TN: Matthiasson Chard MichaelMaraVnyd '15...(short/boring)

Wanted a white last night, so pulled:

1. Matthiasson Chard MichaelMaraVnyd/SonomaCoast/SonomaCnty (13.3%) 2015: Light gold color; fairly strong melony/appley/fresh pear/white fruits light stony/chalky/perfumed talc quite attractive fragrant nose; fairly tart/tangy bit rich (for Matthiasson) fresh apple/pear/crisp/Chard/some honeydew melon bit spicy/cardammon light stony/perfumed talc/chalky quite attractive flavor; very long crisp/apple/pear/quince/melon/Chard bit stony/perfumed talc finish; a quite attractive Chard on the classic Matthiasson coiled/spare/restrained/taut side but plenty of flavor and not at all lean & eviscerated; still has 4-7 yrs ahead of it. $55.00

A wee BP:

1. Steve has a IPoB distinctive style to his wines made by harvesting earlier and aiming for lower alcohols. When I first started trying his wines, I felt they were a bit too lean for my tastes. Even though the alcohols are usually lower than most, they still have plenty of flavor. I’ve grown to like them quite a lot…especially with food. Just got my Refosco & Schioppettino and looking forward to trying them.
    Steve is a very highly-regarded viticulture consultant, both in Napa & Sonoma. I presume this is one of his vnyds.
    Tom

I’ve always loved his mixed blend, Napa Valley White, and his Ribolla Gialla; I have to say I haven’t fallen hard for his chards or the little cab that I’ve had. Maybe too dialed down for me? (I know he works all over, so should have access to some of the best grapes, and I think he grows his own Merlot, but I haven’t tried it yet.)

Yup, Josh. His Cabs/Merlots do not appeal to me much…but I’m not a big fan of those varieties. Sometimes, I would like
a bit more richness in his reds (Zin/Refosco/Schioppettino). I like his LimerickLane Zin well enough, but prefer the ones
from LL/Bedrock/Carlisle and think the show the glories of that vnyd better.
Tom

Tom, I really enjoyed the Refosco when we visited Jill and Steve last July. I brought some back but have yet to open it. Need to open it soon and revisit what’s there.

So I’ve gleaned, Tom :slight_smile:. Don’t mind them myself and in fact have some nice ones I’ll be drinking soon…just not his.

Enjoy!
Josh