Can you saber sparkling juice with a bottle cap?

We’ve got a potential celebration with the kids coming up tonight and I would love it if they could saber a bottle of sparkling juice, though I’ve never tried one with a bottle cap. Has anyone tried this or know if it works?

I’d like the kids to do the sabering, so if I can’t do the juice, I’ll have them saber the Champagne and just hand it over for our consumption

Just spitballing, I would think you need a little chin along the glass neck for the saber to hit, which may not exist in screwcapped bottles.

Right under the cap is a little chin…on all bottles with caps, no? Certainly the collar is not as large as on a standard Champagne bottle, but there’s a bump nonetheless

you could try to aim for just the cap/cork. :stuck_out_tongue:

There is not enough pressure under bottle.

but try it out and report back to us lol.

Yes, it works. Make sure the bottle neck is good and cold. Is this a 750mL bottle? That helps keep hand away from action, but also requires bigger grip to get a good hold. I am not providing any advice on safety here :slight_smile:.

Cheers,
fred

While pretty safe if the bottle is properly prepped and the person with the saber knows what they are doing, I wouldn’t let a bunch of kids saber sparkling juice.

If you do decide to have them do it, make sure you put a fair amount of salt in the ice bucket.

And make sure whatever personal liability coverage you have is paid up. champagne.gif

By ‘kids’ I mean teenagers, so not exactly littles. I plan to damn near freeze the neck to make it brittle, and said teenager is a friend of my son’s and his dad is a plastic surgeon, so maybe if things go bad, I know a guy?

stitches. lots and lots of stitches.

Step back a minute. These are teenagers correct? And you want them to take a potentially sharp blade, crack the neck of a glass bottle with the blade and launch a piece of broken glass in the air, under pressure, in a general direction that will not injure anyone…

Really a good idea? Don’t teenagers have enough risky behavior without you teaching them a new interesting trick to try with the next bottle of Bud Light that comes their way?
What’s the next celebratory activity, how to safely start a chainsaw and make ice sculptures?
[popcorn.gif]

Plastic surgeon on hand is a great idea. neener

No sharp blade - sabers aren’t supposed to be sharp - mine is fully blunt end

I don’t want to get personal, but have you ever raised a teenage boy?

Since I refer to having a teenage son in this post, yes.

Why is it riskier for a teenager to saber a bottle of champagne than any of you old farts?

Anyways, if you wanted to minimize risk, you could just have them wear gardening gloves or something of the sort and some eye protection.

Ringo, I’m just trying to be the good sheperd here.
I am just saying that if there is concern aobut safety, maybe re-consider the whole concept.
However if this is something you are intent on doing, have at it and have fun!
After all Napoleon let his calvary saber the bottles of Champagne right before going into battle. The danger I guess is all relative…

Have “accidentally” sabered a bottle clean off with a butter knife.

Out of curiosity have the “kids” expressed that they want to do this?

The dangerous part of sabering is that the glass can shoot backwards hitting the face/body of the person sabering?

Good lord. Todd, coat your kids in bubble wrap, then show them a video of someone else doing it. They’re teenagers, after all. This is clearly too dangerous. Also, make sure when they go to college you can take FMLA so you can take off, sleep in their dorm and attend classes and events with them for the first three months to ensure they don’t do anything dangerous or get into trouble. Also, make sure they still use a car seat and don’t sit in the front passenger seat. And also ensure that they never, under any circumstance, use tools like a saw, chisel, hammer, or anything else with a blunt, toothed, or bladed side. Also be there the first time they have sex to make sure they use protection. Also, be really careful about teaching them how to cook. There is fire and very sharp knives, and cutting root vegetables and chopping onions could lead to cut fingers. Don’t forget to get them electric razors instead of a Gilette. Those have real razor blades and they will undoubtedly cut themselves if they use real blades! HOLY SHIT ARE YOU CRAZY!