GrapeCollective: Slovenian Wines

A rather interesting article by ChristopherBarnes in GrapeCollective:
SlovenianWines

Mostly it’s an interview w/ MartinGruzovin of the VipavskaVlly/GuerilaWnry.

He talks a lot about renewed interested in Zelen & Pinela grapes. The VipavskaVlly is, to my estimate, a bit of an undercheiving area. I think it has the potential to be one of the finest growing regions in Slovenia, and some of the wines are very fine. But a lot are sort of quotidian.
He talks about the controversary over the use of the Teran name. In Italy, Teran/Terrano is regarded as a grape variety, a member of the Refosco family. The Slovenians went to ECM and got a ruling that Teran can only refer to Refosco grown on the red soils of the Kras/Carso plateau. This upset a lot of folks in Italy/Carso and in Croatia. There is apparently some evidence that the Teran variety originated in Croatia. Apparently, they’ve relaxed that ruling and Friuli/Carso and Croatia can now use, nce again, Teran as a grape name.

I’m not familiar w/ Martin’s Guerila wines.

Anyway, an interesting article on a region I like quite a lot.
Tom

Tom, I was in Slovenia 1.5 years ago.The Vipavska Valley is a great wine region in the western part of the country (along with Goriška Brda), and most of the wine imported (at least to Minnesota where I live) is from the eastern part near Hungary. They’re okay, but not like the wines from the west. I hand carried back some Zelen, Rebula (Ribolla Gialla), and a sparkling Pinela. They’ve long been emptied, but were very enjoyable.