TN: 2017 Rivers-Marie Occidental Pinot Noir

To drink this, and 2009 Cristal tonight…blessed. Two terrific wines. I didn’t see any previous dedicated posts to this wine so let me offer one. Beautiful example of RM PN. I’ve come to the point where I am done buying the Sonoma Coast bottling, as I believe the Ox vineyard, as well as Summa, is all I need for my cellar.

• 2017 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/22/2019)
    Hell, why be the only guy with the TN here…why not have ALL the TNs. !! Opened this about 15 mins ago and right to the glass. Serving temp is in the mid 60s, using a burg stem with no food (yet). This is built lovely, and it doesn’t have the richer imprint that the 17 Sonoma Coast had a few weeks ago. This is a little more stern, with good polish and a tangy intensity to the fruit. Think of it as earthier raspberry, with a loamy/autumn leaf thing. Once that flavor hits the palate, then follow that with a clean blueberry, herb and a kiss of vanilla, but that is the extent for me of any oak imprint thus far. And as I look back at my February 2019 note, the profile looks pretty consistent, which for me is a good sign for my palate perception and the way the wine is showing, too. This is really showing beautifully, with the ripeness dialed in nicely, and FWIW this is labeled at 13.8% ABV, which seems spot on. More to follow from dinner but this is my first pass with the wine while I can focus on it…after dinner, I had another small pour. This is dialed in, mixing the fruit and depth of what RM can be when it is on. What I notice on this fresh pour (and I have a real good size glass left for tomorrow!) is the acidity buffers the red and black fruit so well, and it’s all working in balance, together. Another strong vintage for RM Ox.

Posted from CellarTracker

Way to Pobega one for the team, FM3. Sounds very tasty.

Thanks for the notes, look forward to trying mine.

Thanks for the TN. It sounds amazing

Frank: I would agree on buying just his SVD bottlings…this is all I picked up on the last mailer. Thanks for the TN.

See? Was I so wrong to anoint it my WOTD at FallTac? [grin.gif]

“2017 Rivers-Marie Occidental PN
That’s nice. It teases the nostrils with strawberry, raspberry, the barest hint of mocha. Even better on the tongue, sleek and gentle and insistent with raspberry and wild strawberry. Amazed that it’s drinking this well so young. Beautiful PN and my WOTD”

Sante, Frank.

Mike

Thanks for the replies everyone–appreciate it.

So Sweater Mike, you once again have your genius affirmed. I have a good size glass left, which I am going to get after here in an hour or so and watch a couple Game 7s tonight. Probably pair the Ox with some organic mac and cheese, as Jill is working late. cheesehead

I had a 2008 Summa OV and it was in such a great spot. I have one more and it can still go for a while.

The last glass I finished over dinner yesterday. Such a great bottle of CA PN, and I took the step to add it to my WOTY list–for me, it is that good.

I don’t know about “genius”, Frank, but for me it only is another affirmation that your palate and mine are pretty darned closely aligned. I could think of a lot worse people to be in phase with :slight_smile: But most importantly for me, it means I can take lots from your notes as to wines I may not have tried that I will likely enjoy.

Salud, hermano

Mike

Frank, if you’ve had 14/15 Occidental, how does the 17 compare to those?

Matt, my notes on both are in Cellartracker. not sure if you use it or not. I have a fondness for Ox, my two TNs there will reflect that, too. To really know I would want to do them side by side but short of that I have to think the 17 is best.

Opened a 14 last Friday and it was great from pnp to finishing a couple hours later. Definitely benefited from 30 minutes of air

These never last in my house. I keep Summa OV, but the rest disappear in 1-3 months after arrival.

Matt, you wanted to know about the 2014…just opened one for tonight’s NYE dinner. I’d say the 2014 is more restrained and lighter in feel than the 2017. Here is my note I just put into CT. Happy new year, buddy.

• 2014 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Occidental Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/31/2019)
    Last tried back in 2016, when I wrote a very positive note on the wine. Three years later, decided tonight to open the final bottle to go with New Year’s Eve dinner. Tasting without food at room temp (67f). Hard for me to describe the aromatics, as nothing is overt, more subtle. My best descriptors would be some jam aroma, along with some residual toasted wood that is lightly smoky and fragrant. The palate here is where the wine shines. It’s settled down the past 3 years, more subtle and nuanced, with raspberry hard candy, spicy blueberry jam, and a beam of blood orange acidity that cuts through all of it, finishing with a brushing of caramel. The finish is energized by the acidity, creating some pretty serious length, too. A nice marriage of acid, CA ripeness and yet, the weight of the wine is well balanced and restrained, making it work well.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the update! Happy New Year as well!

Thank you for sharing…we seem to enjoy some of the same wines!

Your notes are a real pleasure to read. I can taste the wine. Thank you.

Thank guys. I opened the 2015 last night, and scrawled out some notes on it. I sent the remainder of the bottle home with someone but I will throw some notes up later if it helps.