited nose, blackberry, iron, bracing acidity, firm tannins.
This wine was destemmed, fermented in an open top and had a bit of extended maceration. Yum.

Next was Eric Kent - 75% whole cluster and 3% Viognier coferment.
Very floral, tart dark red fruit, tannic wall on the midpalate, lift of acid and a slightly bitter finish. This had a carbonic stemmy note to it as well.

Kyle from Coterie did a blend of 2/3 Esther 1/3 Hulda with 4% Viognier - Blackberry and white pepper abound, silky midpalate, tart red berries, not really complex at this stage, very easy drinking.

Ben Brenner presented the wines from Matt Nagy. The first was referred to as Carboy and was a private client wine. 30% whole cluster cofermented with Viognier in a closed tank, pumped over and barreled to new French oak. My notes said this had my favorite nose yet of the wines tasted, lots of Blackberry fruit up front, the palate was dominated by oak and was very tannic. Tasted like a Syrah made in a Cab Sauv approach. Different from everything else on the day.

Bouchaine was cofermented with Voignier in an open top, 1/3 whole cluster, 23% new French oak. The nose was surprisingly clipped despite the Viognier, time will tell. Tasty red and black fruit, lighter bodied.

Ben showed Benevolent Neglect which was. 50-50 blend of the two Vineyard blocks and 50% whole cluster. There’s that black olive tapenade that is the vineyard signature! Fruity ripe palate, nice tannin integration. Matt’s wines are always standouts for me.

Benevolent Neglect 100% Whole Cluster was picked 2-1/2 weeks before the rest of the vineyard at 23 brix. This is experimental and they’re not yet sure if it will be bottled as a standalone wine. Juicy explosive dark red fruit, bright, edgy, nice balance of acidity and tannin. I could guzzle this stuff, am a big fan. If they do release I’m in.

Lastly was Anne Fogarty’s Belharra, Esther and Hulda in separate ferments then blended and barreled down to 20% new French oak. Black pepper, blackberry, black olive, seamless from front to back. Great balance and expression of site. Bravo.

After the tasting and clearing the tables of wine glsses we enjoyed cheese, fruit, crackers and back vintages of Syrahs from various Las Madres producers while lunch was being prepared. A powertasting of sorts while we chatted some more, taste, spit, repeat. No formal notes.

This is really developing nicely

First vintage from the vineyard. John said there are only two bottles of this left and that’s probably a good thing. Showing the longevity of the vineyard but the fruit has all but faded away leaving some tart red berry in the background. Fading into the sunset. Considering it was made in a barn by a farmer and a vineyard manager it’s long life is encouraging for all the other wines to come afterwards. Will probably see it at the next two luncheons.

This one is showing its age as well but holding onto more structure with the fruit still showing dark.

2011 was the worst vintage for Las Madres, too cool to properly ripen. Mike Smith can get flavor out of a rock. This wine was fabulous. In his absence at the luncheon the wine represented.

Real nice, great fruit.

Good balance, solid showing.

The food did not suck either! I iked it so much I recreated the dish for dinner a couple nights later. But that’s a story for another forum.

Once again an outstanding afternoon with great people, great food, great wine and the promise of another stellar round of wines from this world class vineyard for the 2018 releases. Many thanks to everyone involved especially John and Jean for opening their home to the extended Las Madres family and allowing this Berserker to tag along. Much love!

Looks like Armando Ceja is still looking after the vineyard. My memory is failing me, I know the guy he is sitting across, but just can’t recall his name.

No black olive/tapenade note in any of the wines? Used to be the single most defining signature of the vineyard’s fruit making it so easy to id in blind tastings, it made the wines unique. Las Madres Syrah used to be a sizeable portion of the original Orin Swift The Prisoner blend, back in the day, at least in the first few vintages before Phinney changed the composition some and went for more Zin instead (IIRC).

Thanks for the notes!

Yes, Brian,
Thanks for the extensive presentation and pics; a really fun read.
( Btw, tapenade is mentioned under his Benevolent write-up.)

1 Like

Brian,
Was Jean’s son Seth there?
Just curious where he is these days.
Tom

Does anyone know what the cover crop they planted is?

He’s a longtime customer of one of the Winemakers , I think Kyle from Coterie. I spoke with him for a bit, don’t recall his name

No black olive/tapenade note in any of the wines? Used to be the single most defining signature of the vineyard’s fruit making it so easy to id in blind tastings, it made the wines unique.

Its absence in most of the wines (short of Belharra and Benevolent Neglect) was baffling. Could just be a timing thing with the samples as they won’t be finished wines per se for another 6 months or more. Then again it could have been my palate on this day. Who knows for sure.

Las Madres Syrah used to be a sizeable portion of the original Orin Swift The Prisoner blend, back in the day, at least in the first few vintages before Phinney changed the composition some and went for more Zin instead (IIRC).

Orin Swift was represented in the 1st Luncheon I attended in 2011 but hasn’t been since. Was different this year, missed Mike and Leah Smith, Robin Akhurst and Mark Finver

Yes Tom, Seth was there with his Wife and young Son (Sydney?) whose Birthday was celebrated along with the wines as you can see from the blurry photo. When are you coming back?
FEF80416-DEC6-41EE-8546-648D07F03F41.jpeg

That’s bell beans I believe.

He’s a longtime customer of one of the Winemakers , I think Kyle from Coterie. I spoke with him for a bit, don’t recall his name

David Sanchez.

-Al

Brian, you’re right. Also called Fava bean. I have a photo on my wine room wall I took at Rhys a number of years ago, and there is loads of it down their rows.

I love the shots you took, and the rows bring up a question? What’s the environmental approach of the Las Madres plot? With all the cover crop down the rows, it raises the question.

Glad to see Belharra in your report, too. You saw their wines here at Falltacular a few months ago and I am glad they are pressing on with their wine project.

Thanks for the photos and the report, pal.

Brian,
I’ve never been invited to John&Jean’s shindig. Or maybe I attended the first one. But it would only be a matter of asking & I’m sure an
invite would be forthcoming.
I’m a big fan of the Syrahs that come from LasMadres.
Thanks for the update on Seth.
Tom

Al, thanks for the name, I just spaced out after not seeing him for a long while.

Brian,

Did you inquire with any of the winemakers about the absence of the black olive / tapenade notes? And they usually do the lunch about the same time each year so you’d be talking ‘apples to apples’ year to year with just vintage differences, right? And there did not seem to be as many wines / notes as in previous years - or am I incorrect?

Cheers

Somewhat odd, though looking at the notes seems oak treatment may be the cause (and could be a number of different wine making choices as well). Back in the day I do not recall any of us using more than 30% new, and less at times. With up to 30% whole cluster, for some.

The way I understand it is their cover crop, when tilled in, helps retain moisture in the soil which is important as they practice deficit irrigation to work the vines.

Couple things and a dumb question.
The 2016 Benevolent Neglect Syrah is on Wine Access.com for 45.00 free ship on 6 *no affiliation
The 2016 Whole Cluster is available on the BN website for 50.00
Dumb question; “Benevolent Neglect 100% Whole Cluster was picked 2-1/2 weeks before the rest of the vineyard at 23 brix. This is experimental and they’re not yet sure if it will be bottled as a standalone wine. Juicy explosive dark red fruit, bright, edgy, nice balance of acidity and tannin. I could guzzle this stuff, am a big fan. If they do release I’m in.”-if they were going to do a whole cluster experiment why would you pick early? Wouldn’t the stems be even less ripe/lignified?