TN: 2016 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken Fuder #7

• 2016 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken Fuder #7 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (4/16/2019)
    "A prime example of what I call “hidden sweetness” – residual sugar playing a supportive and catalytic role while not engendering any overt sense of sweetness – this will perform brilliantly at table as well as in your cellar.” David Schildknecht - I pasted this last part of DS’s review on this same wine that perfectly encapsulates the perception of how the sweetness translates to the drinking experience; not troken nor Kabinett, it was very unique and damn tasty. Almost clear in color, I loved the smoky peach notes with biting grip. My first Halbtroken, my first Merkelbach, they won’t be my last. Yowzers. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Merkelbach is old school Mosel Riesling. Amazing producers. Get the wines while you can. The brothers are not getting any younger.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a Merkelbach halbtrocken for sale. I plan to look, thanks!

Well priced too, this was all win. Can’t wait to try the standard Spat, I have the 16 UW Spatlese #6 in the batters box.

2016 Alfred Merkelbach Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken Fuder #7 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (5/7/2022)
2 and a half years later, this has really filled in, both in terms of volume, shape and overall chugging factor. This almost leans ‘dry’ now, with the sweetness coming in very late on a precise finish. Lemon lime soda, but I mean that in the best possible way, some floral aspects too, white flowers perhaps. I should have bought a case of this in 2020. Lovely. (92 points)

1 Like

Thanks for the note. I bought two cases and change, now down to eight bottles. Sounds like it might be time to make it seven.

Thanks for the note, Dale! I was a big fan of this on release - reminded me a bit of a zippy Loire Sauv Blanc it was so herbal. Glad I scooped up a few, too.

Hi Suzanne! Good you chimed in here as I recall asking Saul for a German Riesling for folks who were adverse to anything close to having RS and this was his pick to win the group over, which it did with flying colors.

Nice, 10 points to Saul [cheers.gif]