2018 cristal to break new grounds

More fresh, 57 plots used & 3% more Chard used. Fans can expect “a unique Cristal”

I had the 2009 last night and it was fantastic. I’ve decided to get my sorry ass over to Costco this weekend and get a handful of the 2008s.

I was in the Irvine Costco last night and didn’t see any. Is it confirmed that yours has it? If so I might swing by… (I haven’t really been following the Costco thread…)

Been hearing a lot of praise about the 2018 vintage as a whole. We’ll see.

Yeah, I broke all kinds of promises after having my first bottle. Seriously delicious wines.

Both are great. The '09 is more approachable and therefore I will drink most of them earlier than my '08’s.

I tasted the 2018 in still wine form a couple weeks ago - it will be truly great and right up there with the best vintages of Cristal with one difference, the production will be up to 50% higher so there will be lots of great wine to go around for all. Nothing wrong with top quality and quantity. Just look at DP which is normally produced at 10x or more of the quantity of Cristal.

As for 2008 and 2009, 2009 is going to drink well today, tomorrow, and far into the future. 2008 is tight and with tremendous potential. It may eventually end up better than 2008, but I would more likely bet on them being equal in 10-20 years than 2008 being better. Buy both, but in my book, the higher quantity purchase is with 2009 for both the Blanc and Rose just plain based on the much wider optimal window for enjoyment.

Good advice, thanks!

I have enjoyed the 09.

I’ve always been a fan of Cristal, but 09 was the first that made me reach for my wallet. 08 made me empty it.

Good timing reading this thread. Just picked up two bottles/boxes of 2008. Excited to open one in 3-5 years. Too lazy to wait for 10 years to buy the 2018’s and another 5 years to open it😆

Truer words were never spoken! Well Imho anyways.

My frustration has been the price. Had to scour all of DFW and harangue sales folk to find 08 Cristal for under $200 after applying a massive sale discount. Shit KL has it for $269 a pop. Krug 166 cost me $163 after tax with a 25% discount and aggressive negotiations on list price v scan price at the store. The fact that 2008 Dom P is the cheapest of all of those is a miracle.

Huge difference in supply.

Since 2018 is said to have much more supply I’m hoping the price will be better. But who knows what prices will be like 10 years later.

No question, and 08 was limited supply at that, according to some sources, further compounding the problem. But the rise in pricing is damn tough and, unlike bordeaux where off vintages get depressed prices, I’ve yet to see champagne correct itself downwards (with the single exception of Krug 164 to 165, which had a minor adjustment down at some shops in town, which was corrected and then some with 166). Every vintage being a great one and all. 08 Cristal is at K&L for $269 a piece! That’s $70 more than the 2009 was going for. A 35% increase in one vintage. Shit I hope the 2008 so aggressively overshadows the 2009 that the 2009s become sale items.

2009 available at bountyhunterwines for 199.99. Discount of $25 with code HAPPYBDAY25
No idea of how solid this retailer is, caveat emptor.

2008 Cristal under $200/btl? $215 is as good as I have seen and that disappeared fast. Generally speaking anything under $250 is ‘good’ in my experience.

Yeah, wine prices in ten years is a scary thought!

I found some 2009 and with some good luck, will have a few bottles this week. Sean, I will check tomorrow or Friday on my lunch hour and let you know about the 2008. PM me your ph # and I will give you a ring.

Don’t see it. Guess sold out.