TN: JosephPhelps Scheurebe LateHrvst '83...(short/boring)

Tried this ystrday afternoon:

1. JosephPhelpsVnyds Scheurebe NapaVlly LateHrvst (10.3%; RS: 12.2%; SaH: 30.0%) StHelena 1983: Deep golden/burnished bronze color; fairly strong botrytis/apricotty/peachy beautiful BA-like slight herbal bit pencilly/cedary quite complex nose; quite sweet very strong botrytis/peachy/apricotty slight cedary/pencilly rather BA-like seamless complex flavor not quite as high-toned as the R; very long/lingering quite sweet/BA-level very botrytis/apricotty/peachy slight cedary/pencilly beautiful complex finish that goes on & on; a bit more herbal than the R; beautiful/complex BA-like level wine w/ no signs of oxidation whatsoever; a beautiful intense BA.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Had some WineBerserker friends over for some heavy-duty apps Thurs afternoon. Think we opened about 13 btls (for 5 people), mostly reds. We started w/ the SandiSkerk Ograde '16, one of the finest skin-contact whites around. We opened this w/ the dessert, a RedChile Pecan bar soaked in (too much) Bourbon. I didn’t work.

1. This BA was much lighter than expected. Mostly old Calif BA/TBA’s this old have turned a very dark brown like molasses. I suspect, given his German winemaking background, WalterShug used more SO2 than most Calif producers were using. Hence the oxidative color was protected against.
    Tom

This was easily the wine of the day for me, I hope you have more bottles of this as it should last for many more years.

This was the wine of the day, nice to taste an older wine that is still showing this fresh.

Nope, Dave…last one. But happy to share it with you and Chris. But I do have a btl of the Riesling left.
Tom

What a blast from the past - what vineyard site was that wine from? Estate fruit? I remember just loving these when they were young -

Was the SaH figure on the label?

I have a picture of the label, what were you looking for?

IMG_1813.jpg

Yup…down on the bottom of the label.
Tom

I was fortunate enough to have the '85 version of this wine 9 years back due to the generosity of Berserker, Eric Ifune. It remains one of the best California wines I’ve ever had. I mean, its remarkable by itself that a ever back then major house like Phelps would bother with a barely known grape from Germany but to then make a terrific late harvest wine with it. I assume its all gone now.

We had the '85 of this in January and it was weird enough that I didn’t even write a note on it. It was totally blown off the table by a 375ml of '82 Phelps Special Select Late Harvest Riesling.

I believe the Special Select Late Harvest is a TBA in style, while the Late Harvest is more a BA in style.

Yeah, it’s 25% RS and dark brown.