TN: 2015 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne)

Not that red Burgundy is really my forte but I think this is the best one I’ve had right after Coche-Dury’s. I picked this bottle at Caves Madeleine in Beaune and I think I made a huge mistake not buying more. A learning experience, if anything.

• 2015 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (12.4.2019)
    Popped and poured into large Bourgogne bowls. The nose is not big but it is very pretty and articulate; on the savory side with bright cherry fruit and some perfume. On the palate very light on its feet and more than anything very much nonchalant. That said it does have both structure and quiet power. Remarkably focused with a mouth-puckering quality to the finish. Once again quite savory, obviously the goal has been to avoid any extra ripeness and in my books they have nailed it here. I love the grip, this is a very serious wine without a lot of concentration nor any make-up. On the other hand it’s by no means as lean as an Enderle & Moll wine for example. Damn, I think I may just have found my stylistic ideal for Pinot Noir here.

Posted from CellarTracker

Still annoyed envoyer ended up not being able to get these.

I always love when a humble bottle of Bourgogne rouge impresses. Marsannay is my go-to village for knock out Pinot in the $30-$40 range.

I got my originals from Envoyer, but on the re-boot, apparently their supply didn’t come thru.

One of my fav producers and I love their Bourgogne.

There are a number of very impressive humble bottles of Bourgogne rouge and similar wines. IMHO, the Hudelot-Noellat is a great buy almost every year. Another excellent buy is the Chorey les Beaune from Domaine Dublere.

the 2016 is a killer awesome wine

I bought a case of '15 H-N Bourgogne at $26, and, honestly, I felt like I was stealing it. Tremendous value and really delicious bottle. I’m hoping to be able to leave a few to see how they develop…

The bottle I had was terrible. Totally disconnected. Bought and tasted in Burgundy in the summer [edit: winter] so not heat affected. [Edit: Mildly corked?]

2015 Chevillon BR was better, but not brilliant. May improve with time, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Got a case from Envoyer at the same price and you are right, it is like stealing. Good someone took one for the team as I was thinking of cracking one soon. I was stupid not to get 2 cases. This will be like the $20.00 Leroy Bourgogne Rouge I used to get back in the day.

Perhaps your palate is flawed?

That was painful for me as well.

WTF? Upset you, did I?

Sarcasm James. Sarcasm.

But you are pretty much at odds with the rest of the world on H-N Bourgogne, so…

I bought a case for $27/per only a few months ago… they are still out there and you don’t need Envoyer!

Single bottle experiences only.

NN and Chevillon EP tasting was very positive. As was Chevillon barrel tasting at the Domaine.

PS original message edited with a correction and an additional comment.

Question - is the HN vosne or chambolle a noticeable step up from the bourg rouge? Or not worth the money - buy brouge instead?

Curious for other folk’s thoughts. I had a 2015 bourgogne and a 2012 Chambolle the same night, and found them to very similar, but the Chambolle was a much better wine. However, the Chambolle was over 2x the cost ($64 vs. $27). I think the “worth the money” is a difficult question to answer in this situation, and I’m curious what other opinions would be. I don’t think they were over 2x as good, but they were the wines I preferred to drink; I wish the villages were cheaper.

Ok good. I got the chambolle and vosne but no Bourgies.

St least they were “better” side by side. Worse if they cost 2x but taste 0.5x. :wink: