BS pricing

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
GregT
Posts: 8235
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

BS pricing

#1 Post by GregT » April 19th, 2019, 12:29 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hung ... SKCN1RU0LK

Basically, they want Tokaji Aszú to be as revered as it once was. Today in the US, people think of Burgundy and Bordeaux as being the most collectable and desirable wines on the planet, but that wasn't always the case. So they figure if they charge $40,000 a bottle and only make a few bottles, they'll be back up in the expensive wine category.

It's what makes people think wine drinkers are stupid. The wine isn't any better than the bottles costing much less, the extra pricing is strictly for marketing. I thought the French and CA cult producers had the lead in BS pricing, but I guess these guys lapped them.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

E. Mark Larson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 239
Joined: September 4th, 2014, 10:34 am
Location: Diamond Bar, CA

Re: BS pricing

#2 Post by E. Mark Larson » April 19th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Do they give case discounts?

[wink.gif]

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3530
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: BS pricing

#3 Post by Scott G r u n e r » April 19th, 2019, 12:50 pm

All press is good press. They got them some press.
//Cynic

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5731
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: BS pricing

#4 Post by Jim Anderson » April 19th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Wait until you try our $35/glass Muscat!
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

User avatar
Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 522
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

Re: BS pricing

#5 Post by Hank Victor » April 19th, 2019, 1:12 pm

The first buyer did not wait that long - shortly after placing the order, an unnamed Chinese investor threw a party for clients where the wine was promptly uncorked, Kovacs said.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

H V br1M@

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5198
Joined: October 21st, 2009, 9:42 am
Location: MA

Re: BS pricing

#6 Post by Doug Schulman » April 19th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Does the article even say what the wine is? I don't see it.

User avatar
Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17573
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Re: BS pricing

#7 Post by Paul McCourt » April 19th, 2019, 2:30 pm

E. Mark Larson wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 12:49 pm
Do they give case discounts?

[wink.gif]
I was gonna buy, but the shipping cost was too high.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

User avatar
GregT
Posts: 8235
Joined: April 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

Re: BS pricing

#8 Post by GregT » April 19th, 2019, 3:45 pm

And the packaging is not eco-friendly.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17048
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: BS pricing

#9 Post by John Morris » April 19th, 2019, 3:54 pm

GregT wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 12:29 pm
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hung ... SKCN1RU0LK

Basically, they want Tokaji Aszú to be as revered as it once was. Today in the US, people think of Burgundy and Bordeaux as being the most collectable and desirable wines on the planet, but that wasn't always the case. So they figure if they charge $40,000 a bottle and only make a few bottles, they'll be back up in the expensive wine category.

It's what makes people think wine drinkers are stupid. The wine isn't any better than the bottles costing much less, the extra pricing is strictly for marketing. I thought the French and CA cult producers had the lead in BS pricing, but I guess these guys lapped them.
As I recall, circa 1900, late harvest Rhine wines were the most expensive in the world.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6307
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: BS pricing

#10 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 19th, 2019, 5:57 pm

It is clever; when someone who knows little about wine wants the best, he may decide that the best is the most expensive.
ITB

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6307
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: BS pricing

#11 Post by Mark Golodetz » April 19th, 2019, 6:00 pm

John Morris wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 3:54 pm
GregT wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 12:29 pm
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hung ... SKCN1RU0LK

Basically, they want Tokaji Aszú to be as revered as it once was. Today in the US, people think of Burgundy and Bordeaux as being the most collectable and desirable wines on the planet, but that wasn't always the case. So they figure if they charge $40,000 a bottle and only make a few bottles, they'll be back up in the expensive wine category.

It's what makes people think wine drinkers are stupid. The wine isn't any better than the bottles costing much less, the extra pricing is strictly for marketing. I thought the French and CA cult producers had the lead in BS pricing, but I guess these guys lapped them.
As I recall, circa 1900, late harvest Rhine wines were the most expensive in the world.
True. But for the First World War, and the boycott of German wines, they might still be. Unlikely but possible.
ITB

MikeHill
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 86
Joined: November 21st, 2018, 10:04 am

Re: BS pricing

#12 Post by MikeHill » April 19th, 2019, 6:40 pm

$40,000 wine is dead at retail

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7385
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: BS pricing

#13 Post by Mark Y » April 19th, 2019, 6:42 pm

MikeHill wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 6:40 pm
$40,000 wine is dead at retail
i'd say it $40,000 wine never lived at retail ;)
Y.e.

Nathan Smyth
Posts: 3590
Joined: February 15th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Re: BS pricing

#14 Post by Nathan Smyth » April 20th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Mark Y wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 6:42 pm
MikeHill wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 6:40 pm
$40,000 wine is dead at retail
i'd say it $40,000 wine never lived at retail ;)
This thread was only a couple of weeks ago:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159830

Direct link:

https://www.klwines.com/Auction/Bidding ... ku=1407679

$40,000 in 2019 dollars translates to roughly $2500 in 1999 dollars [I can't imagine that a then-recent release of a DRC-RC, or a JJ Prum Auction TBA, sold for much more than $2500 in 1999 - maybe $4000 max].

I know there's an absolute rock-solid ban on mentioning whatever the various moderators deem to be "politics" at any particular moment of any particular day, depending upon their particular moods at the particular time in question, but you Civilians, who aren't aware of the omnipotent power of Fake Money and the Global Corruption Industrial Complex, need to wake up and smell the dadgum coffee.

If you're a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer or a dentist or an accountant or a real estate agent, grossing $250K to $500K per year, then you don't amount to an ant - not even a gnat - when compared to the 21st Century Oligarchs.

They live in an entirely different reality, which exists completely apart from Civilian life.
.

User avatar
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 17048
Joined: June 21st, 2009, 2:09 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: BS pricing

#15 Post by John Morris » April 20th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Nathan Smyth wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 1:20 pm
$40,000 in 2019 dollars translates to roughly $2500 in 1999 dollars [I can't imagine that a then-recent release of a DRC-RC, or a JJ Prum Auction TBA, sold for much more than $2500 in 1999 - maybe $4000 max].
You're off by more than a factor of 10: $40,000 today is equivalent to about $26,000 in 1999 dollars.
"English doesn't just borrow foreign words, it stalks languages down dark alleyways, knocks them over and then rifles their pockets for new words." -- @Another NPC on YouTube

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 995
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: BS pricing

#16 Post by Greg K » April 20th, 2019, 4:58 pm

John Morris wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 2:15 pm
Nathan Smyth wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 1:20 pm
$40,000 in 2019 dollars translates to roughly $2500 in 1999 dollars [I can't imagine that a then-recent release of a DRC-RC, or a JJ Prum Auction TBA, sold for much more than $2500 in 1999 - maybe $4000 max].
You're off by more than a factor of 10: $40,000 today is equivalent to about $26,000 in 1999 dollars.
Forget it John, he’s on a roll.
Greg Kahn

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”