Paris-Roubaix with the Boys: 1993 Dunn HB, 1986 La Dominique, 2002 d’Armailhac, 2004 Giscours

MarcF and I gathered several of our cycling buddies for a replay of the famed Paris Roubaix bike race, the one race I’d want to win were I a pro. Defines cycling as a brutal sport of perseverance. The winner cycles for about 6 hours in crappy weather, on crappy roads, on multiple stages of cobbles that destroy bike parts, cause accidents and blow tyres. Unlike Tour de France, this is a race built for the big men, not the skinny climbers.

So of course we need some appropriate “old world” wines.

1993 Dunn Howell Mountain
Hard to beat - assuming you can find one that is actually mature - a mature Dunn. A glorious perfume that is both reminiscent of Bordeaux but with perfectly ripe California sunshine fruit. Always love the grainy texture, layers of mountain fruit, spanning the entire color spectrum. Finishes with a soft plum and balsam note, slightly drying on the back end. Drink up. (93 pts.)

1986 Chateau La Dominque
I have always had a soft spot for this once-classic St. Em. Jean Luc Thunevin took over sometime in the 2000s, so I moved on. The wines from the 1980s are glorious. This baby has a killer funk nose with a cab franc profile, earth, ash, leather, and always classic for La Dominque, tobacco. Loads of ripe tobacco leaf on the nose and palate. The palate is soft, wide open, plummy, mid-weight. Short finish. On the back-side, but lovely nonetheless. The nose here makes the wine. Is there an acronym for “nose of the night”? NOTN. (91 pts.)

2002 Chateau d’Armailhac
Another classic Bordeaux that I have bought over the many years, always priced right. My first 2002 d’Armailhac and it did not disappoint [incidentally, the 2002 sister wine, Mouton, is outstanding]. A four square, archetype Pauilliac: Pencil, cassis, dry earth. Not terribly exciting but perfectly enjoyable. Everything in place. Ready to enjoy. (90 pts.)

2004 Chateau Giscours
Perfumed, flowers, wet earth and rich dark fruit. Probably needs a couple more years to flesh out more but quite enjoyable now. Mid-weight palate, mostly dark fruits and a hint of leather. (90 pts.)

Apropos for the race, an old pic of my favorite
61B4545D-B5BB-4B3A-AD57-4B397FD8F655.jpeg
rider of the time, Hincapie.

This is a race for strong man ! You should have drunk Belgian beer , as Belgians won around 50 percent of all the races . Including last Sunday of course .

Just admit it, you’re afraid of hills.

And “Hell of the North” would be the appropriate beverage [cheers.gif] :

RT

I guess your scoring is conclusive proof that you have a new world palate.

Nice line-up, champ.

I see a commonality here Robert. There’s as much dirt on Hincapie as in a typical bottle of one of your favorite Levets or Raffaults.

Good catch, Doc!!

And yes.

Wait . . . a replay of a bike race?

Nice bunch of wines though

I can watch golf for hours and even I had that same reaction.

Here’s an interesting article on Dunn and high alcohol wines in blind tastings:

Maybe not as interesting as a replay of some dudes in spandex pedaling around France, but pertinent to a few threads.

This, Owlman. Proper protocol for watching the Spring Classics mandates drinking Belgian beer, and lots of it. Lambic, Trappist, Golden Ales - you have a plethora of delicious choices.

But if you must drink wine, that’s a fun lineup, although maybe Loire would have been more apropos due to all the dust and funk kicked up during the race.

As I indicated last year, you must go ride the sportive. With your build and cycling mindset, that course is ideal for you. But get ready for pain. 54.5 km of cobbles hurts!

I drool over this course! You planted the seed in my head. You know why I missed it last year, while a few buddies still went. I gotta get back on my game.

Golf, ha, K-John. Like watching grass grow. Unless you are people watching at the Masters, Berskmans’ style. [cheers.gif]

I’m still waiting for you guys to come and join the amateur Ronde Van Vlaanderen on Saturday ( day before the race , thousands join , including a lot of Yankees ) . I promise to organize a TOP dinner afterwards . For those who finish the 260 km .

But…it’s hilly! Owl-dude…training goal for 2020!

Herwig, looks like there are multiple Cyclosportif courses: 229, 174, 139 and 74 km.

http://www.werideflanders.com/en/

Would you ride too?

RT

Well, crud, I did that last year, along with the amateur Roubaix. As cool as it was to ride Roubaix, that was likely a one-off. But I definitely plan to ride RVV again - the most fun I’ve ever had on a bike. Also eyeing the amateur LBL.

Is that different than the amateur Paris-Roubaix?

Yes, he’s referring to the amateur Tour of Flanders (aka Ronde Van Vlanderen) sportive.

I also opened a 2002 d’Armailhac 2 weeks ago and I agree it was at a perfect age. TW still has some 2014’s laying around and I have a coupon.

Rob somehow I missed the 2014s but grabbed a 6-pack of the 2012 vintage at a clearance sale for $20 each. I grabbed them all and ran out the store like I stole it!

Same. Costco had some for 19.97 a few years back and I was more than happy to welcome them in to my house. d’Armailhac will never hit the OMG plateau, but they will put a smile on your face with as little as 7-10 years time.

I am shocked to learn that it is now a $50 wine

50 is the new 30.