Another Napa Thread....

Feel like I’ve been to most wineries worth visiting. But, always hope there is something new and interesting. So, any recommendations? Just a day trip. Need to pick up wine at Pride. Hot weather is supposed to break next week. Taste profile… Napa I buy from Pride, Myriad, Quivet, Carter, Rivers Marie, Realm. Thank you.

From my visit back in February, these were standouts:
-Theorem (new winery on Diamond Mountain, TRB is the winemaker. Stunning property and equally delicious wines.)
-Continuum (expensive, but one of the best visits I’ve ever done)
-Seavey (mainly because they really open up the library for tastings and do great comparisons against their newer vintages)
-Sinegal (Great lineup up and down and a very cool and beautiful property for walking around)
-Progeny (sister property to O’Shaugnessey…same winemaker…atop Mt Veeder. Very secluded. Rich and bold cabs and a really great Rhône style white)

Oh, man, where to begin!

Mending Wall, the Hess museum, the reserve tasting at Mondavi (buy their To Kalon and I Block sauvignon blancs!) Alpha Omega (ERA tasting,) Silver Oak (I know it’s hip to bang on them but they are doing a great job right now.)

If you want to condense things: hit Silverado, Stag’s Leap, Pine Ridge all within a mile or so of each other. You might also like Cuvaison, Forman, and Pahlmeyer on the trail.

If you feel like taking a ride, Cain is awesome.

If there is time to try to make reservations, Peter Michael, Spottswoode, Aubert (!).

Tres Perlas makes killer chard…ask for Harry Oranges, he’s my main man!

Thanks Theorem sounds interesting. I hadn’t heard that one before. I’ve been in the Bay Area for 25 years and head up every few months as it’s only 45 minutes… So, have hit the usual over the years… Mondavi, Shafer, AO, etc… So, looking something new and interesting. Regardless, thank you for the suggestions.

While at pride, head to school house down the block. Intimate tour with some aged Pinot. Clippings from drc

Napa Pinot and DRC. Lol.

It’s not necessarily new, but Blankiet is going to crush it with Graeme MacDonald as their new winemaker. The 2016 vintage (which is already epic) was his from bud-break to bottle. Had the chance to taste there earlier this year and I think they are going to heat up considerably. Their vineyards are truly amazing, and nestled in the foothills west of French Laundry, right behind Dominus.

Go visit there.

Head from Pride over the crest to the backside of the mountain and visit Fisher. Beautiful property, very nice people, and tasty wines.

That’s a great lineup and hits every AVA. Diamond Creek was a fun, yet unique visit. We even got to meet Boots. Great juice too…

Actually, there’s an interesting story here, involving suitcase cuttings of La Tache (I think) which were planted on the valley floor in the 1940s and none other than Andre Tchelistcheff recommended that the vines be moved to a cooler location, which happened in 1951.

I suggest you visit and buy from Cliff Lede. Christopher Tynan is the winemaker and he’s building exceptional wines. His own Tynan wines are exceptional too, if you can get them.

[url]https://cliffledevineyards.com/accolades/?fbclid=IwAR3KIarM-qFH2HLukRsT56kBJ6W9-40Bx0R9x1SxeQk_tom_unW56Qi0D84[/url

Hey Randy - How long has Christopher been winemaker at Cliff Lede? I’ve always found their reds to be decent but never much more than that. I’d be interested in revisiting them to see if/how they’ve improved under his hand.

Andy

Interesting story, yes, but Napa Pinot is Napa Pinot.

Its a good tour with good wine…worth a visit

Head up to the 2nd bonded winery in all of Napa Valley. Family owned and kicks out 100 point wine. 1/3 cost for a tour and taste of its neighbors…None other than Chappellet.

Pine Ridge cave tour is pretty spectacular. Caves are endless there and their Cabernet program has been stellar past 3+ years. Fortis is killer stuff.

Mayacamas Vineyards taste and tour of their iconic property in a pretty rugged area makes you feel like you’re in another world than Napa.

+1 for Seavey. Beautiful spot, friendly staff. Hit up Anderson’s CVV 1/2 mile down the road too.

I would second Mending Wall. I visited for the 3rd time in November and it was just stellar.
Also Barlow was a treat. Pulling up in their home driveway and drinking a LARGE lineup of wines in their kitchen area was a totally opposite experience from any of the tasting rooms.

Based on the wines you buy, I’d definitely recommend:
B Cellars - Just tried their 2016 SV lineup, the Las Piedras and Dr Crane are awesome, maybe best ever.
Odette - Across the street from Realm in Stags Leap. Their reserve wine is next level, super opulent.
Lewis - Their reserve cabernet can compete with any reserve cab in Napa. Same price range as Carter wines.

Really enjoyed visiting Lokoya on my last trip - great experience

I was just at B cellars. Stunning tasting room. Totally lucky and got to drink with the winemaker (Kirk) and one of the 2 owners (Duffy). And their caves are out of a James Bond movie.

I’m a fan of Plumpjack, too. Simple tasting room. Nice outdoor patio.

Regusci makes some excellent wines with great QPR.