TN: A smattering

2010 Carlisle Bennett Valle Syrah - Pleasant nose of darker red fruit, but palate is muddled, little fruit, slight acidic/harsh note, clipped finish. Not helped by spices in Moroccan chicken dinner. No change on day 2. Probably better than the notes suggest, but Carlisle has a high bar. Why did I cellar this?

2013 Dom. Heresztyn-Mazzini Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Village - Pretty burgundian nose of brighter red cherry, florals, sous bois; palate is a little heavier, darker red fruit with a meatier component weighing down the fruit. Needs more time?

2015 Halcon Tierra Theopolis Petite Sirah - tastes young, dark fruits with strong black pepper on the palate. Great match with smoked chicken and andouille gumbo. Will be fun to track this.

2001 Cascina Bruni Barolo Rivasotto – Decanted six hours, tasting along the way. Tight and tart when opened with a faint rose/cherry nose; kept evolving picking up some depth of fruit, still light on its feet, with sweet tobacco, tar, rose petal notes. Lovely Barolo and great match with porcini mushroom risotto. Ohhh, this is why I cellar wines!

2014 JB Neufeld Two Blondes Cabernet Sauvignon – decanted 30 min; nice restrained style; crisp cassis fruit, some tannin to resolve, but light on its feet, elegant. Nice match with sous vide steak. I’ll let the others rest awhile before popping again.

2015 Mateo Pinot Noir - Light pinot/cherry/strawberry nose; simple, straightforward cherry fruit with a little acidity which helps with food. Went well with pan seared chicken and mushroom sauce and a nice qpr/cellar defender style.

2011 Carlos Serres Reserva Tempranillo – another $15 quaffer with typical inexpensive Rioja flavors of cherry, oak, hint of spice/earth, light, but feels like it is ready to fade, so drink up.

2009 Congruence Cabernet Sauvignon – really in the drinking zone; sweet cassis, dark full, slightly sweet fruit with enough acid and tannin to balance. Fantastic with steak au poivre. Have a few left; can it get better or just older? Calling Dr. Eisenhauer.

2008 Congruence Cabernet Sauvignon –a well-integrated, balanced, very nice mature cab with cassis, some savory/herbal notes; a little bell pepper that made it taste a step behind the 2009. Last glass seemed to be fading so have to try another soon.

2013 Bedrock Belle Du Jour Zinfandel - cherry nose with slightly subdued palate; nice fruit, but not much pop in terms of spice/pepper at first. Opens up with grilled tri-tip, picking up more body, cherry fruit deepens into smooth and elegant zin. Very nice, but maybe a little more time sideways to integrate.

It’s mostly just guesswork and whether my attempts to create a wine with a long drinking window worked. Structurally, the 2009 is a little fatter, which sort of confirms your notes, and will last not quite as long the 2008, imo. But with that proviso, I think the 2009 is in a slightly better place right now and that the 2008 will prove more interesting down the road.

Wow! Thanks for the tasting notes!!

Thanks, Steve. I think your attempts worked as these are both delicious wines right now and I’m glad I have them in my cellar.

Thanks, Drew. I wish I was better at posting notes, but mostly drink them with friends and family with food and generally don’t take the time/remember to take notes at the time. I appreciate all the great information and knowledge everyone shares here so my attempt to contribute.