Why are you into wine ?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine

Which phrase best describes your wine habits

Im a drunk at heart and i like to educate myself on nice wine so i can enjoy getting drunk
15%
I collect wine because i enjoy the social aspects of wine collecting and interacting with other wine collectors
17%
I collect wine to build up a good cellar to show everyone how rich I am and i have a big d***
9%
I collect wine so i can buy and age wines to get great mature wines at reasonable prices
21%
Some other reason
38%

Total votes: 126

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

Why are you into wine ?

#1 Post by Alan Eden » April 25th, 2019, 8:04 am

Curious on peoples motivation
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Why are you into wine ?

#2 Post by K John Joseph » April 25th, 2019, 9:03 am

These choices are dog shit. I didn't see "I collect wine because I really enjoy it and no other beverage I've ever consumed has the range and complexity of flavors or scope of offerings, and I like to have any number of those choices available so I can cater to my own tastes at any given time." I mean, (i) I'm a drunk; (ii) I like socializing; (iii) flash my money and measure my cock; or (iv) it's cheaper this way.

Come on, man. The choices in this poll are almost as bad as drinking wine in France.
J0hn-J-K4ne

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » April 25th, 2019, 9:32 am

Brett Favre
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Gabe Berk

#4 Post by Gabe Berk » April 25th, 2019, 9:42 am

Taste.
Last edited by Gabe Berk on April 26th, 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by ky1em!ttskus » April 25th, 2019, 9:48 am

I’m in it for the chicks!

This is the right place, yeah? newhere

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Alan Eden » April 25th, 2019, 9:50 am

K John Joseph wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 9:03 am
These choices are dog shit. I didn't see "I collect wine because I really enjoy it and no other beverage I've ever consumed has the range and complexity of flavors or scope of offerings, and I like to have any number of those choices available so I can cater to my own tastes at any given time." I mean, (i) I'm a drunk; (ii) I like socializing; (iii) flash my money and measure my cock; or (iv) it's cheaper this way.

Come on, man. The choices in this poll are almost as bad as drinking wine in France.
So stop bitching and create your own poll, so we can bitch about that poll !!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by K John Joseph » April 25th, 2019, 11:03 am

Alan Eden wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 9:50 am
K John Joseph wrote:

So stop bitching and create your own poll, so we can bitch about that poll !!
But this is so much easier!!!
J0hn-J-K4ne

Markus S

#8 Post by Markus S » April 25th, 2019, 11:22 am

Because it's available widely at Binnys. champagne.gif [snort.gif]
$ _ € ® e . k @

cepotts

#9 Post by cepotts » April 25th, 2019, 12:31 pm

It enhances life.
Craig Potts

Paul Marshall

#10 Post by Paul Marshall » April 25th, 2019, 9:15 pm

It’s a great topic, but we don’t need a poll. For me it’s just as much (maybe more) about the experience than the juice. Drinking the wine with the winemaker, proprietors creates a level of nostalgia evoking good memories when you open it at home in the future.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by JDavisRoby » April 25th, 2019, 9:22 pm

All the above?
Joshu@

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Cris Whetstone » April 25th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Because it gives me more reasons to trash the French?
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Scott G r u n e r

#13 Post by Scott G r u n e r » April 25th, 2019, 10:26 pm

//Cynic

mike pobega

#14 Post by mike pobega » April 26th, 2019, 2:51 am

I suppose I got really into wine originally through my ex-wife. She had (half!) a big, kind of show-off cellar. But then I found out that I have a really sharp palate, and the more I drank, the more I liked what it made me think about.
I do like to think about the life of wine, how it’s a living thing. I like to think about what was going on the year the grapes were growing, how the sun was shining that summer or if it rained… what the weather was like. I think about all those people who tended and picked the grapes, and if it’s an old wine, how many of them must be dead by now. I love how wine continues to evolve, how every time I open a bottle it’s going to taste different than if I had opened it on any other day. Because a bottle of wine is actually alive — it’s constantly evolving and gaining complexity. That is, until it peaks — like your ’61 — and begins its steady, inevitable decline. And it tastes so f$cking good.

:)

michael ottesen

#15 Post by michael ottesen » April 26th, 2019, 5:04 am

]Last part of the tekst is from Sideways. Love that movie [cheers.gif]

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by David Glasser » April 26th, 2019, 5:17 am

I’m not into wine.
Wine is into me.
Temporarily, as Victor is sure to remind us.

Mostly because I love the way it tastes and smells.
A good deal because I like aging it myself. Not just for cost, but for provenance.
A good deal because of the social aspects and friends I’ve made through wine.
Partly because finding and collecting is fun.

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by CJ Beazley » April 26th, 2019, 5:41 am

K John Joseph wrote:

Only a guy who wears a size 14 shoe and packs the kind of heat you do can get away with (iii) [oops.gif]
It's C(raig)

David Cooper

#18 Post by David Cooper » April 26th, 2019, 8:05 am

Never one to miss an opportunity to talk about my big dick.

ybarselah

#19 Post by ybarselah » April 26th, 2019, 8:06 am

the free helicopter rides.
Yaacov (ITB)

EHeffner

#20 Post by EHeffner » April 26th, 2019, 9:34 am

I drink beer, tequila, bourbon, whiskey, sake, wine, etc. I know a ton about beer, bourbon, tequila. I know nothing about wine, which is why I hang here
E v a n

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Anton D » April 26th, 2019, 9:50 am

K John Joseph wrote:

Alan! You hooked one!

I’ve seen people fishing from the top of bridges, but Alan just did it from below one!

[rofl.gif]
Anton Dotson

LMD Ermitaño

#22 Post by LMD Ermitaño » April 26th, 2019, 10:16 am

Grew up with it. It’s something I drink with meals.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

G. Keeler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by G. Keeler » April 26th, 2019, 10:19 am

I'm into wine mainly due to my interest in food. Wine is a natural complement.
G L E N N

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Jason T » April 26th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Why? I don’t actually know. It just happened. I didn’t like wine. I didn’t know anything about it. Then I started dating a woman who knew a bunch about it and worked in the industry a bit.

So I was around wine more but I still didn’t know anything about it, or even try to know anything about t, or even try to like it a bit more, even though she was into it. And then one day it happened. I fell down the rabbit hole. That was 2012, and since then I have been totally obsessed.

Obsessed with a desire to learn and to understand. With a desire to continue expanding my horizons. Why? I’ve never really stopped to think about why. I don’t question it. I don’t need to question it. It just is.
J@son Tr@ughber

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Thomas Keim » April 26th, 2019, 1:45 pm

To meet girls...
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

jgreco
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by jgreco » April 26th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Wine is one of those hobbies you can spend infinite time and money on and just scratch the surface. You are always learning.
Cheers, Jim

B Thorne
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by B Thorne » April 26th, 2019, 7:12 pm

A good reason for drinking alcohol has to be the backbone of every single wine drinker / enthusiasts motivation. Has to be.
B r i a n

Ian S

#28 Post by Ian S » April 26th, 2019, 7:17 pm

u-g-F5D9UB0.jpg
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Anton D » April 27th, 2019, 12:17 am

Ian S wrote:
April 26th, 2019, 7:17 pm
u-g-F5D9UB0.jpg
I love that! I think of John Ammons whenever I see that!

I got into wine because, suddenly, I wasn’t Day Drinking any more, I was Wine Tasting!!!

That, and I want to be like Mike...Mike Pobega!
Anton Dotson

Philip N. Jones

#30 Post by Philip N. Jones » April 27th, 2019, 3:21 am

I got into wine because my wife told me that the crap I was serving our friends was crap and she said our friends could tell the difference. So I started reading up on wine and subscribing to that guy that nobody seems to like anymore. Soon, I was hooked and my basement started filling up. Now, my tastes are relatively narrow (mainly Zin) and I have about 600 bottles and my wife is having second thoughts and did I mention that I really like Zin?
By the way, I am in Italy right now and I am thinking of changing my careeer path to Primitivo . . . .

dsGriswold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by dsGriswold » April 27th, 2019, 11:05 am

I get a lot of attention and people are nice to me. My wife complains about how much wine I have, so I just buy for her now. Well I do toss in a few for me on occasion. I love talking about wine and Know a few ITB. My daughter always appreciates that I can spare a few good bottles. [cheers.gif]
DennisG

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Anton D » April 27th, 2019, 11:20 am

Philip N. Jones wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 3:21 am
I got into wine because my wife told me that the crap I was serving our friends was crap and she said our friends could tell the difference. So I started reading up on wine and subscribing to that guy that nobody seems to like anymore. Soon, I was hooked and my basement started filling up. Now, my tastes are relatively narrow (mainly Zin) and I have about 600 bottles and my wife is having second thoughts and did I mention that I really like Zin?
By the way, I am in Italy right now and I am thinking of changing my careeer path to Primitivo . . . .
Cool path!
Anton Dotson

lleichtman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by lleichtman » April 27th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Philip N. Jones wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 3:21 am
All of our friends are wine geeks and know when we are serving crappy wines.
Lawrence G. Leichtman

Richard Albert

#34 Post by Richard Albert » April 27th, 2019, 6:44 pm

I have been in the biz since '66. Wanting a job to help pay for college I started Thanksgiving break my freshman year at a one of the largest wine and liquor stores in New York.
I had been sipping French and German wines for 6 six years prior whenever my father allowed. Living in Germany as a high school exchange student gave me a European perspective. As a result, wine was considered part of a meal and I never got into the silliness of high school amateur over consumption.

I was super fortunate to have been in the right place at exactly the right time in 1982 to have the opportunity to learn about the rarest and finest French wines by drinking them as OJT at a new shop which grew to be one of the best in the US with a multi million dollar inventory of the best of the best. A dream job developed telemarketing the best of Burgundy, Bordeaux from the best vintages from the 1920's and up after having consumed enough of them to be confident to represent them to an global elite clientele familiar with them, or not.

The diverse aromas, textures and complexities of wine are still a fascination and like any other complex subject, the more you learn, the less you realize you know.
My mission is not over, but I am still unable to beat the experience a mature, fine vintage Grand Cru Burg can provide.
ITB

JordanL

#35 Post by JordanL » April 27th, 2019, 8:13 pm

Some combination of all of the above. I realize it's the alcohol that I genuinely enjoy drinking the most, I think it's the most interesting to pair with food, and a huge reason is because of the popularity of wine in the NBA... LeBron and Popovich are big wine people and that kind of pushed me into it.
jordan lee

Yao C

#36 Post by Yao C » April 27th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Mainly because when I get lost in the smell of a wine it is like stepping outside of time

But also because there's no better way to pass the time than dinner with friends and a few good bottles
C h 0 o n 6

Return to “Wine Talk”