Massolino barolo "Rionda" 2000

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kelly Flynn

Massolino barolo "Rionda" 2000

#1 Post by Kelly Flynn » April 15th, 2019, 8:04 am

My Mom is a big fan of barolo, so her just-in-time decision to come over for steaks allowed for only a quick two-hour decant.

I have had other bottles from this producer in this general time period, and honestly I have not been overwhelmed.

This bottle, however, reminded me why we place barolo on a pedestal. The wine overall just had a palpable sense of gravitas about it. Nothing slutty here -- this was all class. Definitely on the "traditional" side of the barolo spectrum.

The aromatics are classic barolo -- tar and roses, supplemented to some extent by orange peel, black tea and maybe a hint of cinnamon. One thing I love about traditional nebbiolo is that, at its best, it smells and tastes like no other grape I know of.

In the mouth, the tannins are softening enough to allow just a hint of the wine's charms to be revealed, but they remain firm enough to remind us that this is still a relatively young wine. (The too-short decant probably did the wine a disservice.) The finish is VERY long, and smooth.

The wine was old enough to be starting to strut its stuff, but I suspect it has at least two decades left in it.

All told, a very nice positive surprise. Another endorsement came when my 6-year-old gave me a thumbs-up after taking a sip, with a tiny piece of steak. And Mom loved it too! 94
Last edited by Kelly Flynn on April 15th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Massolino barolo "Rionda" 2000

#2 Post by John Morris » April 15th, 2019, 8:06 am

Kelly Flynn wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 8:04 am
My Mom is a big fan of barolo, so her just-in-time decision to come over for steaks allowed for only a quick two-hour decant.
Is she opposed to capitalizing it on principle? neener

(P.S. Sounds great!)
"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

"It's hard for a $35 zin to compete with a $100 cabernet that tastes the same." – me, 2018

Laurent Gibet

#3 Post by Laurent Gibet » April 15th, 2019, 8:10 am

The Riserva 2009 and the Riserva X 2004 are great wines ...
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

Kelly Flynn

#4 Post by Kelly Flynn » April 15th, 2019, 8:17 am

John Morris wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 8:06 am
Kelly Flynn wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 8:04 am
Is she opposed to capitalizing it on principle? neener

(P.S. Sounds great!)
Read too much cummings?

Return to “Wine Talk”