TNs over time - 2016 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas - amazing stuff, crazy QPR

• 2016 Halcon Vineyards Syrah Alturas - USA, California, North Coast, Yorkville Highlands (4/24/2019)
    I was torn on opening this. On one hand, I have a strong feeling that it will age beautifully, but on the other hand, the '13 showed SO well in a France/CA blind tasting (hosted by Frank Murray in 2017, notes here - TN: Syrah Blind Taste-off: 2012 Rhone vs. 2013 California with photos - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers) that I really wanted to peek at one of the four bottles. The deciding factor was that I knew that by opening it later in the evening I wouldn’t finish it, and that would give me half a bottle for tomorrow, after some extended exposure to air, and I know this wine can handle it, plus I look forward to seeing what it is like tomorrow!

Upon opening it shows very dark, and (primarily black) olive tapenade screams from the nose. A bit of a swirl brings out some bramble and a good dose of deli meats. On the palate it’s a big one, still young and lively on the mouthfeel, snappy dark fruits, good density, pure and fresh.

Two hours later, much of the plushness is gone, and the wine takes on a more angular, more rustic character - equally enjoyable, but strikingly different. Fruit profile is still dark as night, and the nose has gained gobs of flowers, principally violets. There’s still a great freshness and cleanliness to this wine, yet the mouthfeel remains rich and deep - it’s no crisp and refreshing wine, nor should it be.

Tomorrow I will write another note to finish it off, updating the TN here on CT and posting the additions on this thread. It’s rare to enjoy a wine during all its stages of development in the glass - rarer still when it is a $30 wine. Amazing. I do love Syrah, and love how Halcon Alturas continuously brings out the qualities I love from California AND Northern Rhone.

Sounds delish! Thanks for posting.

Amazing tasting note!! Thanks for the sneak peek!

Nice note Todd. I find these Alturas, especially young, are much more expressive day 2 & 3 of being open. I opened a vertical of the 2009-2016 about a year ago - all showed well. Paul & Jackie are really dialing in their style, understanding of the site - things are headed in a great direction. Here are my notes:

Halcon alturas vertical
May 29th 2018
Bottles open 72 hours prior

2016- shy nose. Some olive and ash. It’s all stones and olives on the palate, it’s fresh and stemmy and peppery. Still tight.

2015- shy nose as well, with some blueberry/berry pie poking through. The palate is dominated by a firm backbone. Lots of pepper. Light berry flavors with wet stone and some spices. Very interesting.

2014- another shy nose with some berry notes and more creaminess. Much fuller and more expressive mouthfeel - tons of red fruits, pepper, green olive, spice. This is delicious stuff right now.

2013- very bright, exotic nose shows candied red fruits, crushed dark berries and a very savory finish. It’s a lively, fresh wine as that is spicy and green and firm but you keep going back for more. For the exotic and savory crowd!

2012- seemingly darker nose that finishes with some citrus. darker fruits and stones on the palate with a dry tannic finish. Feels young still.

2011- brighter cherry and red fruit nose. Lots of red fruit and cranberry on the palate - with a spicy and dusty finish.

2010- fruity nose that’s all over the place- kind of like ‘13. Medium to full body and it’s delicious. Tons of minerals to balance the fruits and acidity. This is awesome and I want to keep drinking.

2009- spicy, darker more brooding if not riper nose. Round on the palate starting to pick up more tar notes- the tannins are more resolved. Still drinking well!!

A screaming value :wink:

Interesting that Todd and Joe found the wine to be big, dark, and meaty, whereas I found it to be medium-bodied and one of the most floral wines I’ve ever had, almost delicate for a syrah and very interesting.

My floral notes came through strongly after the 2 hour mark - was full of violets.

As for ‘medium-bodied’ I guess it depends what you are comparing to, if a Napa or Paso Syrah, then absolutely. If Northern Rhone, I found it a bit on the darker and richer side than that style.

Regardless, it’s a wine that blows my mind for what you get at the $30 pricepoint. It’s amazing. Looking forward to tonight

Great notes. It’s unfortunate that Syrah is a relatively hard sell (unless you have been anointed with 100 points), because the Halcon Syrahs are seriously good, and seriously underpriced for what goes into the bottle.

I need to save this post, as my TNs suck - will take the compliment and refer to this post as proof.

Ha!

What is the alcohol % on these?

The 2016 “Alturas” Syrah was 13.5%. The 2015 was also 13.5% and the 2014 was 13.3%, so pretty consistent.

Your TNs don’t suck. Whoever gave you that feedback or impression is not worth listening to.

But what if it was Todd, himself? Do we then not listen to him?!? [pillow-fight.gif]

We believe the dumb crap people tell US. Someone gave our noble leader some feedback somewhere about his TNs. That person is wrong.

Todd’s notes are honest, expressive and lack pretension. I think they are him. That’s how a note should be.

The 2014 has 13.3% on the label but is actually closer to 13% due to some last minute blending choices.
The 2017 is 12.7%
2018 version will likely be around 13.5%.

Paul

Thanks for the great review Todd! Interested to see how it shows today.

Paul

Well, my re-tasting was soured by the crappy draft picks the Packers made, but I’m going to try and still be honest and lacking in pretension…unlike the Packers pick at number 12, but I digress…

Florals still show on the nose, but it’s more meaty - deli meats similar to what showed right upon opening. A smokier, darker profile on the nose - very Syrah-like, but doesn’t stand out to me all that much as extraordinary like yesterday’s notes. The freshness of the flavor profile, and it’s expressiveness really make me think these will sing in 5-10 more years, and last much longer. Dominated by dark fruit, much of the zippy fruit fun has turned more traditional in nature - more peppery, mineral-driven. Grips so well though, and finishes LONG.

I’m still amazed that this is a $30 Syrah, but if Paul decides to change the price I’m gonna be pissed I might have been part of it.

Been trying to keep my hands off my bottles so thanks for the sucky notes. I’ve liked my Falltacular check-ins every time.

Very underrated wines. The Wilde Farms Syrah from Halcon Vineyard they sold for a song on Berserkerday is damn good as well. Clearly a good site for Syrah and those with a gentle touch on the winemaking side.

How did you treat the bottle overnight, vacuseal etc?