Michelin restaurants and fabulous wines: Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

Michelin restaurants and fabulous wines: Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty

#1 Post by c fu » April 18th, 2019, 6:50 am

From the author that brought you the NBA secret wine society.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2652 ... rs-dynasty
Seated at the head of one of those tables, beside a window that offers a sweeping view of the California state capitol building across the street, is Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

"Explain this," Popovich barks to Threat, brandishing the wine list. Threat is perplexed.

"How did you do this?" Popovich asks. "This list has some of my favorite wines. Did you guys just have this? You've got to explain yourself."

Threat explains himself. He explains how hours earlier, when he had learned that the Spurs might be coming in, he'd recalled a Wine Spectator magazine feature that had listed many of Pop's favorite wines. He explains how he'd called a nearby friend who possesses a deep cellar, how his friend had hauled in about 120 bottles worth roughly $50,000 in total, how Threat had built the list that Pop now holds of 54 wines: the legendary 1990 Chateau d'Yquem; the acclaimed Masseto in 1996, 1997, 1999 and 2001 vintages; the iconic 1994 and 1995 Ornellaia.

Popovich is incredulous. "You've got to be kidding me. Really?" Then he orders 10 bottles. And when they arrive, the coach transforms into a happy sommelier, bounding about the room, pouring for everyone. "You've got to try this!" At the end of the night, he buys another 10 bottles -- to go.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Michelin restaurants and fabulous wines: Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty

#2 Post by mark rudner » April 18th, 2019, 7:14 am

pretty cool stuff, thanks

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Michelin restaurants and fabulous wines: Inside the secret team dinners that have built the Spurs' dynasty

#3 Post by A. So » April 18th, 2019, 7:32 am

Knew it was Baxter without clicking the link.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Robert M yers » April 18th, 2019, 7:50 am

Neat article, funny how the guy “loaned” 120 bottles of wine for the list and Pop took a bunch home with him.
Ok, so Falcon Crest was a soap opera about wine?

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by K John Joseph » April 18th, 2019, 7:56 am

I should have put in my resume for a legal position for the Spurs a decade ago. I really don't know what I was thinking...I mean other than consideration for my wife and her career and all that.
J0hn-J-K4ne

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#6 Post by c fu » April 18th, 2019, 8:08 am

K John Joseph wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 7:56 am
I should have put in my resume for a legal position for the Spurs a decade ago. I really don't know what I was thinking...I mean other than consideration for my wife and her career and all that.
You didn’t have your priorities straight
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

bradkaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by bradkaplan » April 18th, 2019, 8:09 am

Amazing. Always admired Popovich and his leadership - now even moreso.
www.ThirstySouth.com

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Alan Eden » April 18th, 2019, 8:47 am

Dont see anything about Tottenham, the original Spurs ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by J.Vizuete » April 18th, 2019, 2:42 pm

I love how the article demonstrates Pop's use of food, wine, dinners, etc as a tool to build family. It's a really good recipe.

It also showcases a spirit of big generosity, something I think we could all use more of.

And the last bit about the young somm he encourages... just great stuff. I think he's in the business of building individuals as well as team. Thanks for sharing, Charlie.
John V.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#10 Post by c fu » April 18th, 2019, 3:10 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 2:42 pm
I love how the article demonstrates Pop's use of food, wine, dinners, etc as a tool to build family. It's a really good recipe.

It also showcases a spirit of big generosity, something I think we could all use more of.

And the last bit about the young somm he encourages... just great stuff. I think he's in the business of building individuals as well as team. Thanks for sharing, Charlie.
Pop is a leader on and off the court. A strong advocate in what he believes in.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

BlaineRyanHunt

#11 Post by BlaineRyanHunt » April 18th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Back when I was a sommelier, I did wine service for Pop quite a bit. He’s a huge Burgundy guy with a great palate and I sold him lots of Raveneau and Roulot. I distinctly remember introducing him to the wines of Simon Bize and how excited he was to discover a new producer. Great guy.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#12 Post by c fu » April 18th, 2019, 4:31 pm

BlaineRyanHunt wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 4:21 pm
Back when I was a sommelier, I did wine service for Pop quite a bit. He’s a huge Burgundy guy with a great palate and I sold him lots of Raveneau and Roulot. I distinctly remember introducing him to the wines of Simon Bize and how excited he was to discover a new producer. Great guy.
I posted an article on reddit and someone mentioned that he had noticed Pop dining and sent him a glass of 2012 Raveneau 1er he opened. At the end of the dinner he gets a tap on his shoulder and it's Pop thanking him for the pour and they ended up chatting for ten minutes.

Pretty cool!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

BlaineRyanHunt

#13 Post by BlaineRyanHunt » April 18th, 2019, 4:47 pm

That is very cool!

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by David K o l i n » April 18th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 7:50 am
Neat article, funny how the guy “loaned” 120 bottles of wine for the list and Pop took a bunch home with him.
Ok, so Falcon Crest was a soap opera about wine?
It was a prime time soap opera, like Dallas, sites at Spring Mountain Winery (in its opening shot)

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Michae1 P0wers » April 18th, 2019, 5:41 pm

Alan Eden wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 8:47 am
Dont see anything about Tottenham, the original Spurs ?
Best known for bottling it though.

Maxwell A.

#16 Post by Maxwell A. » April 18th, 2019, 5:48 pm

fun read, thanks for posting. I worked with a guy that used to sell Popovich wine but I didn't realize how significant his wine interest was until reading that.
Max Andrle

Instagram - musignymax

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by J.Vizuete » April 21st, 2019, 2:31 pm

I was lucky enough to have a glass on Friday next to Becky Hammon, one of the assistant coaches for the Spurs since 2014. I asked her what Pop thought about the article. She also thought it was flattering toward him, but said that he hates having private family business discussed openly (which I think everyone knows). Apparently the author did over a year of research to gather enough content for the article. Coach Hammon said she is developing her palate over the last 4-5 years and was totally charming to meet.
John V.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Albert R » April 21st, 2019, 2:52 pm

bradkaplan wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 8:09 am
Amazing. Always admired Popovich and his leadership - now even moreso.

+1,000
Cheers,

@. Re-go

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by c fu » April 21st, 2019, 3:40 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 2:31 pm
I was lucky enough to have a glass on Friday next to Becky Hammon, one of the assistant coaches for the Spurs since 2014. I asked her what Pop thought about the article. She also thought it was flattering toward him, but said that he hates having private family business discussed openly (which I think everyone knows). Apparently the author did over a year of research to gather enough content for the article. Coach Hammon said she is developing her palate over the last 4-5 years and was totally charming to meet.
Yep. He started researching in October/nov of 2017. Finished it a couple months ago. So a little over a year.

He also had a lot more content that didn’t make it into the article. I.e. “what wine would you serve pop” , which is a fun question.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Andrew Morris
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#20 Post by Andrew Morris » April 21st, 2019, 3:52 pm

My brother played for Coach Popovich in college.

If I sent him a care package, what of Briceland would I put in it?

Clearly, none it our wines are in those lanes, but it must tell people here who know those wine about his stylistic preferences, no?
Andrew Morris
Briceland Vineyards - Humboldt's Finest Since 1985

jcoley3

#21 Post by jcoley3 » April 21st, 2019, 8:56 pm

c fu wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 3:40 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:
Yep. He started researching in October/nov of 2017. Finished it a couple months ago. So a little over a year.

He also had a lot more content that didn’t make it into the article. I.e. “what wine would you serve pop” , which is a fun question.
Baxter posted some of that on his Instagram. He started following me a week or two before the publication, and I saw it a couple of days ago.

I never knew they knew him, but I know the couple who helped Pop get his start in wine, too. Super folks, and super knowledgeable. too.
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by JDavisRoby » April 21st, 2019, 10:05 pm

A friend told me Pop’s private label is made by A to Z. Anyone know if that’s correct?
Joshu@

William Segui
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by William Segui » April 22nd, 2019, 6:45 pm

c fu wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 3:40 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:

If you liked the article, he has been posting a bunch of supplemental pieces to his Instagram (@baxter)

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Kris Patten » April 22nd, 2019, 7:28 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 10:05 pm
A friend told me Pop’s private label is made by A to Z. Anyone know if that’s correct?
Well, he is a partner in A to Z.
ITB

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by J.Vizuete » April 22nd, 2019, 7:48 pm

Those are great as well, thanks for the tip. Looks like he got a bottle of Rock and Hammer our of it ;)
John V.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by JDavisRoby » April 22nd, 2019, 8:06 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 7:28 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:
Looked up Baxter’s (OKC native done good in the big city) Instagram that William posted. It’s made by Rex Hill which I believe is owned by the same partners as A to Z?
Joshu@

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#27 Post by c fu » April 22nd, 2019, 8:07 pm

J.Vizuete wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 7:48 pm
Those are great as well, thanks for the tip. Looks like he got a bottle of Rock and Hammer our of it ;)
Baxter promised me he’d open with me. I told him this is basically a blood pact of the highest order.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by J.Vizuete » April 22nd, 2019, 8:22 pm

c fu wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 8:07 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:
Baxter promised me he’d open with me. I told him this is basically a blood pact of the highest order.
Yeah, you definitely can’t go back on that one and remain friends!
John V.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by JDavisRoby » April 22nd, 2019, 8:26 pm

c fu wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 8:07 pm
J.Vizuete wrote:
Like.
Joshu@

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Kris Patten » April 22nd, 2019, 8:41 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 8:06 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
April 22nd, 2019, 7:28 pm
JDavisRoby wrote:
Looked up Baxter’s (OKC native done good in the big city) Instagram that William posted. It’s made by Rex Hill which I believe is owned by the same partners as A to Z?
Yes, it is. To be more specific he partnered with A to Z owners to buy Rex Hill in 2006. I don't believe he owns any of A to Z, so my previous statement is a bit misleading....he owns part of a brand with their owners.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”