Drappier Millesime Exception 2006 Magnum

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Stas Medvedev

Drappier Millesime Exception 2006 Magnum

#1 Post by Stas Medvedev » April 23rd, 2019, 12:48 am

Disgorged in February, 2018 after more than 10 years aged on lees.
Liquid gold color. Very complex and rich aromatics of mature champagne with bread, almonds and hints of citrus fruits. Lots of freshness due to recent disgorgement. Creamy soft texture and fuller body. Floral touch of Chardonnay and depth of Pinot Noir.

2006 is the vintage of ripeness for me. I find it at its peak maturity now across many champagnes of this vintage I have tasted recently.
Magnum of course delivers an extra pleasure which is ideal format for aging.

Blend of 65% Pinot Noir, 35% Chardonnay. 50% of the wines are matured in oak barrels for 1 year. Minimal use of sulphur (less than 30 mg/l). Dosage: 5.6 g/l
Drappier use only the juices from first pressing by mechanical low-pressure presses.
Use of gravity to avoid oxidisation. Wines undergo natural full malolactic fermentation. No filtering.

️Drappier’s Champagnes are lightly dosed with liqueur d’expedition — a wine that has been aged in oak casks, then in demijohns, for more than 10 years. This addition allows for a more complex, longer finish.

Champagne Drappier is a family owned house in Urville in the Aube. It was founded in 1808 and known for its Pinot Noir-dominant wines.
Drappier’s cellars were constructed by Cistercian monks from Clairvaux Abbey and are among the oldest in Champagne, dating back to 1152.
P1040933.JPG
Amateur wine enthusiast. Interested in theory and enjoy practice. Daily tasting notes

Follow me on Instagram

ITB - Founder of the wine club for non-professionals (WineTalks.club)

Return to “Wine Talk”