GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: What's your house champagne?

#51 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » April 18th, 2019, 6:02 am

Legras bdb nv

LMD Ermitaño

#52 Post by LMD Ermitaño » April 18th, 2019, 6:45 am

I understand “house champagne” as one I regularly keep at home as a casual drink. That said, there is no one particular champagne. What I normally do keep on hand at home (as much as possible/available) are: Delamotte BdB NV; and,
Ulysse Collin Les Pierrières BdB NV.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by K John Joseph » April 18th, 2019, 7:18 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 11:42 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 9:29 am
I'm with you lads. I don't have house champagne. I guess I have more 2010 Suenen BdB than anything else, so that's the current house. But it's been Hebrart at times, Chartogne at times, Roederer at times. Just whatever is good and a good deal.
Apologies for the minor thread drift, but last fall I picked up a case of the 2012 Suenen Les Robarts. Never had it, but it came highly recommended as "something interesting".

We are opening one in a couple of weeks at a tasting. Any comments on airing time- or even decanting if advisable- would be welcome. I have no idea what to expect which is a lot of the fun, but it would be nice to take steps to let it show its best.
Oh man that's the first vintage! Never had it and not a lot of advice. The 2010 BdB is pretty tight and nervy, but really pretty good stuff. Mineral driven, but with enough chard and yeast richness to have balance with verve. I pop and pour damn near all of my champagne, so that's probably what I'd do...into a full size red glass...and then just swirl and take your time.

Make sure you post a note. I'm really curious.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Blake Brown » April 18th, 2019, 7:43 am

Although we have quite a few selections in various categories, the fav is probably NV Billecart-Salmon Rose although the 2012 Louis Roederer Brut and Brut Rose are getting a lot of love these days.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Josh Grossman » April 18th, 2019, 7:51 am

LMD Ermitaño wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:45 am
I understand “house champagne” as one I regularly keep at home as a casual drink. That said, there is no one particular champagne. What I normally do keep on hand at home (as much as possible/available) are: Delamotte BdB NV; and,
I think of it as something that I can easily restock and drink with reckless abandon (for me, that's less than $50). I feel like, too often, I look at Cellartracker drink dates, then go downstairs, and read the disgorgment dates, and decide that none of my 130 bottles of champagne (even the NV's) are quite ready and the few that are, I'm saving for special occasions. For me that's NV Ployez-Jacquemart Extra Brut (at only $30 or $20 for 375's). Before I found this, I was just going out and buying Roederer Estate the day of. Now I keep a case of Ployez-Jacquemart:

Disgorged March 2018; 2012 base (six years on the lees?), 39% Chardonnay, 22% Pinot Noir, 39% Pinot Meunier. Grapes are all premier cru or grand cru from near the village of Ludes in the Montagne de Rheims. WS, John Gilman, and Josh Reynolds all gave it 92 pts. It's in a more rich and long style, with rose and pear/orchard notes (as compared to a citrus and mineral style). Jesus is it quaffable. Even better, I don't have to think about when it's going to reach its apogee.

LMD Ermitaño

#56 Post by LMD Ermitaño » April 18th, 2019, 8:06 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 7:51 am
LMD Ermitaño wrote:
I think of it as something that I can easily restock and drink with reckless abandon....
Yes, that’s pretty much what I meant: a casual bubbly I keep on hand at home to open anytime. A good friend’s wine shop is the official Philippine distributor of both; so it’s not often that I run out.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by David Glasser » April 18th, 2019, 8:14 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:45 am
Frank Murray III wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 5:41 pm
I don't have one. I have spent a lot of time trying to assemble what I want in Champagne and I don't have more than 2-3 of some things so often for me, what is 'house' is what I want to share with my wife or the friends we have over.
Pretty much. I love champagne, and we drink a fair amount, but I like variety. I suppose I have been a return customer to the Bara rose over the years for value and quality but even there it was never what I'd call a house wine
This is true for me as well, and not just for Champagne.

I've also bought and cellared with a serious case of wine buying disorder for enough years now to have too many "special" bottles to be laying in cases of house wines. When I did have a house bubbly, many years ago, it was before the grower invasion hit. So it was always a NV from a big house, usually Pol Roger.

For larger groups where multiple bottles are opened at once, I've found Moncuit to be an inexpensive and readily available (Total Wine) compromise that appeals to the non-geeks where tastes run towards a bit of sweetness without being undrinkable for the more critical.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Neal.Mollen » April 18th, 2019, 8:22 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
LMD Ermitaño wrote:
I think of it as something that I can easily restock and drink with reckless abandon (for me, that's less than $50). I feel like, too often, I look at Cellartracker drink dates, then go downstairs, and read the disgorgment dates, and decide that none of my 130 bottles of champagne (even the NV's) are quite ready and the few that are, I'm saving for special occasions. For me that's NV Ployez-Jacquemart Extra Brut (at only $30 or $20 for 375's). Before I found this, I was just going out and buying Roederer Estate the day of. Now I keep a case of Ployez-Jacquemart:

Disgorged March 2018; 2012 base (six years on the lees?), 39% Chardonnay, 22% Pinot Noir, 39% Pinot Meunier. Grapes are all premier cru or grand cru from near the village of Ludes in the Montagne de Rheims. WS, John Gilman, and Josh Reynolds all gave it 92 pts. It's in a more rich and long style, with rose and pear/orchard notes (as compared to a citrus and mineral style). Jesus is it quaffable. Even better, I don't have to think about when it's going to reach its apogee.
I have a bunch of the Roederer estate in halves coming. K&L had them for dirt cheap some time ago; now I am pissed I didn't get them shipped before the weather turned. I've had it, and liked it, in the past, and for less than $10/bottle (I think?) seemed like a deal.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Josh Grossman » April 18th, 2019, 8:47 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 8:22 am
Josh Grossman wrote:
LMD Ermitaño wrote:

I have a bunch of the Roederer estate in halves coming. K&L had them for dirt cheap some time ago; now I am pissed I didn't get them shipped before the weather turned. I've had it, and liked it, in the past, and for less than $10/bottle (I think?) seemed like a deal.
Hard to beat that and so nice in 375s. Makes it easy to start a dinner for two with a champers style and switch to a red for the main. And that is about the same price as this:

mattccheung

#60 Post by mattccheung » April 18th, 2019, 3:24 pm

Just picked up a few Pierre Moncuit BdB to try. Getting warmer here in SoCal so these shouldn't last long.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Jud Reis » April 18th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Carlos Delpin wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 8:36 pm
For some reason we can source the Krug 375ml in PR for $45. At that tariff it is our house bubbles.
Makes for an excellent quaff on the golf course! champagne.gif

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Rick Allen » April 18th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Marie Courtin Resonance

Blair Ridley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Blair Ridley » April 18th, 2019, 4:58 pm

mattccheung wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 3:24 pm
Just picked up a few Pierre Moncuit BdB to try. Getting warmer here in SoCal so these shouldn't last long.
Nice. I think that's a great NV bottling.

jordan whitehead

#64 Post by jordan whitehead » April 18th, 2019, 5:22 pm

NV Delamotte Bdb
www.annaswish.org

Carlos Delpin

#65 Post by Carlos Delpin » April 18th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Jud Reis wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 3:59 pm
Carlos Delpin wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 8:36 pm
For some reason we can source the Krug 375ml in PR for $45. At that tariff it is our house bubbles.
Makes for an excellent quaff on the golf course! champagne.gif
True dat. Need to do it again! I’m presently in Boston visiting universities with my son. Almost made it to Troquet today.

Lee Short

#66 Post by Lee Short » April 18th, 2019, 7:59 pm

I'm with those who don't really have a stock house champagne, preferring to buy small lots for the most part.

If I had to pick the most common bottle, it would probably be Huet [grin.gif]

ykwon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by ykwon » April 18th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Yellow Label when I can get them for $33/per
y 0 n 9
k w 0 n

Mark.Ricca
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Mark.Ricca » April 20th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Another yes for Chartogne-Taillet CSA. We poured it at our wedding reception and have been stuck on it since then.
I have been working Tarlant Brut Zero into the lineup as well.
ITB
"Bacon would improve the flavor of an angel"
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
"We're a lot like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but the people who like licorice, really like licorice."

Sarah Kirschbaum

#69 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 20th, 2019, 1:11 pm

NV Egly-Ouriet rosé and NV Francis Boulard Les Murgiers are as close as we come. We happened upon a parcel of each at great prices and bought a lot.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by alan weinberg » April 20th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 1:11 pm
We happened upon a parcel of each at great prices and bought a lot.
hopefully not this month or the cellar thinning numbers are going to be ugly for April.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#71 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » April 20th, 2019, 2:41 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
April 20th, 2019, 1:11 pm
We happened upon a parcel of each at great prices and bought a lot.
hopefully not this month or the cellar thinning numbers are going to be ugly for April.
Ha, no. A number of years ago, when the EUR was approaching parity.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Craig G » April 20th, 2019, 2:49 pm

I haven’t been consistent with it but I’m trying to move toward Chartogne Taillet Sainte Anne plus a pipeline of several-year-aged Bollinger Special Cuvee.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Brad B a l l i n g e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Brad B a l l i n g e r » April 20th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Marc Hebrart Rosé NV
Bérêche NV
"We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink." - Cicero

mdavis

#74 Post by mdavis » April 20th, 2019, 8:28 pm

C-T Orizeaux and Les Barres
m=m.a.r.k

Andrew A r n t f i e l d

#75 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » April 21st, 2019, 12:22 am

These are semi-regular case purchases:

Larmandier-Bernier Longitude
Laherte Freres Grand Brut Ultradition

But this is the one of which I’ve bought the most over the years.

Pierre Moncuit Hughues de Coulmet BdB Brut

Chris L.

#76 Post by Chris L. » April 21st, 2019, 1:16 am

Our house sparkling recently has been House of Arras Brut Elite. Just can’t justify the extra tariff Champagne on the regular.
Chris L@ng

KyleC

#77 Post by KyleC » April 21st, 2019, 8:57 am

Clouet Brut
C h e n

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by alan weinberg » April 21st, 2019, 9:33 am

gravitating toward Ployez-Jacquemart, certainly a fine rosé and other wines.

mattccheung

#79 Post by mattccheung » May 6th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:02 am
Legras bdb nv
Tried this the other night, more brioche than what I prefer. Paired well with my fried chicken though!

dougwilder

#80 Post by dougwilder » May 7th, 2019, 2:28 pm

For some I think the definition of House Champagne is where you need to decide to pay for the Champagne, or pay for the house.
itb

M. Taylor

#81 Post by M. Taylor » May 7th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Josh Grossman wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 4:10 pm
NV Ployez-Jacquemart Champagne Extra Quality Brut
Visited them about 10 days ago — nice tour/tasting and really liked the champagne. Unfortunately haven’t been able to locate it in Austin so far.

Our house champagne that is always on hand is Ruinart (Blanc de Blancs and Rose)
M a r k

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Russ Williams » May 7th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Anything good under $40.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Fred Bower

#83 Post by Fred Bower » May 7th, 2019, 5:53 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 5:37 pm
Goutorbe Rose
Fan.
Fantastic.

Probably need to load up.

House wine is a variety of grower stuff (mostly), centered on price point and market availability. Right now, lots of Gimonnet, Chartogne-Taillet, Rene Geoffroy, Sabine Godme, and for rose, we got a good deal on some Ruinart. The Goutorbe was a couple-bottle sample purchase back at Thanksgiving. Was a feature with turkey dinner. Yum.

Cheers,
fred

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by T. Altmayer » May 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm

Billecart Salmon Rose or Ruinart BdB. My wife doesn’t love sparklers so when we do open one, its a little nice than a “house” wine
Tom

C Chen

#85 Post by C Chen » May 15th, 2019, 10:30 am

Eric Bordelet Poire Granit. Let's goooo.
curt1S ch3N
CT: C Chen

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Thomas Keim » May 15th, 2019, 11:07 am

My house bubbly is almost always a Prosecco or a Cremant de Bourgogne - Champagne is still special to me, so I just don't pop one on a Tuesday night just to have a glass or two. And I purchase my Champagne in 1-2 bottle lots and rarely have the same one twice in a row.

My current house bubbly is the 'Elém Valdobbiadene Superiore' - a superb Prosecco that just screams 'hot tub' -
ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by K John Joseph » May 15th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Russ Williams wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 5:47 pm
Anything good under $40.
There is a code for Wine.com that I used yesterday: getwine
Gives you $100 off a $300 purchase. I loaded up on Ayala brut and the net net price after taxes and shipping was way below that. Closer to $30, actually.
J0hn-J-K4ne

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by ky1em!ttskus » May 15th, 2019, 12:30 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 12:03 pm
Russ Williams wrote:
Anything good under $40.
Gives you $100 off a $300 purchase. I loaded up on Ayala brut and the net net price after taxes and shipping was way below that. Closer to $30, actually.
Enabler.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by K John Joseph » May 15th, 2019, 12:34 pm

ky1em!ttskus wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 12:30 pm
K John Joseph wrote:
Russ Williams wrote:
Anything good under $40.
Enabler.
Really though. What an effective coupon for me. $100 off a $300 purchase?!?! How could I possibly pass that up?
J0hn-J-K4ne

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by ky1em!ttskus » May 15th, 2019, 12:58 pm

K John Joseph wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 12:34 pm
ky1em!ttskus wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 12:30 pm
K John Joseph wrote:

Enabler.
Really though. What an effective coupon for me. $100 off a $300 purchase?!?! How could I possibly pass that up?
Don't ask me! I just ordered 6x Ayala Brut + 2x PYCM. [help.gif]

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by dcornutt » May 15th, 2019, 4:16 pm

MV Krug. It is expensive but it is my favorite and I serve it when I can.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Return to “Wine Talk”