TN: 2011 Cappellano Barbera d'Alba Gabutti (Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d'Alba)

2011 Cappellano Barbera d’Alba Gabutti - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d’Alba (4/24/2019)
Almost exactly a year since my last bottle, and this is still so bright and fresh, that it might as well be a new release. It’s pretty high-toned, but never tips into harsh. The ripe, rich red fruit dances around the palate, always lively, always zippy. It’s a joyous wine, putting a smile on an otherwise drab weeknight.

Posted from CellarTracker

You don’t see an aged barbera note every day!

I lucked into a few bottles of the one off AB Normal release from Cappellano. Long cask aging of an 04 Barbera (IIRC) - so long they had to come up with a fantasy name for it as it didn’t fit the rules. Wine is still youthful and delicious. Granted, I have always had a soft spot for the grape, but what Cappellano does with it is special.

Nothing like warm-year barbera! Takes the edge off the acid.

I had several bottles of that when young, it was very nice indeed. My memory recalls the vintage as 2003, but I could be wrong.

My only Gabutti experience is a lone 2013, which I thought was indeed a bit higher acid… I just assumed this would be the case with all of his Barberas? Planning to open the next '13 in a decade.

No it didn’t. I really like this wine, but edgy is actually a good word for it.