Lunch with 16 Bordeaux, 1 standout and 10 not so good/ flawed wines on a beautiful day

Its rare that I experience a wine event where there are more than a couple of “off” wines, if any at all, but our most recent monthly lunch groups luncheon definitely took top honors for having the most in one sitting. In fact, I hesitated more than a few times to even write up these notes, but found enough pearls to warrant such and titled it as positive as I could think of.

The broad wine theme featured wines from Bordeaux.

Fifteen of us shared 20 bottles paired with the following menu:

First Course
Chilled vichyssoise

Second Course
Stew roasted quail stuffed with mushroom truffle pate served with scalloped potatoes

Third Course
Rack of lamb with herb roasted vegetables and potato confit

Fourth Course
Wild arugula salad with cherry tomatoes and champagne vinaigrette

Cheese Course
Saint Andres

Dessert
Pear galette with lavender ice cream

For those who might wonder if the arugula salad worked with red Bordeaux, it did not.

For those wondering if we had good, solid unflawed bottles of wine, we had a few.

The first flight of 4 wines contained 3 that were saturated with Brett {85 Clerc Milon, 82, my bring, Chateau Branaire-Ducru, 96 Chateau Branaire}. The other bottle was corked [89 Pichon Lalande]. The first wine of the 2nd flight also was Brett laden {96 Chateau Gloris} as were others later on {95 Gloria, 94 Cos dEstournel, 00 Smith Haut-Lafitte}. Also, we had a 96 Calon-Segur and 98` Figeac that were truly off bottles.

What’s with the wine gods on this day?

And there were some decent wines with one a particular standout. We started off with-

NV CHARLES HEIDSIECK BRUT RESERVE- disgorged in 2017, this creamy and lush bubbly gave generous amount of fresh citrus notes acceded by toast and spice; on the palate it was expressed as lemon, lime and orange peel; this has some weight and length to make for a sound wine.

fullsizeoutput_2372.jpeg
2014 CHATEAU CARBONNIEUX BLANC PESSAC-LEOGNAN- 67% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Semillon; light yellow color; the nose was full of white flowers, grass and hay followed by nice citrus fruit and minerals and grapefruit coming in late. Might have been the best choice for the arugula, but gone by the time we got there.

fullsizeoutput_2371.jpeg
1988 CHATEAU d`YQUEM LUR-SALUCE “Y” SAUTERNES- 80% Sémillon, 20% Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadelle; pale yellow color; minerality is the first perception on the nose, then came citrus and green minty notes in this creamy, delightful version of a mature “Y”.

fullsizeoutput_2376.jpeg
The first red wine that was free and clear of flaw and our 6th of 16 was:

1990 CHATEAU LA CONSEILLANTE POMEROL- it wins red WOTD by default for holding on to just be viable {kidding}; suggesting some age with its browning color, this had mature notes of dried dark fruit with liquorice flavored black currant running through it from the nose on.

fullsizeoutput_2377.jpeg
2000 CHATEAU CORBIN SAINT. EMILION- I don’t recall ever having a wine from this producer altho they are one of the oldest in St-Emilion dating back into the 1500s; the color was a still youthful and vibrant dark purple and the nose impressed with lots of dark fruit fragrances; leather infused black currant, plum and blackberry highlight the taste profile.

fullsizeoutput_2378.jpeg
2000 CHATEAU-FIGEAC SAINT-EMILION- initially this was very approachable offering inviting pleasant aromas of spicy and chocolate accented dark fruit which continued on in this full bodied, layered wine; past mid palate, the plum and blackcurrant fruit dried out a bit and it finished somewhat astringent.

fullsizeoutput_2379.jpeg
1998 CHATEAU SMITH HAUT LAFITTE PESSAC-LEOGNAN- our bottle was passable with dried out tertiary black currant and plum that had an earthy note; hints of past greatness eeked through and I focused more upon that to make it a winner.

fullsizeoutput_237a.jpeg
2003 CHATEAU PAVIE-DECESSE SAINT-EMILION- drum roll……this wine is the main reason I even wrote up the notes, in fact, it was so good, I would have at least written up this one; it was youthfully fresh and vibrant with intense dark purple color and aromas to match giving jammy blackberry notes that continued on with accents of chocolate and licorice blending in; its beautifully structured, has soft tannins and layered depth and complexity; full and long, it just exudes class with some subtle power and more obvious finesse. My WOTD and what made it worth trudging through so many that underwhelmed.

fullsizeoutput_237b.jpeg
2015 CHATEAU CANTENAC-BROWN MARGAUX- so young and in need of some growing up; I do not believe it was decanted, but could have benefitted with a few hours of air; its frisky, energetic and a bit discombobulated still trying to balance out and find its settling point; there’s enough backbone to suggest its got the stuffing to evolve and mature into something worth re-visiting in about 15-20 years.

fullsizeoutput_237d.jpeg
2005 CHATEAU RIEUSSEC SAUTERNES- creamy feel and texture carry honeyed and vanilla flavored pear and peach all the way to the back end and leave a coat of film that hangs our for hours; a little sip will do ya.

fullsizeoutput_2374.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake

I appreciate hearing the good and the bad Blake, so thanks for taking the time. But I thought there are no good 2003’s rolleyes

I have noticed that once I have one flawed bottle, I am more likely to find another flawed bottle at the same tasting. I am not sure exactly why this is but I assume that once I catch whiff of a flaw that I become more aware of it and then will notice it in other wines at lower concentration levels that wouldn’t have set me off prior.

Bummer Blake! Crazy that so many were due to brett.

There’s at least one good 03` Robert. It made my day.

Good point Brian. I’ve had that thought as well, but never been faced with so many heightened opportunities. I can think of one that was at the bottom of my threshold for detection. The others were blatant regardless of a first time exposure.

Whats also surprising is I'm not aware of amy others, including some winemakers, who tasted these wines who picked up on ANY flaws and my olfactory sense is just above average IMO. My wifes is 2-3 times more sensitive and whenever I have a doubt, I yield to her perception.

Strange that the '98 Smith Haut Lafitte was past it’s prime. I would have thought it would have another 10+ years ahead of it, easily. Any thoughts that it may not have been well stored? I think I’ve got 1-2 bottles of this left…maybe time to drink up!

The photo under your note for the 2005 Rieussec is of the 2007 Doisy-Védrines. Did you have both wines?

Naw John. This has to be a bad bottle for whatever reason. Your bottles should be really good assuming no storage/ transport issues.

Mike, thanks for the heads on the wrong selection from Photos. The D-V was for another recent post and I failed to pick it up on edit.

Likewise, check your “Y” note/pic mismatch.

Got it. Thanks

Wonderful notes, Blake… very revealing/interesting and definitely a journey of an afternoon.

#KeepTrudging would be fantastic crest for a wine group :slight_smile:

Thanks Nick. I will definitely keep on trudging and have to think there are so many good journeys ahead and this one time anomaly used up a large percent of the overall flawed wine experiences.

You can’t win 'em all. Thank you for the report.

I haven’t had a 1990 Conseillante in a while, but when it was in its prime it was killer.

Just picked up some 2015 Brane Cantenac. Sounds like it’ll be worth the wait.