Dig through this wine list challenge.

I always enjoy living vicariously through the help with wine lists threads so I thought I’d pose one that we have upcoming.

We are heading to New Orleans and I always try to make an afternoon course of restaurant Revolution’s Death by Gumbo. We will be just hanging for an hour or so at the bar with most likely only that dish and daube glacé. So keep that in mind for a pairing here. As this will be pretty casual the best bargain will probably win here but I can’t see going much above $200 or so. Beer of course is always an option with Gumbo at some of these prices. Anybody see any hidden gems?

Here’s the list:

Anything by Parish brewing should do the trick. Or the 3F lambic for a crisp sour

Love the SCI avatar btw. Haven’t seen them since their hiatus way back when

I dunno, the Tannat from the Russian River Valley looks appropriately nerdy.

If it were just me that’s definitely what I’d do Evan. But a nice wine will keep my wife engaged and in the game, as there will be plenty of time for beer throughout the night during Jazzfest. I thought I was flying under the radar with SCI, I’m a pre break guy, but still enjoy an occasional show.

There are some sub $100 bubbles from producers I’ve never heard of and my wife will drink bubbles with anything I think. An acidic based one might work, but I’m not looking necessarily for a perfect pairing, just a fun value wine if there is one to be found on that list. [cheers.gif]

I’ve been debating what goes with gumbo, zin or bubbles might be the best bet.

I made the mistake of looking over the list while waiting to have my blood pressure checked. The under $75 category is a pleasant addition from the last time I saw their list, assuming that those are for 750ml bottles, but so many of the markups are so obscene (rapacious pricing at 4x retail or more for current releases isn’t unusual) that $35/glass for Patricia Green Muscat is also plausible.

If the $75 and under section is for 750ml bottles, then the Patty Green Muscat or Monchhof Riesling could be fun with gumbo. Otherwise, I’d go for beer.

If you have strong masochistic tendencies, then $155 for the 375ml 2015 Prum GH Auslese that I bought for $24 would be a good fit, though there are so many opportunities to grossly over pay that it is shooting fish in a barrel if you want to engage in a round of financial self-harm. It remains one of the most obscenely priced lists I’ve ever seen.

Head spinning list for sure. If you can’t go big because it doesn’t make sense given the situation maybe just the Triennes Rose. Would be terrific with the gumbo and really easy on the wallet as well.

I need to get down there. The have like 12 of our wines on the list.

Thanks for the plug! It is $35 by the bottle though! Man, if we were selling that so it was $35 by the glass I would have a different sort of lifestyle than I do. And, yes, that’s a 750ML!

Oy vey…the markups are huge on these. I can’t find an emoticon with a head down shaking No, No, No. [bleh.gif] <<<maybe this works.

Robert, what about the Matthiasson Linda Vista Chard? Probably marked up 250% but at $75, for what is in the bottle, the wine is terrific. Aside from that, I say either buy a damn beer or better, support Jim Anderson.

If you end to going over $100 bucks, just go big and order the 2010 Rougeard Bourg for $275. I don’t see any other “values”

Gumbo, I’d probably stay away from red. One of the less expensive Champagnes, or a white with some cut. If you drink Sauvignon Blanc, the Lucien Crochet is a nice wine. For Chardonnay, the Hubert Lamy Princee is very nice, and not unfairly priced these days. As already mentioned, the Rougeard Bourg (assuming not a mis-print) is a ridiculous bargain. I’d see if they would sell it to you, then flip it for twice the price.

The 2015 Loosen “Blue Slate” is unbelievably delicious - and at $55 only about 4.5 x what i paid.

Pricing on that list is … um, ambitious.

Missed that. That’s actually cheap at retail.

Ambitious is very tactful, Maureen. Another example as to why I haul my own booze around to dinners. I don’t work in the restaurant business and I can’t claim to know the direct and indirect costs that are requisite in running a successful dining business but I just can’t fathom paying these markups. I’ll never disrespect a restaurant for charging cork, nor will I bring anything that is on the wine list. I will though not pay these markups.

I would not spend high dollar on accompaniment to gumbo. Abita beer is fine with me and goes well. The prices on this wine list are obscene and tremendously overpriced so I wouldn’t buy any of them. The Triennes Rose is a decent buy but not a whole lot else.

musar white?

Turley, Cinsault Bechthold Vnyd. - $60.
Overpriced but not stupidly so, reliable regardless of vintage (in case the list is inaccurate) and pairs with your proposed choices for food (it’s a lighter red). And damn good wine.
If white is your choice, Pieropan, Soave Calvarino - $65.
Overpriced but not stupidly so, reliable regardless of vintage and should pair well. Single vineyard done in stainless and, with air, can be magnificent - decant.
Best, Jim

Jeezum Crow. Their Ulysse Collin Champagnes are $450. I have two restaurants walking distance from my house where they’re $150 and $187 (and the latter is a Michelin ***).

The P Green Muscat has to be a typo as I saw that as well. The Rougeard I believe is priced correctly because when I was down there 2 years ago they had four or five vintages available and I had some small talk about it with the bartender. I just didn’t think it was the wisest choice match wise, but maybe we can find some downtime to sit and enjoy it properly.

Thanks for some thoughts on other less expensive whites/rose. Has anybody had WARIS HUBERT, Collet, or Tribaut champagnes, those are all sub $100 so markup can’t be that bad, if enjoyable.

Edit to say I looked those up on WS and the Waris Hubert looks like the bargain ~$50+ retail. Any of the others around $100-150 strike anyone? The Ruinart @135 isn’t crazy but not very exciting I guess.

So this is basically a restaurant list backstopped by a private cellar right?