1947 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage -- Advice on When to Decant

This is a last-minute request for advice on when to decant a 1947 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage (fill almost into neck; recent slight seepage [from UPS shipping?])…

It’s a birth year wine that I’ll be serving at dinner on Sunday, April 14 (tomorrow, as I write this).

Quick internet search says wines over 40 years old should be decanted just before serving. However, I saw the following post from CellarTracker.com on the same 1947 Quinta do Noval port (coincidentally with same fill level and seepage) that reads as follows:

3/17/2012 - JEFF W WROTE:
“The bottle had a good level, around the base of the neck, but was showing seepage. I removed the cork about four hours beforehand, and decanted just before serving.
The colour was a watery, muddy red-brown - quite unappetising, unlike the nose, which was very inviting. Though the fruit had faded, there was plenty of acidity to balance the sweetness, and all in good harmony. It was a gentle port, and rather dignified and refined in an elderly way. The party had some wine geeks, but mainly not, and all were respectful of age - the decanter was quickly polished off.
I kept back a small glass and tried it 24 hours later. Now it had woken up, acquiring fire and power. A lovely old port, but I rather regret not giving it a much longer decant.”

I know nothing about port. Any advice will be appreciated. Based only on note above, I would decant the morning of the dinner. What do you think?

Thanks.

Bob G.

I would open and decant in the morning and see how it shows.

After that either double decant back to a clean bottle and cork it or let it sit in the decanter.

I just had a beautiful bottle of 1963 that needed no decanting (and didn’t budge for four days). I would not see any harm in decanting, of course, as long as you plan to consume it within, say, 24 hours, as opposed to nurse it over several days (bear in mind that Port tends to be consumed in small portions).

Not that you asked, but since you plead ignorance on Port generally, the most important advice I can give is to stand up the bottle for at least ten days to allow sediment to settle.

Enjoy, and be sure to post your notes.

Jonathan

I have this same bottle for a birth year present for my dad & father in law (picked up at auction a few months ago, it was a 2 bottle lot and I picked up 1… wonder if you are the other buyer?). Very keen to learn about your entire experience! I’ll be opening mine in 2 months for father’s day in June alongside a '47 Barolo I picked up as well for the occasion (two shots at the title!)

Double decanted late morning for evening dinner, served with post-entree cheese plate at Bleu Provence (Naples, FL).

Shared between five of us, including two experienced/expert tasters. All agreed the port was excellent / showing great. I thought “powerful and smooth.”
I would buy again for a 1947 birth year wine (paid < $400), and repeat the same decant/timing. Thanks go all for recs.

Bob G.

Did you taste the wine over the morning? Did it noticeably open up over time? Also, for how long did you stand for sediment?

Thanks!

Ps tasting note!

Did not taste port in the morning (but do not think it could have been better than it was 9 hours later when served…

Did not stand for sediment (decanted through mesh screen into decanter, then poured back into rinsed original bottle.)

My pallet admittedly not good… However, powerful, but smooth and refined, IMHO. Any bottle variation aside, I believe you and your party will REALLY like it.

Did not taste port in the morning (but do not think it could have been better than it was 9 hours later when served…

Did not stand for sediment (decanted through mesh screen into decanter, then poured back into rinsed original bottle.)

My pallet admittedly not good… However, powerful, but smooth and refined, IMHO. Any bottle variation aside, I believe you and your party will REALLY like it.

This was also my birth year wine. We decanted it in the morning before we served it at dinner. This wine was incredible. Even with decanting it opened slowly over the evening but by 9:00 was fully open with walnuts and orange peel in the nose. No heat and no obvious fruit left but very subtle. You should enjoy it. Certainly cheaper than the alternative which was a Cheval Blanc that would have been about $3,000 if we could find it.