Michelin restaurants and fabulous wines: Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty

From the author that brought you the NBA secret wine society.

Seated at the head of one of those tables, beside a window that offers a sweeping view of the California state capitol building across the street, is Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

“Explain this,” Popovich barks to Threat, brandishing the wine list. Threat is perplexed.

“How did you do this?” Popovich asks. “This list has some of my favorite wines. Did you guys just have this? You’ve got to explain yourself.”

Threat explains himself. He explains how hours earlier, when he had learned that the Spurs might be coming in, he’d recalled a Wine Spectator magazine feature that had listed many of Pop’s favorite wines. He explains how he’d called a nearby friend who possesses a deep cellar, how his friend had hauled in about 120 bottles worth roughly $50,000 in total, how Threat had built the list that Pop now holds of 54 wines: the legendary 1990 Chateau d’Yquem; the acclaimed Masseto in 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2001 vintages; the iconic 1994 and 1995 Ornellaia.

Popovich is incredulous. “You’ve got to be kidding me. Really?” Then he orders 10 bottles. And when they arrive, the coach transforms into a happy sommelier, bounding about the room, pouring for everyone. “You’ve got to try this!” At the end of the night, he buys another 10 bottles – to go.

pretty cool stuff, thanks

Knew it was Baxter without clicking the link.

Neat article, funny how the guy “loaned” 120 bottles of wine for the list and Pop took a bunch home with him.
Ok, so Falcon Crest was a soap opera about wine?

I should have put in my resume for a legal position for the Spurs a decade ago. I really don’t know what I was thinking…I mean other than consideration for my wife and her career and all that.

You didn’t have your priorities straight

Amazing. Always admired Popovich and his leadership - now even moreso.

Dont see anything about Tottenham, the original Spurs ?

I love how the article demonstrates Pop’s use of food, wine, dinners, etc as a tool to build family. It’s a really good recipe.

It also showcases a spirit of big generosity, something I think we could all use more of.

And the last bit about the young somm he encourages… just great stuff. I think he’s in the business of building individuals as well as team. Thanks for sharing, Charlie.

Pop is a leader on and off the court. A strong advocate in what he believes in.

Back when I was a sommelier, I did wine service for Pop quite a bit. He’s a huge Burgundy guy with a great palate and I sold him lots of Raveneau and Roulot. I distinctly remember introducing him to the wines of Simon Bize and how excited he was to discover a new producer. Great guy.

I posted an article on reddit and someone mentioned that he had noticed Pop dining and sent him a glass of 2012 Raveneau 1er he opened. At the end of the dinner he gets a tap on his shoulder and it’s Pop thanking him for the pour and they ended up chatting for ten minutes.

Pretty cool!

1 Like

That is very cool!

It was a prime time soap opera, like Dallas, sites at Spring Mountain Winery (in its opening shot)

Best known for bottling it though.

fun read, thanks for posting. I worked with a guy that used to sell Popovich wine but I didn’t realize how significant his wine interest was until reading that.

I was lucky enough to have a glass on Friday next to Becky Hammon, one of the assistant coaches for the Spurs since 2014. I asked her what Pop thought about the article. She also thought it was flattering toward him, but said that he hates having private family business discussed openly (which I think everyone knows). Apparently the author did over a year of research to gather enough content for the article. Coach Hammon said she is developing her palate over the last 4-5 years and was totally charming to meet.

+1,000

Yep. He started researching in October/nov of 2017. Finished it a couple months ago. So a little over a year.

He also had a lot more content that didn’t make it into the article. I.e. “what wine would you serve pop” , which is a fun question.

1 Like

My brother played for Coach Popovich in college.

If I sent him a care package, what of Briceland would I put in it?

Clearly, none it our wines are in those lanes, but it must tell people here who know those wine about his stylistic preferences, no?