TN: Few wines at Tequila Revolucion, Fairfield, CT

FEW WINES AT TEQUILA REVOLUCION - Tequila Revolucion (4/7/2019)

A few of us got together for some authentic Mexican food at Tequila Revolucion in Fairfield. A more casual spot, they served up some nice fair. We brought some killer wines to drink though and brought our own glasses to drink everything with.

• 2014 Scholium Project Blowout - USA, California
    Nose of apple, salt and slate. Flavors of grapefruit, star fruit and sour Beer almost. Ends with a 15+ second finish. This is very sour. It’s not bad. Just sour. I ended up dumping this wine because I just could not finish it. The Scholium Project wines I have had are very hit or miss. The one thing I will say though is that the guy likes to push the envelop and whether I like them or not, they are interesting to try. (87 pts.)
  • 2009 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne
    Aromas of slate, lime, mineral and hint of nut. Flavors of lime, slate, some citrus note I can’t identity and mineral. Ends with a long finish of 25-30 seconds with mineral notes. Not creamy but mineral driven with citrus notes. A very nice Dom but nothing like the 2002, my favorite recent vintage. (94 pts.)
  • 2002 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne
    Aromas of sour apple, mineral, bread dough and slate. Flavors of slate, bread dough, splash of citrus, mineral and a lime note on the finish that goes on for 35+ seconds. Totally different style of wine from the Dom. This had much more weight to it and was expansive on the palate. The Dom was more edgy and crisp. The Cristal is a very exquisite wine for sure. (96 pts.)
  • 2004 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    This was decanted 2.5 hours before serving. Aromas of earth, blackberry, currant, black cherry and hint of smoke. Flavors of iron, earth, blackberry, currant and smoke. Ends with long iron and smoke driven finish of 30+ seconds. I liked this more than some of the other people. They complained it had no structure but I did not share that compliant. I will say that this still needs more time to come together in my opinion. A very solid wine from a less renown vintage. (94 pts.)
  • 2012 Dominus Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Opened but not decanted at 3PM. Aromas of currant, blackberry, iron, mineral and cherry. Flavors of cherry, currant, blackberry, iron and earth. Ends with a long, long finish of 40+ seconds with blackberry and iron notes. This is still a baby and could have used a long decant. Tasting this after the Palmer was interesting because it wasn’t all that different in style but just a bigger, better wine. (97 pts.)
  • 2009 Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Oakville
    I decanted this for 4 hours before serving. Aromas of blackberry, currant, black cherry, plum and touch of iron. Flavors of cherry, currant, blackberry, grape and touch of earth. Ends with a large, long finish of 45+ seconds with blackberry notes. Had this last because it’s huge. It was an interesting evolution of styles, starting with the 04 Palmer, the 12 Dominus then this. I had this neck and neck with the Dominus. Schrader is always reliable to delivery a great wine drinking experience. (97 pts.)

Always a pleasure getting together with this group. Some great wines tonight!
Posted from CellarTracker