TN: Ojai 2014 'John SebastianoVineyard' Santa Barbara County Syrah

Among many reasons I will have to kick myself in the future will be that I do not have more Ojai Syrah in my cellar. I love what Adam Tolmach does with this grape.

I’m also liking this vineyard a lot. I’ve really enjoyed multiple examples of Pinot Noir from Siduri and Adam Lee, but this is the first Sebastiano Syrah I have tried. It’s a vineyard designate I would reach for again.

Complex nose of blackcurrants, cassis, smoke and grilled meat. Restrained more than exuberant.

Tannins are very well-integrated. Medium-bodied (13.5% ABV), with subtle flavors of spice and smoked meat that give way to tangy fruit notes on the midpalate and finish. Very food-friendly - did well with a spicy chicken breast and fresh morels.

Nevermind - I just saw that it was Syrah that you were posting about…

Jim - I am a big fan (just turned on in the last couple of years) of what Foxen does with the John Sebastiano fruit. Your note is spot on. I love the savory side of that vineyard. Regarding Ojai, I have not sampled very many Pinots, but I have always enjoyed the Syrahs - I will have to try more Pinot! Cheers!

1 Like

Haven’t had that particular Foxen bottling, but I’m a fan of the label, so I will have to remedy!