What green vegetable goes best with red wine

Planning a lunch with some serious wines, and a simple menu of roast chicken and duck fat potatoes. Stuck on the greens, inclining to spinach with some garlic, any other ideas?

Broccolini with garlic, olive oil, and pignoli…

More wondering out loud:
zucchini carpaccio with Parmesan
zucchini carpaccio with Provence seasoning
Baked zucchini stuffed with seasoned rice
Brussel sprouts tossed with bacon
Strewed Collard greens with bacon
Artichokes with balsamic
Braised endives
Stuffed squash blossoms

If they have to be green then I’d go with zucchini with some seasoning, butter, and a little cheese. I have cooked up Brussels sprouts with coconut butter in the past and they became much more savory with a a little seasoning.

Does it have to be green? I like roasted Cauliflower with red burg.

If so, spinach with olive oil and garlic is generally a safe choice (albeit not a wow pairing).

Try adding some sliced garlic to the B-sprouts’ pan after a few minutes, as another layer of complexity. Slice not too thin, or they may blacken; brown crunchy and mild is the goal for the garlic.

What about the theory of avoiding asparagus, Brussels, broccoli and cauliflower for wine due to the chemical make up?

I also would avoid all of those, sans cauliflower, which does work, as Jay said above.
Mark- If me, I’m going with your first inclination of spinach and garlic. Couple drops of soy will give a little umami punch.

Another good choice is sauteing escarole in olive oil with garlic.

Haricot vert (or even regular string bean) vinaigrette?

Green huh? Sprinkle some chopped parsley on your deliciously slow roasted Nantes carrots! [wink.gif]

I generally agree with Dennis. Though char roasted broccoli can sometimes work.

I like the spinach idea – could also do sauteed kale. Also agree with adding a little soy sauce or even fish sauce for some umami.

Broccoli, asparagus, sugar peas, sno peas, okra…pretty much anything, except artichoke.
It won’t be as if you are ONLY having a green with a red, as I’m assuming you will have other food on the plate as well with which to take a bite out of.

I would say asparagus is one of the worst, too. Braised greens can go well IMO (kale, collard, etc). Similar as to you are thinking about spinach, but of course cooked longer to break them down.

We do this at home and it seems to work okay. We’re more inclined to have a salad starter with champagne before transitioning to meat and root veggies with wine. If we’re going to do veggies, I take a head of broccoli, cut the florets into a relatively small size, toss with a good dose of olive oil, sea salt, and crushed peppercorns. Then bake for about 22 minutes or so at 450. The outside gets a little crispy, but seals in the juices and olive oil making for a salty, very tasty treat. It is just about the only way we cook broccoli now. We do the same with cauliflower and it’s great with roast chicken or red meat.

Er, which serious wines?
Agree on avoiding asparagus.
Brussel sprouts sauté w bacon might be good with say Syrah.

I eat green vegetables with every main meal, and drink red wine with 40-50% of all dinners. I have never found a conflict. Sauteing or roasting the vegetables with onion and adding a bit of balsamic vinegar makes a good match for heartier reds (especially ones with a little VA, it helps cover it up)

Aside from asparagus and artichoke, I think most of the other suggestions will work if prepared in a wine-friendly way.

Roasting works very well for broccoli and brussell sprouts, which I find work less well with wine if they’re steamed or sauteed. Zucchini, which is pretty bland normally, can actually be quite tasty when roasted.

In lieu of vinegar, I often use a little lime for acidity. It’s much less tart than lemon or vinegar, and gives a fruitier note that can work well even with serious red wines. But vinegar and lemon will work, too, if you go easy.

A pesto is another thing to consider. I make a ramp/walnut pesto in season and freeze it. Traditional Ligurian basil pesto works, too. You can tone it down a bit by using arugula or more parsley and less basil if that’s your preference.

Braised endives. Braise them in butter and they lose their bitterness, take on some earthiness, and have some fat on them to handle the acid and tannin.

I would avoid bitter greens and asparagus or artichoke. Other than that, anything can work if seasoned properly. Onions and garlic are your friends as long as they get cooked thoroughly, until their color has darkened a bit. Make sure the dish has enough salt. Roasting is a great idea, but not necessary. Although not green, cauliflower is one of the more versatile options.