Massolino barolo "Rionda" 2000

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Kelly Flynn

Massolino barolo "Rionda" 2000

#1 Post by Kelly Flynn » April 15th, 2019, 8:04 am

My Mom is a big fan of barolo, so her just-in-time decision to come over for steaks allowed for only a quick two-hour decant.

I have had other bottles from this producer in this general time period, and honestly I have not been overwhelmed.

This bottle, however, reminded me why we place barolo on a pedestal. The wine overall just had a palpable sense of gravitas about it. Nothing slutty here -- this was all class. Definitely on the "traditional" side of the barolo spectrum.

The aromatics are classic barolo -- tar and roses, supplemented to some extent by orange peel, black tea and maybe a hint of cinnamon. One thing I love about traditional nebbiolo is that, at its best, it smells and tastes like no other grape I know of.

In the mouth, the tannins are softening enough to allow just a hint of the wine's charms to be revealed, but they remain firm enough to remind us that this is still a relatively young wine. (The too-short decant probably did the wine a disservice.) The finish is VERY long, and smooth.

The wine was old enough to be starting to strut its stuff, but I suspect it has at least two decades left in it.

All told, a very nice positive surprise. Another endorsement came when my 6-year-old gave me a thumbs-up after taking a sip, with a tiny piece of steak. And Mom loved it too! 94
Last edited by Kelly Flynn on April 15th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Massolino barolo "Rionda" 2000

#2 Post by John Morris » April 15th, 2019, 8:06 am

Kelly Flynn wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 8:04 am
My Mom is a big fan of barolo, so her just-in-time decision to come over for steaks allowed for only a quick two-hour decant.
Is she opposed to capitalizing it on principle? neener

(P.S. Sounds great!)
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Laurent Gibet

#3 Post by Laurent Gibet » April 15th, 2019, 8:10 am

The Riserva 2009 and the Riserva X 2004 are great wines ...
www.invinoveritastoulouse.fr

Kelly Flynn

#4 Post by Kelly Flynn » April 15th, 2019, 8:17 am

John Morris wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 8:06 am
Kelly Flynn wrote:
April 15th, 2019, 8:04 am
Is she opposed to capitalizing it on principle? neener

(P.S. Sounds great!)
Read too much cummings?

Return to “Wine Talk”