Is there ever a stay of execution?

We had a family guest last weekend so I pulled a few bottles, one didn’t get opened (09 Ridge Geyser) it sat on the counter for a few days after they left then I opened it…it never occurred to me to put it back in the cellar for some reason. Does anybody actually do that, put it back ‘in inventory’?
*I’m going to exclude a first growth you pull to take to an offline as a backup that doesn’t get opened type situation.

Sure, all the time. Sometimes you pull too many or the wrong bottle and it has to go back. Not a problem.

Hmmmm…what be this thing you call an “inventory”??? [snort.gif]
Tom

I do it all the time. Usually it’s a white that has been in the fridge a few days. It doesn’t get opened, so back it goes.

Cellar adjacent to kitchen, so no need to pull things until the moment of opening. I do sometimes put something “on deck” and then put it back into the rack after it sits there for a period of time without inspiration to open. My inventory locations are not precise unless in boxes for longer-term storage, so there’s no problem with the inventory system needing updates until consumption.

Cheers,
fred

Most definitely. Vacationed in South Jersey, Virginia and South Carolina. Took 24 bottles and returned with 6 unconsumed. Put right back in the cellar.

So sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your vacation. :slight_smile:

Almost always put them back in the cellar.

Yes, certainly. We don’t serve very many wines at cellar temp, so take some out to come up/down to temp every few days if not more often. If something doesn’t get consumed, especially red, it goes back in the cellar. Whites/champagne often gets left in the fridge since that’s relatively safe for a week or more and we drink more of those, but we’re constantly putting reds back as well as whites that aren’t daily drinker types. Of course, we often deliberately pull more wines than we’ll need, both for back-up and for the fun of choice. The one who didn’t pull the bottles gets to choose what we open first.

For sure. I have an area with wine stood up for (in theory) near-tie consumption where some things in practice might hang out for a while and even go back into real storage if I have a change of heart. Even though I have the core regions and styles I love, I’ll go on random kicks where I’ll move things in and out.

Yes, we offer stays of execution.

Sometimes, we leave the victim half dead, too.

Never. When it makes it upstairs it is consumed in the near term. Near term being 1-2 weeks.

So, only a 3 day trip then. [snort.gif]

4 1/2 days. It was the 1/2 day that threw everything off.

Mods, please move to the Asylum.

newhere

I stage about 40 bottles in my garage for near term drinking. If I start seeing a lot of CT notes saying that the wine ins entering a dumb phase or needs more cellar time I will return them.

Sure - very common practice to bring some bottles upstairs, don´t open all, and put them back into cellar.

Ditto. Some nights, life doesn’t lead us to every bottle we had ready.

Yes, oftentimes I bring up several special bottles for a special occasion, and if we don’t drink them all, then I take the survivors back down and bring up a daily drinker for consumption during the week. Seems to make sense to me.