Ribeira Sacra

A fantastic area in Spain, grapes both red and white. The whites are mostly Albarino, Godello, Dona Blanca, red is Mencia, Cannonau(Grenache) plus some local varities.
A load of small producers, 100% whole cluster and very steep vineyards, very pretty almost only hand harvest.
I have tasted some producers like :
Eulogio Pomares Penapedre Tinto 2015,Dominio Do Bibei Lacima 2014, Envinate Lousas Vino De Aldea 2017.
All wines are so delicious, cool climate and very fresh.
Do you have any experiences with this area very near to Galicia?

I’m a fan. Seems like a high level of quality across the board. (Unlike Bierzo, where it’s warmer and many producers seem to be trying to force Mencia to be something else.) Favorite producer from what I’ve tried is Algueira. Quite a few bottlings, all very fairly priced. Easily my favorite Spanish producer. To me, their best wines are the Brancellao (Alvarelhao) and the Merenzao (Trousseau). I’d like to see more producers planting those two varieties there. (Those are the best examples of those two varieties I’ve had from anywhere.)

Ebbe,

Are you looking for travel recommendations in the area or just winery picks? I stayed at Hotel Cardenal in Monforte de Lemos with a beautiful view of the river that runs through the town. The Consejo Regulador Ribeira Sacra is in Monforte and they have a broad selection wine wines from the region. I used the town as my base to not only visit producers in Ribeira Sacra, but also in Ribeiro, Valdeorras, etc.

I love the region and can’t wait to go back. Driving through the hills the line the the river Sil is a hell of a lot of fun - just be careful in the sections with no guard rails!

I would like to drive through that area, but this summer we are in Cantabria(Bilbao and Santander) so next year perhaps , [cheers.gif] I was thinking Asturias and Galicia.